Phenomenal Phantom Phrustration - FG1 Stabilators

neilfergylee

While I am working to complete my Canberra (see https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235085105-wh660-in-148-scale-red-dean-canberra-that-nearly-was/), I am already thinking of my next build and a 1/48 UK Phantom would compliment my Buccaneer S.1 and, later on, Sea Vixen.

I have two 1/48 Phantoms in my stash: the special edition Hasegawa FG.1 from 1987 which I'm not quite ready to build just yet and the Revell FGR.2 version available today.  This is where my frustration lies: although most of the parts to build an FG.1 are present, the two vital parts that are missing are the slotted stabilators.

What are my options?  I can spend 1500 Yen on a pair of slotted stabilators from Hypersonic but they will have to come from Japan and I'd like to build this before next Christmas.  Buying an FG.1 kit off eBay is a ridiculous option but I guess the only other option is to try and convert the unslotted FGR.2 stabilators.

I cannot be the first person to face this dilemma and  would much appreciate any advice and assistance.

Thanks,

Neil

I am not sure there is an aftermarket option past the Hypersonic parts. Converting the unslotted kit parts to slotted would need some very precise work with microstrip or brass, but in theory you could follow prototype praactice and graft slots onto an unslotted stabilators 

Other than that, finding another FG.1 kit and building that intead and leaving the Revell verison as a Crab FGR.2. Can you rob a late model US Phantom kit that has the slotted stabs - not usre what permutations are avialable from Hasegawas back catalogue,  but USN F4-Js got slotted stabs from new (from *slightly dodgy* memory) , but slots fitted to B models were mid sixties retrofits and the -N was a rebuilds of the -B .  If there's a kit for a late model B or an N with a slotted stabilator that might be an option, since you can then use the unslotted version to build an early F4-B.  

It might pay to note that the Revell kit for FGR.2 has the wrong wheels for an RN or RAF Phantom and doesn't include the FG.1's extensible nose gear which is on the same sprue as the slotted stabilators. 

• Like 1

The nose leg isn't too much of a problem as externally it looked the same as the FGR 2 leg (when not fully extended obviously) with the addition of a second scissor link between the wheels. If you can make the scissor link then your covered. Does the Revell FGR2 have the cut outs for the catapult slings and the NLG front door with the 'traffic lights'?

Duncan B

11 minutes ago, Duncan B said:

"Does the Revell FGR2 have the cut outs for the catapult slings and the NLG front door with the 'traffic lights'?"

Duncan B

The Revell "British Legends" Boxing of the Hasegawa FGR-2 (04962) Does have these F-4K parts still on the sprues. 

• Like 1

Just now, Troffa said:

The Revell "British Legends" Boxing of the Hasegawa FGR-2 (04962) Does have these F-4K parts still on the sprues. 

That's really annoying that the stabs aren't there too in that case. Ho hum!

Duncan B

8 minutes ago, Duncan B said:

That's really annoying that the stabs aren't there too in that case. Ho hum!

Duncan B

Agreed- I've just dug my old FG1 kit out, Hasegawa P17 with the Tremblers cab on the front- The Dual extension nose leg and the slotted stabs are on a sub sprue "J" that is gated off Sprue "C"  with the SUU Gun and Recce pod.  A bit stingy!

• Like 1

@adrian, @Troffa and @Duncan B, thank you all for your rapid and informative replies.

Yes, here is the really frustrating thing: all the other bits (e.g. nose undercarriage leg, underwing slots, revised nosewheel door are all present but the slotted stabilators have been snipped off the sprue!

I don't for a minute this this is some kind of evil anti-FG.1 conspiracy by Revell, it'll just be part of the process but just to think of all those slotted tailplanes in their recycling bin!

I think I'm going to have a bash at converting the FGR.2 stabilators although I shall double-check my stash for any half-built old Esci jobs, just in case!

Thank you all again :)

Cheers,

Neil

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, neilfergylee said:

I don't for a minute this this is some kind of evil anti-FG.1 conspiracy by Revell, it'll just be part of the process but just to think of all those slotted tailplanes in their recycling bin!

It might be due to the licencing agreement between Revell and Hasegawa for the use of the moulds; the original Hasegawa kits had two different sprues depending on whether you bought an FG.1 or FGR.2 boxing.

Sprue 'J' had most of the FG.1 specific details including the extended and compressed versions of nose gear leg, scissor links , and slotted stabs. The nose gear door, standard nosegear leg and catapult hooks were on other sprues so you get those in both versions  The FGR.2 boxing has sprue K with the unslotted stabs but no sprue 'J'. This is just what Revell have done, at least in the one I have. 

Edited by Aidrian
  • Like 1

Get the Hypersonic parts. Jeffrey ships fast. You'll get them in under a couple of weeks unless there's a postal hiccup along the way. You can work on other sub assemblies while waiting. Failing that, I have a set of slatted stabs from my F-4B/N kit. I already have the Hypersonic non slatted set as I am wanting to build an early B. You are welcome to them for postage. I'm in the US.  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, neilfergylee said:

I don't for a minute this this is some kind of evil anti-FG.1 conspiracy by Revell, 

, especially since RoG just repackages the sprues as is upon receiving them from Hasegawa. 😎

Cheers,

Andre

• Like 1

IIRC the Esci parts are not the hottest on earth; probably the Italeri aren’t either, but I think that the E/F/G kit at least included both options, and quite decent at that. Usually no one wants them, so you may be able to get one cheap.

