Mistercraft Su-22m4R, Iraqi Air Force, 1990, when the going got tough...

Here's my next...I think this is one of the aircraft that "defected" to Iran in 1990. The supplied profile says '1989' so that fits the timeline at least.  "Defected"...yes....they ran away.  

50910725501_882855fdd7_c_d.jpg

The sprue looks good.  Short on internal detail but the exterior panel lines look pretty good.  Note that the rocket pods on the box art are not in the kit.  I might use some that I have laying about unless someone corrects me along the way.  There are plenty of whiz-bangs supplied with the kit.

50946662642_e5ff41113d_o_d.jpg

The decals look alright. They are a little bit off-register but I think they will pass the 75cm test.

50946662287_9ae7547627_c_d.jpg

And this is the aircraft...

50946557406_1b36972889_c_d.jpg

I'll get into it tonight after a bit of online research regarding cockpit colours.  Weather report for Paros...cold, high winds from the north, periods of rain throughout the week, some quite heavy.  Perfect modelling weather.  

--John

• Like 9

nice!

"defected" - "run away"  - they were ordered to evacuate to Iran... not sure why Saddam though that the country he was at war with 2 years earlier would give them back actually!

:wall:

which by the way they did partly (Su-25 are documented at least!), but way later and under totally different circumstances! 

And here I go...Step 1...the swing wing...

50949283591_4b56be3eda_c_d.jpg

The plastic quality is quite good and the panel detail subtle.  The pieces required a little bit of cleaning up but not much.

50949382902_e3e21b44bb_c_d.jpg

Et voila!

50949283631_f0818e7e7b_c_d.jpg

Step 2 was the exhaust nozzle.  Hmmm...not so great but there it is.  There is flash inside the tube...and I hate these internal 'X' moulding lugs.  They are a pain to remove cleanly.   

50949283526_8d348cfa63_c_d.jpg

But it looked alright in the end...no pun intended!  😆

50949382837_03136078d5_c_d.jpg

Step 3...the K-36DM ejection seat on the instructions looks really nice--super detailed, etc...

50948578523_2bee10017a_c_d.jpg

The reality is much more basic.  I will improve it a bit but this build will be a closed canopy aircraft, so no need to go crazy.  It will suffice.

50949382862_18c42e3ee1_c_d.jpg

More to come!

--John

• Like 7
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

and here you go ahead!

great work on the wings! th nozzle indeed leaves a bit to be desired.... :(

seat: paint it black! and dry bush the edges....

if you want more detail, I'd work on the stabilization tubes and the headrest only....probably add a cushion and important, red ejection handles!

31 minutes ago, exdraken said:

great work on the wings! th nozzle indeed leaves a bit to be desired.... :(

Thanks @exdraken.  Not to worry.

Here's some fun.  Leftover decal IP from the Warthog...

50949279313_784b04670b_c_d.jpg

Easily cut up into little pieces...

50949984431_1b3deb4a4a_c_d.jpg

And then attached to the cockpit area...I like it!  From beneath the glass, it'll look alright.  I'll add a bit of harness to the seat.  Ejection handles?

Hmmm...maybe.

50950082032_90c16ec0f5_c_d.jpg

And this is fun.  This goes into the fuselage beneath the dorsal spine and connects to the wings inside the aircraft.  I think it allows for swing but keeps the wings swinging at the same time.  Interesting bit of modelling engineering!

50949279198_97cc04e351_c_d.jpg

It'll all get closed up tonight...

--John

• Like 4

This is all coming together rather quickly.  A Eduard kit it is not, but that's ok.  

I did this, and then a little bit layer I did the wings with their swingy thingy...

50950491731_a95d3fa3f5_c_d.jpg

Swung back...

50950587017_8b5266def8_c_d.jpg

Swung forward...

50950586977_b49ec50775_c_d.jpg

The stabilizers have a swing thing too, which allows one to position them.

50949783383_42ba5096c9_c_d.jpg

I am leaving them pointing straight/horizontal.

50950586847_ffaf562bcb_c_d.jpg

I will let that all set up for the night and tomorrow I will tackle the rather large gaps in the wing roots. Milliput to the rescue!

--John

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, Vultures1 said:

That swingy-thingy is a novel piece of model engineering. 

Thanks Vultures1.

I am impressed by its simplicity which is why it probably works.  It will give me a chance to really make it work.  I have seen images that show the hidden section that swings in is NMF.  Fun painting.

Unfortunately,  I think I need to reposition the wings in an anhedral droop, like the Mig-19.  That's easy enough to do.

I'm liking the look of this John, I've one of Mistercrafts Su-17s in stock, same plastic I think, originally from a company called Pantera, whoever they were/are, according to Scalemates. They go pretty cheap on t'Bay & the schemes they wore are pretty neat so I might grab another 1 or 2. :)

Steve.

Don't you know...I forgot the 10g of lead...

50951551093_18f26574fa_c_d.jpg

So out comes the Dremel and I drill out the nose-wheel bay.  I can easily replace this with some plastic card.

50952349962_3640410e09_c_d.jpg

And I smash down some lead sinkers so I can cut them up into strips and shove them into the space...

50952349947_f042b9c2ba_c_d.jpg

And secure them with some school glue so the don't rattle about...

50952252286_c42136d999_c_d.jpg

OK.  Tragedy narrowly averted!

--John

• Like 7

1 hour ago, desert falcon said:

You are certainly making good progress

Thanks!  There are not too many pieces, really, so it comes together quickly.  Trying to interpret the instructions and match them up with the parts on the sprue is the hardest part.  

After having packed what seemed like about 10 kilos of PPP into the cracks and crevasses of this bird and masked the canopy, I am ready to let to dry overnight.  I will attache the canopy tomorrow and give it some primer.  Then see where else I need to fill!  Just kidding.  It feels ok at the moment.

50959708921_fec584b360_c_d.jpg

--John

• Like 6

I have one of these produced by Hobbycraft in 1989, which may make it the earliest "normal" injection moulded version to be produced in 1/72. It is basic but not too bad. Yours looks like it will be a better kit John.

Pete

1 hour ago, PeterB said:

produced by Hobbycraft in 1989

Thanks Pete...It might be the same kit.  Check Scalemates.  This one is pretty basic too.

I checked...not the same but I get the impression that moulds have been shared over the years.

• Like 1

Had the Ural Guardian boxing in the stash for last 2 years having been too chicken to build it in case of issues, so watching along, a heads up though on the only other mistercraft kit I’ve purchased and built the decals disintegrated so a coat of varnish on them probably should be in order 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John Masters said:

Thanks Pete...It might be the same kit.  Check Scalemates.  This one is pretty basic too.

I checked...not the same but I get the impression that moulds have been shared over the years.

Thanks John,

Yes a lot of the "Former Eastern Bloc" companies seem to have come and gone quite frequently but the moulds seem to have survived by changing hands.  For example, the current KP company is only a distant relation to the original "Prostejov Metal Works" one I believe, having gone through numerous "iterations" as it were.

Pete

8 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

the only other mistercraft kit I’ve purchased and built

Thanks PhantomBigStu.  The only other one of these I built was a Hawker Hunter a few years ago,  Egads, what project that turned out to be!  This is a better kit, but it retains a sense of that line of quality.

8 hours ago, PeterB said:

"Prostejov Metal Works"

Wow!  I never knew that...