*done* Part 1: USAAF B-25C-NA "19" 81st BS 12th BG

vppelt68

Can you think pink? I know this may not be the correct ANA 616 Desert Sand but... this is the colour my Mitchell will be :whistle:

2021-02-26_06-29-56

Not bad for the first build week.

Edit @ 21:00: The build day wasn't over, yet!

2021-02-26_09-08-03

Nacelles are just pushed on, I'll attach them only when the fuselage is first painted.

• Like 10

Looking good.

I have one of these I bought when it was first released and was playing with the idea of one in RAF service. I know Airfix have now released one of those too but I fancy one of the Dutch Squadron ones. Looks like it has gone together pretty well so far - I was a bit concerned that the various inserts I expect Airfix have used to allow different versions to be released might mess up the fit. I wonder it they can use it to make a replacement for their old late version with the turret moved forwards and the waist guns?

Pete

• Thanks 1

Maybe, but it needs a completely new fuselage. The tail section is taller to facilitate access to the tail gun position. This kit is just lovely - there will be more Airfix Mitchells on my desk after this! Just look at Extradecal sheet X72273 and count the various colourful options, most out of the box from this kit!

• Like 1

• vppelt68 changed the title to Part 1: USAAF B-25C-NA "19" 81st BS 12th BG
19 hours ago, vppelt68 said:

Just look at Extradecal sheet X72273 and count the various colourful options,

That wasn't helpful! 😁

• Haha 2

Another daily 🥱 build pic.  All the former US presidential face mask colour is now brushed on twice and it's time to let everything dry and set before moving forward. While I had time I did some exhaust staining on the nacelles too. Couldn't resist adding the top turret for the pic!

2021-03-01_06-42-14

The rest of the remaining details can also be seen around the airframe.

Ok, I couldn't resist dryfitting some components:

2021-03-01_06-52-55

Over and out, V-P

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Another daily boring :yawn: update. The prop decals and underwing stencils yet unapplied - nacelle stencils applied, though - and detail painting done except the de-icer boots. Nacelles and fins still just pushed in place, like upper turret too. Some landing gear parts must be attached only after the nacelles are on. Propeller warning stripe was painted, not a decal.

2021-03-02_11-44-28

I just had to strip her of paint masks this early!

2021-03-02_11-45-15

Painted the nav and formation lights too. Oops - Bomb bay doors still need a wash! V-P

• Like 10

Good progress, i am not so far with my B-25 yet.

It is very interesting to see your approch to how you are building this kit, you are prepainting alot bofore glueing together, I am glueing alot more together before painting.

Well thats is an interesting part of modelling, and i say always do what you find suits you best.

Cheers

Jes

1 hour ago, Touvdal said:

you are prepainting alot bofore glueing together, I am glueing alot more together before painting.

I'm always intrigued to see how others approach it, sometime I see pics of stuff glued together "ready for painting" and I think how are they going to paint that, with all the nooks and crannies and differnet colours and stuff? Apart from main assembly like fuselages, wings and tail I tend to paint first and glue on after.

This Mitchell is coming along at a cracking pace!

3 minutes ago, TonyOD said:

Apart from main assembly like fuselages, wings and tail I tend to paint first and glue on after.

Me too, Tony. I’m always concerned that I will break something if I fully assemble before painting ;)

Martin

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

I’m always concerned that I will break something if I fully assemble before painting ;)

Yes, that, also masking is less of an issue. Lately I've learned the value of masking even very small gluing surfaces with a dab of Maskol, paint-on-paint can be problematic.

Sorry, @vppelt68, hijacking your thread here!

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, TonyOD said:

Sorry, @vppelt68, hijacking your thread here!

Never mind, it's a pleasure actually to raise conversation about building methods. My way of building varies a lot depending on the shape of the kit and the character of its paint scheme, but I've read earlier comments too about them being occasionally unorthodox :whistle:. Multiengined aircraft like medium bombers often have nacelles, that make it difficult to reach the fuselage, after they are attached to the wings. Also, the whole nacelle incl. engine, prop and landing gear can be easier to finish separately and then just plug in in the end and then just fix a few small seams - checking out the fit beforehand, of course! One thing I like to do is paint the upper and lower wing surfaces separately, if the leading edge needs a sharp edge between these colours. Anyone should build all their builds like they like best. I hate cementing paint on paint, that's the main reason why I assemble what I regard feasible before painting. V-P

• Like 1

One of the things I have read in builds of the more recent Airfix kits is that whilst the fit is generally very good, it is sometimes "tight" to the extent that you may have to remove some of the paint on sub assemblies to get them lined up - I guess it is a case of being selective in how much you paint them?

Pete

Edited by PeterB

Yes, I tried to keep for example the interior bulkheads clean on the surface that faces the fuselage halves. Just a swipe with a cotton bud is what it takes. I had no problems with this at all. 

• Like 1

A lot of the pics I have seen of Mitchells in the MTO do not seem to show distinct boots on the leading edges - either they were removed or perhaps painted over in camo colours it would seem - D&S say that the anti icing equipment introduced in the B-25C was often removed in climates where icing was not considered a problem. The B-26 in the MTO also look like they often had no boot on the wing. After all they usually flew at low to medium altitude.

Pete

Edited by PeterB

Fine, it's your kit! I wondered if Airfix. having modelled it as during its tour of the US, had shown black boots that were perhaps not present when active in the MTO, but some clearly did carry them.

Pete

29 minutes ago, PeterB said:

Fine, it's your kit! I wondered if Airfix. having modelled it as during its tour of the US, had shown black boots that were perhaps not present when active in the MTO, but some clearly did carry them.

Pete

2021-03-04_07-40-00

That's her war bond tour- look. No de-icers and updated exhausts/cowlings too. Airfix grabbed this quite good, actually, except some decal colour mix-ups.

• Like 1