11 hours ago, tempestfan said:

IIRC the Esci parts are not the hottest on earth; probably the Italeri aren’t either, but I think that the E/F/G kit at least included both options, and quite decent at that. Usually no one wants them, so you may be able to get one cheap.

One thing to watch out for if going to use E/F/G stabs is that they quite often had triangular strengthening plates that the FG1's stab didn't. 

Duncan B

In a related matter I have just finished a build of an Academy 1/48 F-4B and I thought I might use the spare stabs not used in the build to fit to one of my unstarted Hasegawa F-4s. The Academy stabs are longer (by 3mm) and wider (by about 1.5mm) than the Hasegawa ones. Are there any dimensions available to check which ones are correct or am I up for some Hypersonic ones as well?

TRF

This may be of some use, it lists what sprues are in which Hasegawa boxes and what is on each sprue. For the slotted stabilisers it is sprue "O" that you want. I just checked my F-4J Show Time box to be sure and yes, "O" is correct.

http://modelingmadness.com/splfeat/kr/has48d.htm

There are other pages for other kits, just change the d after /has48 in the address for a,b,c,e or f for the full range. Hope that makes sense and maybe helps.

On 16/02/2021 at 09:19, Selwyn said:

You have well over 100 posts, have you tried posting in the wanted section for slotted stabs? somebody might have a spare set floating about.

Selwyn

Very good point sir!  I shall give it a try!

On 15/02/2021 at 15:32, jpk said:

Get the Hypersonic parts. Jeffrey ships fast. You'll get them in under a couple of weeks unless there's a postal hiccup along the way. You can work on other sub assemblies while waiting. Failing that, I have a set of slatted stabs from my F-4B/N kit. I already have the Hypersonic non slatted set as I am wanting to build an early B. You are welcome to them for postage. I'm in the US.  

Thank you for that - you are a scholar and a gentleman!  Can you confirm Jeffrey's website please?

Finally, thank yo to you all for your insight and support.  It's really appreciated!

Cheers, Neil

On 2/15/2021 at 11:50 AM, neilfergylee said:

While I am working to complete my Canberra (see https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235085105-wh660-in-148-scale-red-dean-canberra-that-nearly-was/), I am already thinking of my next build and a 1/48 UK Phantom would compliment my Buccaneer S.1 and, later on, Sea Vixen.

I have two 1/48 Phantoms in my stash: the special edition Hasegawa FG.1 from 1987 which I'm not quite ready to build just yet and the Revell FGR.2 version available today.  This is where my frustration lies: although most of the parts to build an FG.1 are present, the two vital parts that are missing are the slotted stabilators.

What are my options?  I can spend 1500 Yen on a pair of slotted stabilators from Hypersonic but they will have to come from Japan and I'd like to build this before next Christmas.  Buying an FG.1 kit off eBay is a ridiculous option but I guess the only other option is to try and convert the unslotted FGR.2 stabilators.

I cannot be the first person to face this dilemma and  would much appreciate any advice and assistance.

Thanks,

Neil

If they ship your items with Air Parcel or Air Mail, it takes around 20 days to reach your workbench, DHL is also faster but pricey, despite stupid restrictions I usually get all the stuff I order from Japanese stores to Italy in 15 days, the only times it takes a bit longer is because sunglasses and vanity items are more prone to be stopped for customs check

Luigi

• Thanks 1

On 2/17/2021 at 4:31 AM, neilfergylee said:

Very good point sir!  I shall give it a try!

Thank you for that - you are a scholar and a gentleman!  Can you confirm Jeffrey's website please?

Finally, thank yo to you all for your insight and support.  It's really appreciated!

Cheers, Neil

Just Google Hypersonic Models. com. I'm sure the link will show up. Slotted stabs @ 10.58 Pounds plus shipping. You'd do well to grab a few other things because of combined shipping. 

• Thanks 1

On 2/16/2021 at 8:03 PM, fastterry said:

The Academy stabs are longer (by 3mm) and wider (by about 1.5mm) than the Hasegawa ones. Are there any dimensions available to check which ones are correct...?

Here you go:

http://tailhooktopics.blogspot.com/2012/11/f-4-stabilator.html

(note the comment by a reader, too)

And more on Phantom stabs:

http://tailspintopics.blogspot.com/2011/09/f-4-flapstabilizer-change.html

(note that the link at end of first paragraph is the one I've given above.)

bob

• Like 1

I doubt it was anything personal.  In my case, the (apparent) fact that such a discrepancy on something as universal as a Phantom had slipped past our notice- garnished with my own relative ignorance of the type- got my curiosity going.  Tommy is one of those people that I think of as a reliable source, which includes the aspect that he'll either tell you if he doesn't actually know, or go find out and post what he finds.

bob

Edited by gingerbob
  • Like 1