Africa GB Gallery

Enzo the Magnificent

The poll will appear here when the GB has finished  

1. 1. Q1

• A1
    • A2

• 3 weeks later...

North American B-25C-NA Mitchell s/n 41-12860

• Combat number "19" of 81st Bomb Squadron, 12th Bomb Group "The Earthquakers", 57th Bomb Wing, 9th Air Force
  • Predecing November 1942 part of US Army Middle East Air Force (USAMEAF)
  • Later to be named "Desert Warrior", decorated and participating in a War Bond tour in the US
  • I call her the "Desert Tailsitter" - ignored all the instructions to add weight in her nose...
  • Build depicts her early in-combat appearance late 1942 in Egypt and Libya, e.g. engine cowlings and exhausts are of the original type (well done Airfix to include them in the kit)
  • Links to marvelous period colour USAAF film material of the 12th BG can be found in this GB's Reference thread
  • Excellent Airfix kit A06015 that I can´t recommend enough, get your self at least one and build it!
  • Build thread here
  • No aftermarket plastic parts used/needed, Eduard mask set CX507 of course and decals needed some help in backdating the appearance from the War Bond tour to North Africa 
    • Under wing insignia came from MPM A-20B, four identical fin flashes from Blackbird Models Operation Torch Pt.1
  • All brush painted using mostly Humbrol and some Revell enamel paints (upper surface colour Humbrol #61 Flesh)

*better pics to be added/edited when they are taken* but it's now finished :yahoo:. V-P

2021-03-09_08-47-33

2021-03-05_12-11-04

2021-03-09_08-50-51

• Like 31

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Chaps, For your viewing pleasure I am please to present my Aeromaster 1/48 Mig 17 Fresco F. 'Somewhere near Cairo West AFB" 1984. The scheme is defined as a 'Home brewed camouflage of 2 shades of Green over a sand base with a blue underside'. No FS number here...

The kit is a rebox of the SMER offering from many years ago along with lots of lovely resin for the cockpit, flying surfaces and wheels. A nice vacform canopy and a fine set of Aeromaster decals completes the offering.

My undercarriage legs were short shot so had to be fixed with brass rod but came out OK. There is quite a lot of lead in this to hold the nose down so probably no bad thing really.

Base coat of sand is Mr Colour 318 'Radome Tan', overlayed with Pale Green defined as "no reference available", I took as a dead ringer for Mr Colour 127 'cockpit Nakajima' and Black Green became Mr Colour 18 'RLM Black Green'. The Blue is a home brew mix of 323 and white.

IMG_6854

IMG_6856

IMG_6827

IMG_6874

IMG_6871

Overall quite a poor kit really and one which benefits from the resin and some good decals. I bought this about 20 years ago so hard to think a better kit is not around for one of the world's most produced jets

Build article is Here

Thanks to @Col. for organising another very interesting Group Build.

Thanks to @RidgeRunner, @Wez and @Foxbat for the info regarding the strange 'windows'.

Colin

• Like 28

South African Air Force, Junkers Ju-52

1/200 Zvezda kit, with homemade decals.

The build thread is here.

During WWII, the SAAF operated a fleet of Ju-52s to ferry troops and equipment between South Africa and the North African battlefields.

Initially, they used Ju-52s commandeered from South African Airways, but later these were supplemented by captured aircraft.

P1120119.JPG

P1120121.JPG

For scale, here it is alongside a 1/72 Ju-52:

P1120122.JPG

Cheers

• Like 22

Ethiopia, some time in the mid-1980s. MiG-21s were used for fighter-bomber operations, while a small fleet of MiG-23 ML jets was acquired for the interceptor role - their fate is unknown.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

The Fishbed is the lovely Eduard kit, OOB with emblems from JBr Decals.

The Flogger is a whole different story with aftermarket interior, scratch build wheel doors, substantially altered gear and forward fuselage (stolen from another kit entirely). Decals are from a Berna set.

Read more, including the ungodly image of how the OOB kit should look in the build thread.

Edited by Tim R-T-C
  • Like 19

Hi,

This started out as an old KP Mig 17PF, but as nobody in Africa seems to have used that radar equiped version in any numbers, I "backdated" it to a standard F model by getting rid of the radar from the nose, and adding the gun camera on top, I then discovered that not only were the wings the wrong shape but that the horizontal tail was far too big, but Martin @RidgeRunner came to my rescue with spare wings and tail from an aborted Airfix Mig 17F, together with the undercarriage and 37mm cannon. I fettled those so that they fit and added Master cannon barrels and an Aeroclub Vac canopy and here it is.

DSC04868-crop DSC04870-crop DSC04872-crop

Probably not very accurate but it does not look too bad to me. I have painted it in my take of the "Nile Delta" paint scheme with markings from Xtradecal who say this is a Fresco C of the Egyptian Air Force in 1973.

Cheers

Pete

• Like 21

Sud Aviation Alouette III, the personal helicopter of corrupt despot and noted sartorial icon Mobutu General Sese Seko, 1967.

