Pacific Coast Models Hawker Hurricane Mk. I fabric wing

spitfire

Time for the serials, these generally worry me as they are so small but they do tend to come out nicely, they just need a bit more care.

I tend to cut the mask down to a size that I can fit to the model easily and have enough room to line it up with pieces of tape to guide me where to place it, below is the cut down mask, note the arrow to avoid embarrasing mistakes.

The photo for some reason has come out upright, I do not know why.

spacer.png

To hold the mask together I use a piece of masking tape or masking material as transfer tape to keep the mask intact when I remove it from the backing paper and place it on the model, in this case it is Tamiya tape, also note the guide tape I used to get it into the right position.

spacer.png

Once I was happy with the positioning the "transfer" tape is removed and the letter and number section of the mask were carefully removed, this takes a steady hand a new #11 blade and some tweezers, any bubbles are squished down with a cotton bud.

spacer.png

And out with the airbrush loaded with Xtracolour Night X12 after I've airbrushed I like to remove the mask as soon as possible, again this is a tricky job needing a steady hand especially removing the circles from the 9's, but it is worth it.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Then on to the HGW Wet Transfers for the stencils, these come with a good set of instructions and a clear plan showing the placement of the stencils, however looking at wartime photos I am not sure that all the stencils are applicable to my subject.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

The stencils come in different colours to cater for the Night Fighter versions, which is lucky as mine has half and half undersides.

spacer.png

So on with the stencils, the instructions are very clear on how to do this,

Cut out the transfers,

Soak in warm water, remove the backing paper,

Apply decal solution to the area on the model wher you are placing the transfer, for this I used Mr Mark Softener Neo which is the recommended solution,

Place the transfer on the model and press out excess solution with a cloth and cotton bud,

Leave for six to eight hours, then remove the backing film, I left mine overnight.

You can see the film in the photo below, once dry I use a new #11 blade to lift a corner of the film and then tweezers to remove it completely.

spacer.png

More soon

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 6

Galloping towards the finish line now.

The HGW transfers worked fine though there are some tiny bits missing on some of them and the one on the radiator lost a chunk so will have to remove it and use a decal I think, but the HGW transfers are better than decals.

One thing that I did find was that using a plastic basin for the warm water meant that it went cold quickly don't know if that affected the process or not but something for me to watch out for in the future.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/14/2022 at 12:09 PM, alt-92 said:

I've scrounged up a simple USB cofffee mug warmer for that. Does zip-all to keep the coffee warm but works wonders in keeping decal water tepid :)

Thank you for the idea I have just got to find something similar, mind you the speed with which I build I don't need it just yet !

Cheers

Dennis

Two steps forward one step back being the order of the day, time for the twiddley bits.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Then the awkward parts, luckily the instructions have this nice diagram to help with assembly, I just need a third hand.

spacer.png

And just like that, well it really took a lot longer.

spacer.png

And then into the front bit, this looked a bit challenging but it worked out fine.

spacer.png

No positive attachment points so it was a bit awkward, but I used the spinner itself to get everything aligned.

spacer.png

Then just when I was feeling chuffed with myself I turned the model the right way up to sit on it's newly attached legs and discovered a gluey fingerprint on the fuselage spine.

But I have leared to be patient with this build and it has now been sanded, re painted and given a coat of satin varnish and is sitting on the shelf.

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 4

Well in a fit of modelling I repaired the damaged paintwork, fitted the main wheels, these had over large holes so I had to sleeve them to fit using plastic tube, fitted the undercarriage covers and aerial wire.

It's not really finished as iI should really dirty it up a bit and do some exhaust staining but I have had enough, everytime I touch it there is some sort of problem, so into the display cabinet it goes.

Maybe one day I will revisit it, who knows.

spacer.png

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

On 2/13/2022 at 8:33 PM, Biggles87 said:

So you’re saying it’s just been rolled out of the factory and not even had an engine run. 😛

Hi John,

With some recharging of my modelling battery it will be taken out of the hanger given a test flight onto my bench for finishing off.

Cheers

Dennis

• Haha 1