Malian Air Force Mil Mi-24 'Hind D'

Smudge

So I got home from work tomorrow/today, and took some pictures of progress so far.

The cockpit, which always seems to take up too much time. I used my Colourcoats cockpit turquoise for the first time. Needed two coats for a nice deep solid colour, but I do like it. The kit comes with instrument panel decals with a black background. I cut out some details and added them to the turquoise panels. Not 100% accurate, but I think it gives a fair representation of the real thing. It's all kit parts with some tape seat belts.

20210312_183904

20210312_183923

20210312_184020

Quick test fit in the fuselage.

20210312_184056

I'll put a few more on in a bit...................

Cheers.

• Like 5

The Main Rotor Head is quite nicely done, and is also fair representation of the real thing. However, the rather prominent hydraulic hoses needed adding. I used fuse wire for this, which was a little tough to manipulate, but submitted eventually. The central hub also sits a little low, so I punched out a plastic disc to lift it up a little.

20210312_184305

The kit comes with a neat little etch fret, with wiper blades and a little part for the tail rotor. I also added some more fuse wire hoses.

20210312_184135

Thanks for looking :)

• Like 7

Whilst waiting for the cockpit paint's to dry before moving on to the next stage, I made up a couple of sub assemblies.

The engine front's, and the chin sensor's and gun unit,

20210312_185948

And the stub wings, pylons and rocket launchers. These parts all needed a fair bit of fettling, and the pylons needed a touch of filler.

20210312_185828

Couldn't resist having a mock up and test fit to see how things were shaping up.

20210312_190351

20210312_190333

I will be fitting the rocket launchers, but I'm not too sure what might be hung on the end plates/pylons (if anything). The kit supplies some nice looking little missiles, but I don't think these are appropriate. I can't find any pictures of armed Malian Hinds. Any ideas?

Thanks for looking :)

Edited by Smudge
  • Like 5

That is very nice work Smudge, and excellent progress.

Nice touch with the hydraulic hoses on the rotor, just done the same on my build.

In terms of the anti-tank missiles on the pylons I wouldn't bother fitting them. If they are carried they will be the later AT-6 Spirals rather than the AT-2 Saggers which come in the Hasegawa kit, and seeing them in pictures of any African Mi-24/25/35's is very unusual, I am leaving them off my build.

• Thanks 1

The fuselage parts are now joined together. Only needed a few smidges of filler here and there. The chin gun fairing and sensors were a nice fit. I also made a start on some of the smaller details like the crew step and various aerials.

20210319_190924

I did consider painting the stub wings before gluing them on, but because of the join that would need cleaning up, I decided just to glue them on first.

20210319_190944

The area behind the engine intakes required the most filler, but not too much work really. 

20210319_191119

20210319_191010

I used a burnt metal AK Extreme paint, airbrushed onto the exhausts. Looks quite good, just need to be careful not to damage it, and take care masking them off.

Going quite well, so far  :)

Cheers.

• Like 6

There is a small sensor fairing on the rear of the rotor head/engine 'dog house' on the Mali Hinds. Unfortunately this part is not supplied in this version of Hasegawa's Hind.

But, some time ago I did buy a small mould and resin part making kit off of ebay, so now seemed like a good time to bite the bullet and give it a go.

I have the Hind E, and this has the part.

I needn't have worried, it was fairly straight forward. After a couple of practice mixes to get the right consistency, I managed to produce some reasonable copies.

20210319_191253

:)

• Like 6

Thank you @Colin W Yes, the canopy is nice and thin. too. I hope I can do it justice with an attempt at masking the frames off. 

Work and home life are getting the better of me, but I have managed to fix on and blend in the home made fairing.

20210327_191316

As the undercarriage bays and legs all appear to be the same blue as the underside, I decided to go ahead and glue them all on.

20210327_190939

I popped the rotors on to get a feel of how they are fitting. Not too sure about the moulded in droop. Need to compare it to a few photographs.

20210327_191123

Nearly ready for some painting............

:)

• Like 12

• 2 months later...
9 hours ago, exdraken said:

any plan for painting it?

. :please: ;)

Hi. Yes, sorry about stalling on this one. I think I am developing a phobia of using paint 😬 Had some poor results trying to hand brush, and then getting in a right mess trying to use my airbrush. 

I guess I am going to have to bite the bullet and get on with it.

Thanks for the kind comments :)

• Like 1

Yea, go on and get the compressor fired up ;). She’ll look great! Of course, I can hardly talk as my Malian is stuck on the shelf!!!! :(

Martin

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Blimey, was it June 4th when I said I'd get on with this? Time is just flying by, and I don't seem to have too much of it for modelling :(

Anyhow, I did manage to give the bench a good tidy up, and get focused on this one.

The Main and Tail Rotors are pretty much done, ready to be popped on.

20210622_201639

Although I'm sure I'll knock them off, I fixed the remaining aerials on to the top of the fuselage. I prefer to fix them on first, rather than after painting, as that tends to risk damaging the paint finish.

20210622_201419

Engine intake covers in place, and a test fit of the canopy, which now needs masking up. I have splashed out and bought a masking set for this one as it is rather complex. 

20210622_201401

And I finally got some paint on it. Only the 'easy' underneath solid blue colour, but it went on nicely and I'm pleased with the result.

20210622_201457

{It's a much brighter blue than it appears on my screen}

So next step will be to tackle the topside camo scheme. Hopefully I'll find some time towards the weekend.

Cheers Guys.

• Like 5

Despite my efforts to have an Eleventh Hour push on the Hind, there was just too much left to do. Still, I have enjoyed the GB and chatting to modeler's with similar interests. Thanks for stopping by and showing an interest in my build.

I did manage to have a bit of a bash with the airbrush, and although it still needs a bit of attention here and there, I'm fairly pleased with it, so far.....

20210627_200418

20210627_200244

20210627_200233

Although it won't make the GB Gallery, I'll pop a couple of pictures on here when it is finally done,

Thanks Guys :)

• Like 4