Heller 1/72 kit with Brengun etch and a bit of scratch work here and there. Not the easiest of kits to work with simply becasue it's so small and I'm chronically clumsy. The fit isn't great and is downright rotten around the front transparency. As always close-up photography is brutal but it passes the three foot test and i'm quite pleased with the result, although it was a lot of hours for a tiny outcome.

I'm indebted to Martin @RidgeRunner who supplied the Berna decals (twice as it turned out 😉) and Mr. Pierre Gillard who runs the outstanding www.alouettelama.com website, surely the definitive online resource for information about this versatile little chopper! He kindly allowed me to reproduce pictures from his website in my build thread, here:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Mobutu had a very fancy red leather interior (he was all about understatement) which I had a go at reproducing, it's about a third kit, a third etch and a third scratch. I suspected it would be invisible (and i was right) so I took a pic along the way.

spacer.png

A (whirly)bird in the hand...

spacer.png

Some pics of the real thing are here:

https://pierregillard.zenfolio.com/drcaf 

Thanks to everyone who's offered encouragement, when I was suffering the eternal torment of etch hell it was much appreciated. Now I'll sit back and enjoy everyone else's builds. 😁

Edited by TonyOD
  • Like 24

Fiat CR 20 bis AQ, 111 Sq. Regia Aeronautica in Asmara airfield, airplane of the commandor of squadron, during  the Italy war against Abyssinia 1935. Kit by Kora, 1/72 (OOB)

51114964293_9e0c1ccb63_b.jpg

51115848040_279ce44163_b.jpg

51114492207_8263a89fd3_b.jpg

51114964518_a0288001c5_b.jpg

Cheers

J-W

• Like 23

• 2 weeks later...

Martin Marauder Mk.III, 30 Sqn, SAAF, Italy 1944.

Airfix kit OOB apart from guns raided from the spares box, some scratch-building in the turret and marking by Xtradecal.

Vallejo ModelAir paint airbrushed throughout with 'Klear' Gloss brushed on and Vallejo Matt airbrushed on.

DSC_0013 DSC_0012 DSC_0007 DSC_0006 DSC_0002

• Like 19

Hi. :D
This is my rendition of Algeria's MiG-17 #257 D from the Six Days War in 1967.

I've used the Hobbyboss 1/48 kit with PrintScale decals. 
It's brush painted with AKAN acrylics.

51134496924_569ab2034f_h.jpg143 by Bosse Persson, on Flickr
51134497094_a3e89fbdab_h.jpg144 by Bosse Persson, on Flickr
51134497394_3f08bc5e42_h.jpg145 by Bosse Persson, on Flickr
51134836560_8e0f502483_h.jpg146 by Bosse Persson, on Flickr
51133717841_1ef013161b_h.jpg147 by Bosse Persson, on Flickr

Build thread here:

Thanks to the mods for an interesting group build, and I see you soon again. 
/Bosse

• Like 21

Martlet Mk.III, 805 Squadron, Mersa Matruh Egypt 1941, Im calling this one done. This is the old 1/72 Hasegawa F4F-4 Wildcat modified to represent a Martlet III. 7Ksm8Cs.jpg

2vURsxF.jpg

NdiplEH.jpg

6ssyYPM.jpg

H2287Tb.jpg

Doh ! I forgot to pull the tape off the lower windows. Please feel free to ask questions, comment in the build thread. 

Dennis

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235089919-martlet-iii-egypt-august-1941/

• Like 18

Spitfire Vc DB-R of 2 Sqn SAAF. 

Operating over Italy in Autumn 1943.  The aircraft had been converted to 4x 20m cannon fit and in this instance was carrying a centre line 250lb bomb.

The Kit was the new 1/72 Airfix Spitfire Vc with some additions from the spares box and the markings from the markings box!

JK815 a

Spitfire top

underneath

spitfire rear

And the original:

Spitfire_Mk_VC_DB-R_of_No_2_Squadron_SAAF_Italy

• Like 14

SAIA SF-260W, Tunisian Airforce.

Kit by KP with help from Beeline Red Devil filler. Paint by Vallejo and Akan. Hamfisted strops by me 😕 Build thread here: Build thread

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Andy

Edited by Foxbat
  • Like 15

Port Lyautey Morocco Azur 1/72 Potez 452 

This kit used to belong to a fellow kit Modeller called Donald John MacKay, who lived locally in Oban and was a good mate of @Scimitar Donald passed away recently leaving his family with an extensive stash of both books and models from a lifetime of collecting and @Scimitar real name Richard was a great help to the family in enabling them to get proper value for the items.

This kit and others Donald never finished were rescued from the rubbish bin as the family were clearing the house. I asked Col @Col. for special permission to join this GB with this kit to finish it as a tribute to Donald. He was kind enough to allow the kit to join the GB, for which I am especially grateful. I know I have too many builds on the go at the moment but this ones personal. 

There were bits missing, which I must have missed when removing the kits from the bin !

Here it is finished, I hope you like it and I've done Donald and Morocco proud.

cheers Pat

IMG_5803

IMG_5804

IMG_5805

IMG_5807

IMG_5809

• Like 18