Revell Me 262 paint colours, help.

Doggy

Apologies for another paint question.

I'm doing this kit and the instructions are lacking some detail.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/revell-03711-combat-set-me262-and-p-51b--1260336

My first issue is the RLM designation for the top side.

I worked out RLM 76 is the underside, the wheel bays are bare metal and the front wheel bay is RLM02.

It's the top side I am unsure off. For some reason Revell haven't stated an RLM number, only a paint mix ratio.

Also the camo pattern in the instructions is solid on the top of the wings but the box art is a splintered pattern?

I'm trying really hard with this kit, I've even used filler and the wheels will be down so it will be easy to inspect it and spot all my flaws.

Thanks in advance.

As above, it looks like it might just be a fairly 'standard' 81/82 over 76 scheme with mottling over the sides.  Unless you are building a specific aircraft, then there should be enough general references around for the overall appearance to get you started.  The box art appears to show a W.Nr on the 262, so if there is one in the kit then a bit of research on that might throw up some more colour/camo pointers.

11 hours ago, Doggy said:

On the kit instructions it's telling me to paint the top side revell 45, light olive. When I cross reference that it's close to RLM02.

I'm trying to think if I've ever painted a top side rlm02?

You cannot have build an Me Bf109E-3 or 4 in Battle of Britain colours.

RLM02 was widely used then as one of the topside camouflage colours.

FFH

• Like 1

Revell are notorious for poor paint instructions!

Despite their comprehensive lists of colours to use, they only tell you what Revell colours to mix, they don't tell you what the colour is that you are "aiming for" with a mix, e.g. "RAF Interior Green",

"Extra Dark Sea Grey", "International Orange", no just 80% XXZ/10% YZX/10%ABC.

Sometimes in the actual painting pattern diagram, the colour guide there will show RLM or RAL or FS numbers which is helpful but often they don't.

Anyone would think that they really really didn't want you sullying their kits with other people's paint!

As Fat FlyHalf says above, RLM02 was used as part of the Luftwaffe's fighter camo pattern early on in the war. (Not on bombers, though, they used RLM 70/71 at that time)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Doggy said:

On the kit instructions it's telling me to paint the top side revell 45, light olive. When I cross reference that it's close to RLM02.

I'm trying to think if I've ever painted a top side rlm02?

RLM02 was used as a top side camo colour (02/71) earlier in the war, but I'm not familiar with any 02 scheme on the 262.  More likely to be 81/82 as mentioned before.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Doggy said:

What I couldn't understand was the paint mixes. 

That's easy -Revell do not have a out-of-the-pot RLM81 or 82 in their own range.  Just like Italeri tells you to paint the bottom of your late Luftwaffe fights FS36375 Light Ghost Gray.  ;) 

Always be wary of a brand with their own paint range to push...

Cheers,

Andre 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Fifer54 said:

Revell are notorious for poor paint instructions!

Despite their comprehensive lists of colours to use, they only tell you what Revell colours to mix, they don't tell you what the colour is that you are "aiming for" with a mix, e.g. "RAF Interior Green",

"Extra Dark Sea Grey", "International Orange", no just 80% XXZ/10% YZX/10%ABC.

Sometimes in the actual painting pattern diagram, the colour guide there will show RLM or RAL or FS numbers which is helpful but often they don't.

Anyone would think that they really really didn't want you sullying their kits with other people's paint!

As Fat FlyHalf says above, RLM02 was used as part of the Luftwaffe's fighter camo pattern early on in the war. (Not on bombers, though, they used RLM 70/71 at that time)

On the scalemates page they mention RAL 6013 and RAL 7003. Both are close to RLM02 I think. On one of my apps both RAL colours cross to RLM02. Nightmare stuff.

It'll be RLM 81 / 82 on top. That's what the box art is trying to show also. I have a range with almost 450 colours and am often unable to find matches. Revell's whole range has, I think, 88 colours so if you're Revell trying to push Revell paints your options are usually going to be "wrong" or "mix 2 or more together in some ratio".

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Werdna said:

There's a thread here which covers W.Nr 110836 - which I believe is the subject of the kit in question...

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235039643-looking-for-referencesphotographs-of-a-certain-me-262-of-kg-51-9klk/

I'm getting a bit fed up painting the same colours all the time, i was kind off hoping the paint and camo would be a little bit different from the norm, a little bit more exotic.

1 minute ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

It'll be RLM 81 / 82 on top. That's what the box art is trying to show also.

Thanks Jamie. the galling thing is the paint instructions are showing only one colour on top, with some mottled green on the sides. 

I'm wondering if Revell invented that camo to keep it simple, it is only a skill level 3.

16 minutes ago, Doggy said:

I'm getting a bit fed up painting the same colours all the time, i was kind off hoping the paint and camo would be a little bit different from the norm, a little bit more exotic.

You can stilll go for the 7-11 solution of this situation http://falkeeins.blogspot.com/2017/11/messerschmitt-me-262-1-wnr-111711-at.html

(or do a yellow 14 of JG 27 in 78/79 or a "Marine" version with RAL 7012 topsides and white (or duck egg blue) belly) 😇

When sticking to "regular" late ware Luftwaffe fighter planes, 76/81/82 will be the "regular" choice.

2 hours ago, Doggy said:

There are "exotic" schemes out there for many aircraft. Research on t'interweb or in books should let you find them, then you need to find some decals  (or learn how to print your own!)

But remember not to trust a profile, ideally you need a photograph as well.

• Like 1