We all Live In A "Grey" Submarine.. Dragon Pz.Kpfw.III (3.7cm) (T) AUSF.F "Operation SeeLowe"

diases

Hi Guys.

Been Lurching around while Building a MLRS in the Desert Storm GB. But I miss the banter of a Pure AFV Group Build.

So as the MLRS is going well, I thought I'd give this a go, I've had the kit since this Gb was proposed and been tempted to start many times.

So here goes.

e1GnhHJ.jpg

Box top and packaged content.

jDeIuuz.jpg

This is the box suggested colour scheme. Be the first time I've attempted the basic grey, but have quite a few different greys to choose from, so can hopefully make it a bit more interesting by varying the shades.

MiZNowQ.jpg

Started with the wheels. So Far so good, as I have seen lots of broken studs in other threads, all mine were good.

First bits of PE applied last night, and all wheels ready for assembly today. Going to paint the inner surface Pre assembly as the space between these is quite tight and want to get into all the faces.

Then it will be onto the hull/suspension.

So, a question.

The kit has rubber band tracks, but I believe that the PzIII / PzIV used the same track design. 

So if I'm correct, I have a few sets of plastic individual tracks available, so will swap to them  (Glutton for Punishment🤪)

Cheers for Looking

Paul

• Like 11

48 minutes ago, diases said:

First bits of PE applied last night, and all wheels ready for assembly today. Going to paint the inner surface Pre assembly as the space between these is quite tight and want to get into all the faces.

Is that that so the salt water doesn't corrode them if you do a sea test? :giggle: ( sorry, couldn't resist that one)  First time I have seen this kit, I had read about the idea but I bet there were a lot of relieved tank crews when Op Sealion was cancelled.  As for tracks, early Panzer III had 36cm wide tracks with the hollow track guide, Miniart make a set of these for early III & IV tanks, I've assembled 2 sets of them to replace the incorrect tracks in a couple of Tamiya kits but if you have some alternative tracks already, then you're good to go.  This will be an interesting build, welcome to the GB. :like:

Ha Ha, you Funny guy. But I have to agree that I wouldn't like to be in the Thing when it went Sub-sea.

As a job, I work on Remote operated Vehicles for the oil + gas industry, so this model was a must. 

I've checked my stash of tracks, and have a exact match for the supplied Dragon rubber bands. They don't have hollow track guides, But I'm pretty certain I'll be able to drill (bodge) them out.

So, the build starts properly today

L5M5z6n.jpg

Suspension and Hull sides built up, 

Transmission cover had 3 mounting lugs that were removed for correct Fit.

The tension adjuster on the rear, I left the circular cover off until the unit was in place, allows correct positioning.

Surprise, surprise. Dragon instructions that were correctly labelled.  Well, this is only the First 3 Steps, so still time to revert to normal.

Finally, Dry fitted Wheels as its a must.

2KtUbvX.jpg

So far, so good.

I will get a bit more completed on the Hull, then get the first colour on. 50 Shades of Grey springs to mind for some reason

Cheers for Looking

Paul

• Like 9

Hi Paul. Great to have you along for this GB and I'm really pleased to see one of these kits being built. It looks like a fascinating project ahead. You are already off to a good start.

Kind regards,

Stix

Todays Progress.

Rear plate is complete. Instructions a little vague when first constructing (angle of plates), but when offered up to hull makes more sense.

So the basic Hull is complete. Exhausts are separate ATM for slight filling and Paint.

RLK0jci.jpg

cGdyIJD.jpg

BUG9Pdm.jpg

Not the best photo's, as the overhead lights are shining through the suspension, and causing the lighter lines.

Painted up initial colour. Picked Vallejo Model Air 71.052 German Grey as a base coat. I think a lot of other greys are to Dark.

I'm planning on lightening up further with Game colour Wash 73.202 Pale Grey, and then picking out with other products.

As This tank is (Ahem..) washed regularly, Mud is not appropriate, and a more sandy material will be used.

Final Picture is as it Stands now,

Wheels need clean-up and Then will be Going On. Found a set of Magic tracks the right size, (instead of elastic bands), so will build those up while working on the Fenders and Upper Hull

Hpih0CY.jpg

Cheers For Looking

Paul

• Like 5

Hi Guys.

Plodding away today, wheels are all cleaned up, and started painting tyres.

