Supermarine Stranraer K7297 209 Sqn - RIP Ian Kennedy

On 1/6/2022 at 8:44 PM, Marc the Builder said:

Will certainly try something like this in the future on the walrus. Thanks for the inspiration! 🤩

Thanks Marc. I made the Walrus a couple of years ago but wasn't brave enough to attempt rigging it then.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Quiet Mike said:

Thanks Marc. I made the Walrus a couple of years ago but wasn't brave enough to attempt rigging it then.

Well at least you build it. So far I have steered clear of everything that has any rigging although I have some in the stash. I just need to get started on one and see where it ends up (shelf of joy or doom 😁)

It was annoying me that the crew had no way of getting into the hull, so over the last couple of evenings I knocked up a simple ladder out of plasticard, and painted it the same blue as the beaching gear. It's had a coat of varnish and a couple of vague transfers from the stash. I may add some dry brushed highlights and a dirt wash later ...

51822338339_32de5fb6ee_c.jpg

Entrance ladder for the Stranraer by Mike, on Flickr

• Like 10

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/14/2021 at 6:09 PM, Quiet Mike said:

And while I struggle to get motivated to go out on decent bike rides, finding excuses about the weather being to wet, dark, windy or cold far too easily, I've discovered my old Commando comics from the early 80s and I'm really enjoying flicking through them again. I can remember the first one I bought aged 9 1/2, Sky of Flame, and how the artwork really inspired me. (18p, in Bishops Waltham newsagents. The fact I can remember all this stuff probably goes some way to explaining why I was a weird kid at school 🙄 )  I really looked forward to his stories coming out. I've since discovered the  artist was Jose Maria Jorge, who had a 42 year long career with Commando, starting in '69, and he penned 163 titles. The last just a month before he died in Oct 2010. I think his main interest was aviation as well, heady stuff for a warbird obsessed nipper. (Cover by Ian Kennedy)

spacer.png

I was very lucky my doting granddad Charlie used to buy me all four, and bring them over when he and nan visited us once a fortnight. I hoovered up any old collections I saw for sale at village fetes and jumbles too. I ended up with hundreds, which the collector side of me carefully archived, in date order. That may be why they survived after I moved out! My comic obsessed youngest is now the custodian of them.

To try and bring this tangent back on track, there are a few flying boat stories that Jose illustrated, but with the Catalina or Walrus. I don't think any Stranraer got in print unfortunately, but I'd love to be proved wrong! Probably not the best form of reference for a build, but scores very high for inspiration.

http://www.britishcomics.20m.com/jorge.htm

https://bearalley.blogspot.com/2010/10/jose-maria-jorge-1941-2010.html

RIP Ian Kennedy

https://downthetubes.net/tributes-pour-in-for-legendary-comic-artist-ian-kennedy/?fbclid=IwAR1hkh_t9wC8Ac8tTC9_YkGPKDandJlTabHswbb-2LtHvBLaCTTghfnujxk

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• Quiet Mike changed the title to Supermarine Stranraer K7297 209 Sqn - RIP Ian Kennedy

A super result on the Stranraer, it gives me some hope for my one come the day. Thanks to for the link to the Ian Kennedy tribute, nice to read about the man whose covers I enjoyed a fair few of over the years, albeit without realizing whose work I was looking at. 

Steve 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/9/2021 at 12:37 PM, Quiet Mike said:

The two biggest distractions from the bench have been the new tortoise hutch, 'Tort Towers', and an order for the old French army ration bags I decided to make copies off during lockdown.

Tort Towers is now working well. He has a greenhouse tube heater attached to a digital thermostat to keep the temps from falling below about 14˚ in his hutch, and on another timer circuit he has his UV lamp and next to it a basking lamp. These are set to come on during daylight, but I need to remember to cut it back a little every day, to get him ready for his hibernation. I've already cut out his food so he can go into his deep sleep with an empty stomach.

Made with no plans, I had a rough idea in my head, and the general dims were dictated by what scraps of wood I had to hand. A local shed making company came good and were a great source of offcuts. It's taken all of my weekends up recently.

51665530267_e107bf2ef1_z.jpg

IMG_9065 by Mike, on Flickr

51667215560_6e3aa3eff7_z.jpg

IMG_9043 by Mike, on Flickr

I'm not a tortoise expert. We just ended up rehoming a friends one. I'm not even sure I'd recommend them as a pet! Ours is a grumpy little sod who does a good impression of always wanting to be somewhere else. Or he will try to bite through your shoe. Give him a friendly pat and he'll try to bite your finger off. He's not strong enough to draw blood, but it definitely hurts.

He has risen!

51909334731_d14901379b_z.jpg

He has risen! by Mike, on Flickr

• Like 2