Revell F/A-18C Hornet 1:72

This is my next project:

spacer.png

This is my first model were the panel lines are raised.  I'm not going to be re-scribing them: 1 - Because I don't want to and 2 - because I don't have a small razor saw to scribe the lines with.  I have bought a scribing tool but can't seem to get on with it.

spacer.png

I've watched a few videos on Youtube about weathering and I'm thinking of giving the thinned oil wash a go like this here: https://youtu.be/FXerpuOthXk (7:30)

So far I have removed parts from the sprue and sanded them down, assembled the cockpit, primed, painted, glossed and decaled the consoles. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

I used tamiya masking tape folded on itself and painted in sand yellow matt 361 16 and a bit of foil for the buckle. 

spacer.png

From this image, you can see that more Microsol is required to help the decal conform to the switches and buttons on the consoles.  I'll report back.

Edited by FredmeisterPNE
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, FredmeisterPNE said:

This is my first model were the panel lines are raised.  I'm not going to be re-scribing them.

From this image, you can see that more Microsol is required to help the decal conform to the switches and buttons on the consoles.  I'll report back.

You don't need to rescribe them mate. if you have a pastel pencil like Stabilo's 'Carbothello" line, you can gently pass each line with it and then again gently with your finger swipe the excess.

This is what I did recently on one of my kits.

I have tried it on both matt and glossed surfaces and on both instances the pastel stayed on the surface. 

Good luck with your build, it has some very interesting markings!!!

Cheers,

Bill

Well, I managed to get the console decals to conform a bit more, and applied a spot of dry brushing with the aim to bring out the parcel shelf avionics a bit more:

spacer.png

y4mCMW2tGXVXHm8hOtVPkTTN3bYaCaR6ZEeCC8N_

Whilst waiting for the cockpit and fuselage attachment to dry I knocked up the drop tanks.  I've prepped a few other bits too.  Got the main wheels glued and nose wheels sanded down.  They were moulded offset.  

y4mQEiRCKQWiZfP35y4NcOCeoesstQrNVeVZrFnt

y4mP2i1arvvMEBM3A_rE0_sB0tKqcooh-nWCt5PV

y4ma0-xxwcEhqzCm-BS4eQJS8Zn6rZqnhDvj1pRC

y4mvtbCr6UONabrW1h9omKVM-fnEL_6Kajgg4cuN

Managed to get the wings, tail fins, nose cone (not pictured) and fuselage glued this evening.  Currently setting.  Perhaps get to priming stage tomorrow but see how the bonding process goes, may need some filler.  Never sure sometimes whether the wing gaps are to be used as panel lines or whether to fill and sand to appear as no joint.   Managed to sand the joint at the nose.  The line is visible but the surface is smooth so hopefully will be hidden once primed and painted. 

y4mpw_eXyIysVb_bjF4xDdAcXBnFpu6LiVrTo9I4

y4mgteRCoboQo74lw6WXKG91D3Xku5YWmKo4h8gP

• Like 3