Started the Engine cover. I like the internal frames provided, but remember to drill the holes before fitting, as 2 holes are covered by the frames. All the hatches are on, and I'll fit the hinges later today, along with the ancillary bits and pieces.

Ignore the glue marks, I was feeling clumsy 😗

h3kkizk.jpg

I was not happy with the previous Hull Pictures, and natural light has made a big difference.

YV874a9.jpg

PTxuSei.jpg

First picture is the Dark Grey with a Light grey wash applied

Second Picture is Dark Grey, Blue for Panzer Grey Wash, then the same Light Grey wash applied.

I'm not certain which is most accurate, and would Like Some opinion's before proceeding further, I have no real preference.

So which one do people like best?

Well, better get back to it, those wheels won't paint themselves.

Cheers

Paul

• Like 6

HI Paul. Looks like you are making good progress. Not sure about what is actually the most accurate colour in these circumstances but I like the look of the effect in the second photo.

I'm sure there will be someone along who is more knowledgeable than me before long.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Making great progress of a really interesting variant, can't say I've seen the kit before.

Think I'd probably agree with Stix, purely from an aesthetic point of view, I think the colour in photo 2 .

Atb

Darryl 

• Like 2

I've also been having grey thoughts. I've painted a Panzer II with Vallejo 71.056 Panzer Dark Grey, but I think that came out too dark (the clue is in the name I guess!). I think that I did it over NATO black which probably didn't help.

Of your two pictures, I agree that the slightly darker second one looks better, but for me (and this is just aesthetically, I'm still learning about colours) I'd go a bit darker, although I guess that pictures taken outside in sunlight will always look too light when I'm sat indoors peering at a computer screen.

I've got a bottle of MIG-0008 RAL 7021 Dunkelgrau as well, but if anything that looks even darker than the 71.056. I'm going to have to lighten up.

• Like 2

Hi Guys. Hope everyone's enjoying their builds, I know I am.

Thanks for the comments about colour, it seems to be quite a minefield.

I think that I'll go for the second picture option, as after a couple of days looking at it, I have seen a few colour photo's that seem to mimic this colour. And I also think I prefer it.

Well, been busy today.

First up were the wheels, and tyres are painted (always a chore, in my mind).

Will adjust the grey to match the rest, and add some light weathering.

GEhU0sZ.jpg

Exhaust's are filled, and will be sanded/painted tomorrow. First bit of filling that I have had to do, as there is a small gap were the 180 degree bend is. But it's minor really, and would probably be good under paint.

This version has a non return valve system for the submerged operation. so whats in the photo is all there is to it, no silencers, so would be a noisy beast.

YrrzjE9.jpg

All upper Hull units are complete

Rear has had its lifting hooks, and hatch hinges installed

q4J85XL.jpg

Center section, I did make a mistake with the positioning of the etch rain shield, which is slightly offset to the right, But to late to worry about it now.😗

Its made from central support then top, sides and front are glued onto it, Fit is excellent with all panels matching up well.

IZZucuH.jpg

Front section built up with no drama's, and fitted on to hull perfectly.

tlqBCKI.jpg

Quick test fit showed a small sand on the center/rear face will be required, nothing major, as they don't sit flat on the hull. Clamping while glue sets would probably be enough.

Fender has a small warp towards the front that will need sorting, but again nothing major.

Overall, a good fit.

rWAU7Ji.jpg

That's my progress so far, starting to look like a tank.

Next up is painting the hull my desired colour.

Then wheels and tracks can be sorted

Been thinking about displaying it, and how to sort a base out.

In the Early years of WW2, my Grandad was stationed at Great Yarmouth to protect against exactly the treat these posed.

I would like to have it emerging from the sea onto a beach.

If anyone knows a good article about water modelling, please feel free to share.

Cheers For Looking, and all comments very welcome.

Paul

• Like 6

Hi Paul. Looks like you've been busy and it looks to be going well. I like the idea you have for displaying it. Unfortunately I can't help with the water for modelling as I've never used any. Hopefully someone will be along soon to help with some advice!

Kind regards,

Stix

Really interesting build, be great to see it completed as its looking great so far!

Sorry I can't help with the water, I know there's videos on YouTube showing how it's done, they make it look straightforward...... 🤔

Great concept though. 👍

Hi Guys.

More Progress made over the last couple of days.  So far the build has basically been a Ausf.F. but with the Turret we can start to see differences.

