On "Berwick Blue"--from Alan Raven

michaele

All:

Alan Raven recently sent me a letter with information about a one-off camouflage color used on HMS Berwick during WWII which he asked me to post online, for those who might be interested in these matters.

The letter was dated December 10, 2020, and here is what he wrote:

"Find attached a sample of 'Berwick' blue.

This was a 100% pure ultramarine blue!

The sample is as near as I can get....

Two tones of the blue were applied [to HMS Berwick] after she arrived at Scapa for working up in September 1942... these were:

--Berwick blue at 20% reflection factor.
--Berwick blue at 40% reflection factor.
--Plus very light grey i.e. MS4A.

You will have to decide how the two shades of Berwick Blue were applied from photos....

She came out of Devonport yard in August 1942 in MS4 and MS4A, similar to HMS Kenya.

The pattern applied in August 1942 was retained when the Berwick Blue was painted on in September 1942."

Alan claims that he obtained this information from "an official file."

Alan provided a commercial house paint swatch produced by Benjamin Moore called "Big Country Blue" which matched a color swatch from an "official file" that Alan has. Here is a link to the color on the Benjamin Moore website:

https://store.benjaminmoore.com/storefront/us/en/shop-by-color/color/big-country-blue/2066-30

The above information is also derived from the aforementioned "official file," on which I have no futher information.

I hope this is of interest to those who are researching RN colors from WWII.

Best,

Mike E.

Hi Mike,

I assume that the 100% pure Ultramarine part is not in fact true, because 100% Ultramarine constituted in a binder gives an intense, brilliant blue of around 7% Light Reflectance Value. There are no different tones available unless it's actually Ultramarine mixed with white which I assume is what Alan meant?

As for MS4A, that's very light. For comparison, BS381C-172 Pale Roundel Blue is tantalisingly close to a mix like we're talking about here and has a Light Reflectance Value of 44% (approx 507C equivalent in tone), so equivalent tone to MS4A will be a visual step whiter and more baby-bluish again.

Did Alan say where he got this information at all?

Jamie:

Thanks for your response. I am simply passing on what Alan told me, and am not qualified to judge the accuracy of the information myself.

Alan, for whatever reason, was reluctant to identify the source of the information, other than saying it was from "an official file." I hope he will provide the information--sooner rather than later--so that those (such as yourself) who are qualified to puzzle over this, can do more research on the topic.

Once again, thanks for all you and your colleagues have done to enrich our hobby!!!

Best,

Mike E.

• Like 1