Al Fresco - Angola, Guinea-Bissau, Malagasy Republic

Wez

For this GB I’m going to build three models, which given my success rate in the Heller GB may be a bit ambitious but, the three builds are going to be the same kit so hopefully, I can set up a production line effort.

I’ll be using the Airfix 1/72nd kit and decals from Berna giving me three different marking options, Angola, Guinea-Bissau and the Malagasy Republic (Madagascar).

I’m still waiting for one set of decals to arrive, I’ll post some pictures of those once I get them.

I’ve found a good picture of a Malagasy aircraft here, a so-so picture of a Guinea-Bissau aircraft here but I’m struggling to find a picture of an Angolan aircraft in the blue scheme so if anyone can point me in the right direction I’d be grateful.

Anyway, here are the kits...

Airfix MiG-17 Kits

...and some reference material...

Reference and some decals

I took copies of Ya Gabor's critique of the Airfix kit when he was on here, still undecided as to how far I want to go with that.  I've also ordered some Neomega ejection seats for these, more pictures when the goodies arrive!

• Like 10

6 hours ago, Col. said:

A triple build! Nice project Wez and a great selection of reference material to support you :speak_cool:

Thanks Col, yes, I'm quite fond of the day fighter versions of the MiG-17, quite a capable aircraft really.

5 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Which of the Malagasy machines are you going with, Wez? 

Number 242 Martin, the one with the red star under the windscreen.

5 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Three great choices Wez, good to see some lesser built countries in the GB.

I will be following this with great interest.

Yes, this GB is ideal for that although I did have to look up where Guinea-Bissau was I'm ashamed to say (speaking as someone who considers himself quite worldly and well travelled).

What do you call the "blue" scheme, Wez?

Just that mate, the Berna sheet has two Angolan MiG-17's, one in camouflage and the other in an overall Russian light blue (whatever that is).  Sounds similar to the scheme for the Mozambique Fresco A on the Malagasy sheet.  The overall blue scheme quite appeals to me.  The trouble is, I can't find a photo of one in that scheme, I can find a photo of a Cuban one in that scheme and the Angolan aircraft were supplied, maintained and operated by the Cubans.

The Berna decals suggest looking in African Migs vol 1 & 2, the problem is, I don't have these and they are eye wateringly expensive at a certain site that sells books...   ...and everything else for that matter!

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Wez said:

The Berna decals suggest looking in African Migs vol 1 & 2

Just been through mine Wez and the best there is is a very indistinct almost head on picture taken from the moon of one of the Migs in what appears to be a light blue colour, at least the fuel tanks do as they are the clearest bits in the picture. Save your money for more models!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, modelling minion said:

Just been through mine Wez and the best there is is a very indistinct almost head on picture taken from the moon of one of the Migs in what appears to be a light blue colour, at least the fuel tanks do as they are the clearest bits in the picture. Save your money for more models!

Thanks for looking.

I'll keep searching t'internet for pictures.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Wez said:

The Berna decals suggest looking in African Migs vol 1 & 2, the problem is, I don't have these and they are eye wateringly expensive at a certain site that sells books...   ...and everything else for that matter!

Let me take a look tomorrow  :) 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Wez said:

Thanks Col, yes, I'm quite fond of the day fighter versions of the MiG-17, quite a capable aircraft really.

Number 242 Martin, the one with the red star under the windscreen.

Yes, this GB is ideal for that although I did have to look up where Guinea-Bissau was I'm ashamed to say (speaking as someone who considers himself quite worldly and well travelled).

Just that mate, the Berna sheet has two Angolan MiG-17's, one in camouflage and the other in an overall Russian light blue (whatever that is).  Sounds similar to the scheme for the Mozambique Fresco A on the Malagasy sheet.  The overall blue scheme quite appeals to me.  The trouble is, I can't find a photo of one in that scheme, I can find a photo of a Cuban one in that scheme and the Angolan aircraft were supplied, maintained and operated by the Cubans.

They are good books, lots of detail of operations as well as profiles etc. 

You might be able to get good deal away from Amazon, I got my copies for £5 each direct from the publisher IIRC. The MiGs in Middle East series were in the same offer.

• Like 2

A thought just occurred to me Wez (quite rare these days), there are quite a few pictures available of the Mig-17 from Mozambique that the South Africans got their hands on and test flew and that one was most definitely painted in the blue/grey scheme, it would seem a fair assumption that it is the same colour used on the Mig-17's supplied to Angola.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Let me take a look tomorrow  :) 

Like others, I took a peek in the book today. I coldn't find any colour photo but there are a couple of video captures and a B&W (pages 19 and 20). I looked in the Hikoki "Soviet and Russian Aircraft in Africa" too, but nothing. The Harpia book does  have a profile in colour and the caption claims RLB overall. MM's @modelling minion suggestion above might be good :)

Martin

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, modelling minion said:

A thought just occurred to me Wez (quite rare these days), there are quite a few pictures available of the Mig-17 from Mozambique that the South Africans got their hands on and test flew and that one was most definitely painted in the blue/grey scheme, it would seem a fair assumption that it is the same colour used on the Mig-17's supplied to Angola.

That's what I was thinking too, it's too much of a coincidence for it not to be.

Like others, I took a peek in the book today. I coldn't find any colour photo but there are a couple of video captures and a B&W (pages 19 and 20). I looked in the Hikoki "Soviet and Russian Aircraft in Africa" too, but nothing. The Harpia book does  have a profile in colour and the caption claims RLB overall. MM's @modelling minion suggestion above might be good :)

Martin

Thanks for looking Martin

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wez said:

7 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Martin

Expand  

Thanks for looking Martin

I took another look and I’d say they are the same. If it were me I’d use Pale Blue Grey from Colourcoats. It was a blue grey shade between FS36329 and FS35550. 

Martin

• Like 2

Some more goodies to show you...

...first off the stickers, these are by Berna Decals, the Malagasy aircraft is on the LH sheet, the Angolan and Guinea-Bissau on the RH...

Berna Decals

...and I also got some resin replacement seats, these are by NeOmega which I got from NeOmega Resin (obviously), pretty prompt service too!  The difference between the kit and the resin seats is obvious, the kit seat seems to be a hybrid of the earlier KK-1 and the later KK-2 (KK-1 ½ perhaps)?  If you google Soviet KK-2 Ejection Seat, you get examples of the KK-1 and the KK-2 plus a version of the seat as depicted by Airfix  so it's not wrong, but obiously, it's not as detailed as the NeOmega ones.  I need to do some repair work on the KK-2s as the knee guards are broken on one side, no big deal.

MiG-17 Seats

MiG-17s were fitted with either KK-1s or KK-2s depending upon the time-frame it seems, fortunately the bigger head box of the KK-2 shows up well in photos and Angolan, Guinea-Bissau and Malagasy aircraft all had KK-2s.

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Neomega's stuff is pretty good isn't it, I have used their seats and cockpits quite a few times and always been impressed.

Yes, I like their stuff but the instruction sheets for their cockpit sets are a bit sparse.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Colin W said:

Im interested to hear what you think of the Berna decals. I bought a set for my 1/48 Dassault Mystere and they were quite out of register.

I've not seen that problem with any of the Berna decal sheets I've got.  I did have some problems with some of them breaking up during my recent Fennec build in the Heller Classic GB but I can't say whether that was down to my hamfistedness or not.  I'll be using some decal softener this time around (and have a practice with some unused decals on the sheet first).

• Thanks 1