UkqN1Gu.jpg

Gun Mantle is rubber with just the end of the barrel showing, There is nothing behind it, but the Kit Has all the parts to make a standard F, so if inclined a full Gun setup could be made and then the water proof cover could be scratched/adapted.

As you can see there are Clear panels that require painting up for vision ports, but seem to be made of steel on the real thing. Also provides water proofing for machine guns, etc.

LLHRQa0.jpg

Side view shows extended cupola with its water proof cover.

Biggest fault so far is cutting the vision ports in the cover. The holes are oval shaped (with clear inserts) and getting a smooth finish on the holes is taking some time. You could leave them, but as there are ports around the whole circumference, light would be seen through them.

Might even pop a commanders head in there.

Also, the base of the Turret has a extra band to seal the turret ring.

Lots more to do today, and thinking that I'll use the rubber band tracks.

The build is Pure OOB so far, and I think that it will show better what the kit offers as standard

Cheers

Paul 

• Like 7

Hi Guys. Thanks for the Likes, I hope your enjoying yourselves.

Many great builds going on, and progressing well.

Not a lot of progress yesterday, but a fair amount of thinking.

Base Colour has been splashed around, and the first wash.

Hopefully, can get the weathering sorted (nothing to heavy) on the sides, and be ready for wheels to go on.

Rubber band tracks are being deployed (OOB build), so might even have them sorted.

I'll try modelling a beach scene, with the tank entering the water, as it can be smaller with the vent float on the tank. Leaving the water would mean the float dragging behind and make a display quite large.

Will be a first attempt at water, so wish me luck.

Paul

• Like 2

Can't believe its a week since my last post. Time fly's when you have no idea of what day of the week it is.

A bit of progress, but not much in reality.

This is probably the first time I've used rubber band tracks since coming back to modelling, 

Yes they are super quick, but I'm learning that its better to paint after installation.

8b9CrrV.jpg

They were a nice uniform colour, until I stretched them for fitting. Guess I'll have a bit of Touch up to do now.

First Fender is on, not a bad fit, but the front section is slightly warped, so I'll sort that out before fitting the other side.

I had started to populate them, but the hose supports are fragile, and locating them before the hose is fitted could produce stress points. So I'll get the front section secured and get turret positioned correctly (complete with hose) before trying to populate them.

sXtAkMi.jpg

Turret itself, is basically made and base colour applied. There is a small amount of work required on the ventilation hose attachment, and the waterproof turret skirt still needs attaching and paint once fitted to hull

I can then give it some light weathering, and even everything out.

1oMPdZ4.jpg

Also made a start on the base, bit messy ATM, but hopefully after a few more colours get added will look a lot better.

I am trying to depict the tank trundling through the water, so there will be no beach, but hoping to model the wake and water movement, along with the disturbed sand colouring the water on one side to simulate a bit of tidal flow.

But this base may be changed to a longer version if I can find one, with the Hose / float streaming out the back.

So, as I said, a bit of progress, but starting to get there.

Cheers for looking, and comments more than welcome.

Paul 

• Like 5

Hi Paul. Good to see it's still moving along. Such an interesting set up on this vehicle and I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with the base. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Lo Guys.  Hope everybody is well, and keeping busy.

quick update.

Basic structure is complete, and first paint is applied.

Still working on the Float/hose/snorkel assembly, and then gotta look at the depth guides.

Few quick photos of what I have at the moment

TDWSXij.jpg

KDRCe9m.jpg

oOyrxRR.jpg

8UJ3O7A.jpg

4QqUqiK.jpg

The base has been worked on, but I'm thinking that the water level will be a bit low, so making a frame up to increase the water depth so that the tank appears to be deeper wading.

So still going slowly. Nervous about the water pour though, as the tank will be forever stuck in place

Wish me luck

Paul

• Like 5

Fascinating stuff!! And I can understand you being nervous. Can you do a practice pour first using something not so important?

Kind regards, 

Stix

Hi Stix 

I'm not worried about the pour really, resin is resin, and I've  used it for work before.

It's more the sealing and final finish I'll achieve.

I'll have the tank firmly fixed to the base, and going to find something to fill the hull with in case the resin starts filling the hull, as I may need to acquire more before I get to fender level.

I'll also build up the seabed around the tank to hide the rough square I have now.

One good thing is that I'm from norfolk, and see the seabed a lot while I'm working offshore, so have a good knowledge of how it should look and how the clouds of sand/mud reacts.

Just hope I have the ability to model it

Paul

• Like 2