Desert Snake - JU-87R-2 Stuka - Finally finished - March 17

One of the 3 Covid builds I have on the go is a 1/48 (Hasegawa) JU-87R-2 Stuka - yes, the famous (or infamous) Desert Snake flown by Hubert Poltz.

Being a Hasegawa kit, just a little dressing up of the cockpit was needed. A little scratchbuilding, and a pair of Ultracast seats, and exhaust stacks.

7SwLEDH

Image1 Image3 Image5

I also had to make out of scrap brass the 2 small armor plates for the rear gunner canopy ...

armor 1

armor 2

The build continued using the spare long range tanks included in the Airfix JU-87B-1 (not used on the B-1) The fit was exceptional - as is usually the case with Hasegawa - note almost NO FILLER!

Image11

Now the painting begins!  I have to start with a full standard scheme, before adding the soft edged 'Desert yellow'

(Please note the stippled spinner)

paint 2

paint 4

paint 3

I forgot to mention replacing the simplified hinge wedges with brass wire ...

paint 5

Now I'm waiting for the paint to harden before I start the 'Desert yellow'

Hope you like so far,

Colin

Edited by Tail-Dragon
  • Like 9

I've painted the desert scheme using all available photo's to get the scheme as accurate as possible (there are a very limited number of photo's, so lots of the scheme is speculative).  I've tried to match the Italian desert yellow used on the snake head decal with a custom Tamiya mix, we'll see how it works.

7SwLEDH

paint 8 poltz paint 10

hope you like so far,

Colin

• Like 12

• Tail-Dragon changed the title to Desert Snake - JU-87R-2 Stuka new - photo's Feb 17

Some more paint corrections (oh, why can't I do right the first time?)

The interior armor is installed in the gunners position and the oil pin wash is done, now to wait for it to harden.

paint 11

paint 12

paint 13

• Like 12

• Tail-Dragon changed the title to Desert Snake - JU-87R-2 Stuka new - updated photo's Feb 21
1 hour ago, stevej60 said:

Beautiful work so fat TD,I've this scheme to reproduce in 1/32 scale soon so very interested in seeing your progress.

Lots of the pattern is conjecture, there's only (I believe) 4 photo's of the aircraft, and none show the R/H side, or much of the top surface of the wings. The in-flight photo shows the leading edges of the wings and the stab, and I had to extrapolate from photo's of other Stuka's (which, of course, are all different) what the painters approach might have been.

The decal manufactures were in the same boat - The Airfix scheme is different from Revell Germany, and they are different from the Three Guys decals, and the EagleCals. and none of those match the photo's !

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tail-Dragon said:

Lots of the pattern is conjecture, there's only (I believe) 4 photo's of the aircraft, and none show the R/H side, or much of the top surface of the wings. The in-flight photo shows the leading edges of the wings and the stab, and I had to extrapolate from photo's of other Stuka's (which, of course, are all different) what the painters approach might have been.

The decal manufactures were in the same boat - The Airfix scheme is different from Revell Germany, and they are different from the Three Guys decals, and the EagleCals. and none of those match the photo's !

I like you conjecture, I feel you got it right based on educated decisions. I like your supporting images.  That in-flight photo reveals a lot.

Great build, I may need to use your thread as a reference for my build.

Lovely build - really like your attention to detail and the paint job looks very good. I always remember the Revel 1/32nd kit with these markings with the snake in red. I have the markings for the Airfix 1/24th Stuka and one of these days I might just replicate it - with the snake in red.

• 2 weeks later...

The decals are going on, I'm using an older sheet by Three Guys decals. I'm finding them slightly oversized, and quite translucent - to the point I will have to mask and re-spray the "D" (made from the incorrect "C" and part from another scheme).

decals 1 7SwLEDH

decals 2 xagQEkU

decals 3 poltz

It may not be completely accurate, but it's the best I can do without painting all the markings myself.  

Edited by Tail-Dragon
  • Like 13

• Tail-Dragon changed the title to Desert Snake - JU-87R-2 Stuka new - More progress - March 07
1 minute ago, Adam Poultney said:

masking over other decals.... last time I tried that I ripped half of them off

I stuck each piece on the back of my hand several times to reduce the adhesive - I was sweating when I pulled the tape off, however!

Really like your work on this one, I built the 32nd scale Trumpeter R-2 a few years back and had a blast with it, one of my favourite Stuka schemes going. 

spacer.png

Watching your progress with interest.

Regards. Andy 

• Like 3

The flat coat is on, and the canopy masks removed. Just a bit of weathering with pastels, and installing the rear gun and antenna to go. It's coming together!

paint 14

paint 16 paint 15

paint 17

paint 18

Hope you like so far, thanks for looking.

Colin

• Like 8

• Tail-Dragon changed the title to Desert Snake - JU-87R-2 Stuka - getting close to the end - March 12

That is one excellent build, and I am impressed by the research you put into determining as best as possible what the complete camouflage pattern and markings looked like, given the few references available. Looks so  much more purposeful with the external tanks, and the scratchbuilt armor for the gunner was a nice touch! Well done! 👍

Mike

Just about finished now, weathering done, and must of the small parts installed. Finish line is in sight!

Image1

Image3

Image4

Image5

Image6

Image8

Image11

Image12

Of course, I didn't notice until half way through that the bomb had come adrift!  I just have the nav lights and attach the canopies left.

Hope you like ...

Colin

• Like 2

• Tail-Dragon changed the title to Desert Snake - JU-87R-2 Stuka - Just about done now - March 16

Well, I'm calling this one done,  Hope you like, I'm quite happy with how it turned out.

Image22

Image2b

Posted on "Ready for Inspection"

Thanks for looking and the encouragement, comments always welcome,

Colin

Edited by Tail-Dragon
more details
  • Like 5

• Tail-Dragon changed the title to Desert Snake - JU-87R-2 Stuka - Finally finished - March 17