Mistercraft Su-22m4R, Iraqi Air Force, 1990, when the going got tough...

6 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

I'll try to remember to give them a coat of decal film before I try mine

As I was soaking them I though that very same thing, but it was too late!  

2 minutes ago, exdraken said:

Hope you manage to take the decals!

I'll have to replace the Eduard MIg set somehow...

• Like 1

I am almost finished with this one.  I have Florywashed the top and bottom and attached the ordinance, as it were, mostly recon gear.  According to one profile sent to me by a Forum member @Jabba  the Iraqi recon Fitters often had a single drop tank on the starboard outer wing pylon to off-set the weight of the electronics on the port side.  I have set it up thusly, if at least for an interesting, non-bilateral, look.  I still have to reattach the wing-root cannons, pitot and radar,  and I might do some dark pinwash oils on the topside.  The landing  gear needs to go on.

50995774912_34562316f1_c_d.jpg

Underside...

50995659661_143bbff24d_c_d.jpg

Landing gear.  Note that I need to repair the nose-wheel a bit.  I lost one of the support struts somewhere.

50995774937_4743f10fab_c_d.jpg

--John

• Like 3

Looks good with paint on, pity about the decals. It may have helped by applying Micro film to the decal sheet beforehand if you have any (It seals the decals, by putting a film over them). I am not sure if Klear works in this way as well?

5 minutes ago, Jabba said:

It may have helped by applying Micro film to the decal sheet

Tanks Jabba.

Yes...I thought of that later.  It's OK.  The Eduard decals were better--and in register.  I didn't lose anything imho.

She's finished.  This was a large aircraft, easily 1/3 bigger than the Mig-21.  The kit was ok.  It needed some tweaking and, true to form, had a strange set of plans, but I think I cobbled together a decent looking Fitter.  There are better kits out there and I plan on building one someday.  For now, I move on to something else...

50999309172_e400b78ea9_c_d.jpg

The rest are in the gallery!

-John

• Like 9

Looks good John.

As to the decs I find a couple of thin coats of varnish helps to keep them together but it also stiffens them a little which can sometimes be a problem. MS Decal Film may therefore be better, as it did work well on mine in the past, then it seemed to go off - perhaps it has a limited shelf life, though it was a few years old?

Pete

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PeterB said:

Looks good John.

Thank you!

5 hours ago, Jabba said:

Nice finish especially with all the decal problems that you had. Well done.

Thanks.  Not really a big problem.  

9 hours ago, Vultures1 said:

Nice result John!

Thanks Vultures1!

8 hours ago, modelling minion said:

That is a great result John, especially considering the decals disintegrating on you, good job you had some spare ones from your Mig-21.

Very well done mate.

Thanks Craig.  I will have to find others to replace the Mig-21 markings, but that is in the future...

• Like 1