Pacific Coast Models Hawker Hurricane Mk. I fabric wing

spitfire

Just had a Sunday morning read through this with more than passing interest as I have two of these in the stash. Jings it’s Sunday but what a school day. I’ve learned lots thanks to your work and experience as well as great contributions from other like Troy. 

Going to pull up a chair and a cuppa and sandwiches and follow this one through. Enjoying this immense:popcorn:ly 

3 hours ago, mick said:

great work

3 hours ago, JohnT said:

Just had a Sunday morning read through this with more than passing interest as I have two of these in the stash. Jings it’s Sunday but what a school day. I’ve learned lots thanks to your work and experience as well as great contributions from other like Troy. 

Going to pull up a chair and a cuppa and sandwiches and follow this one through. Enjoying this immense:popcorn:ly 

Thanks guys, I think that I have turned the corner and can really crack on now, as long as there are no more surprises.

Cheers

Dennis

2 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

Blimey! I’d better buy some more 2mm Plasticard before I start mine. Great save on the wing roots.

John

Yes it's a bit agricultural but I did not lose much in the way of detail.

Cheers

Dennis

• 1 month later...

It hasn't gone to the plastic recycling box, I'm still plugging away at it, next up the radiator, I learned my lessons on the Tempest with this and painted the radiator parts black and the cover internals silver this time.

This is the instructions.

spacer.png

And here are the parts.

spacer.png

The fit needed some attention

spacer.png

But it got there eventually, then the PE was checked and needed trimming.

spacer.png

spacer.png

The same applied to the other piece of PE.

But it came out fine and just needed a little Mr Surfacer to fill the gaps

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Then onto the landing lights, the clear parts needed only minor adjustments to fit the wing.

spacer.png

spacer.png

I'll be back

Dennis

• Like 11

On 2/15/2021 at 3:24 AM, spitfire said:

So what's in the box, well for a start here is the box.

spacer.png

And a look inside reveals this

spacer.png

All neat and tidy

spacer.png

Some Resin, looks very nice

spacer.png

spacer.png

And on to the plastic

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Clear parts

spacer.png

And the subject of my build (top)

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Forgot the PE and the decals, which I thought were missing but in fact I had removed them from the box before it went up to the loft, no problem really as I won't be using them. They do look very nice though

spacer.png

spacer.png

Next up plastic bashing

Cheers

Dennis

What a cool selection of markings in this kit!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ModelingEdmontonian said:

What a cool selection of markings in this kit!

Yes, they certainly pushed out the boat with the decals when they fetched out a kit.

Cheers

Dennis

• 1 month later...

Well after being distracted by the Tempest and Spitfire IX plus the nice weather I am back with the Hurricane, first job as usual is to paint the undersides, looking through my battered (and still very useful) Ducimus Camouflage and Markings I have several choices, but the one I have opted for is set out below. As a digital version of the book is not available I have scanned the pages of my out of print book, if this infringes anyone's rights I will remove them.

However before I fire up my airbrush I want to make sure that I am on the right track as it has been a bit of a slog to get this far and I don't want to spoil it.

The choices, my favourite is bottom right, hopefully Troy will chime in on this.

spacer.png

From the same book

spacer.png

Opinions ?

Cheers

Dennis

1 hour ago, spitfire said:

As a digital version of the book is not available

there is

https://boxartden.com/reference/gallery/index.php/Camouflage-Markings/Hawker-Hurricane

as are the rest of the series.  

Handy for illustration of points on here ;) 

1 hour ago, spitfire said:

The choices, my favourite is bottom right, hopefully Troy will chime in on this.

this is LR-R, L1990

hurrilrr.jpg

This is crop of a larger photo,  but this shows a major fading of the fabric, as well what looks like gun camera on the wing? 

less visible, but still visible here

2527541716_722f54a43f_b.jpg

Not sure where a fuller image of LR-R appears off hand, there is/was a fuller version of the pic i linked online somewhere. I'll have a think. 

HTH

T

• Like 1

On 24/05/2021 at 16:30, spitfire said:

It hasn't gone to the plastic recycling box, I'm still plugging away at it, next up the radiator, I learned my lessons on the Tempest with this and painted the radiator parts black and the cover internals silver this time.

This is the instructions.

spacer.png

And here are the parts.

spacer.png

The fit needed some attention

spacer.png

But it got there eventually, then the PE was checked and needed trimming.

spacer.png

spacer.png

The same applied to the other piece of PE.

But it came out fine and just needed a little Mr Surfacer to fill the gaps

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Then onto the landing lights, the clear parts needed only minor adjustments to fit the wing.

spacer.png

spacer.png

I'll be back

Dennis

You are doing a great job with this. I bought the PCM kit when it first came out, but it's reputation for poor fit has put me off building it. I don't know how it would be possible to build it with upper wings attached to the fuselage and avoid alignment issues with the lower wing, so I suspect the route you have taken may be better in the end - but those were  enormous  gaps at the wing to fuselage join!  But it now looks very tidy.

11 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

Not sure where a fuller image of LR-R appears off hand, there is/was a fuller version of the pic i linked online somewhere. I'll have a think.

..posted, by me, on page 1, from Ducimus :doh:

Hawker%20Hurricane%20Camo%20&%20Marks_Pa

Thank you Iang and Troy, I've not seen that photo Troy but if you do come across the full sized one I would love to see it, the fading of the paint on the fabric wings is quite obvious but probably harder to pull off as my weathering skills are a bit lacking and it might look a bit strange on the model so I will have to have a ponder on that one.

The demarcation between the camouflage colours on L1940 also looks to be quite soft, so I might forgo the camouflage masks with their hard edges and go back to the blue tack and paper masks route that I usually use..

For the undersides from the write up above I could go either down the black, white and silver route or the black and white route, the latter is simpler and easier but the former would look more interesting, still not sure either way.

spacer.png

Iang, the kit is definitely worth building, I also have their metal winged version and will also build that one, plus the FLY kits in my stash, the gaps in the wing are pretty much the same on the PCM G55 which also gave me a headache but turned out well in the end. My next series of kits are planned as WW2 USN but I may switch to Hurricanes as I only have one in my display cabinets and that is the old Revell kit.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thanks for the input

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 2

4 hours ago, spitfire said:

Troy but if you do come across the full sized one I would love to see it,

Posted above.... it was at the bottom of page 56 of the Ducimus!  L1909 though, not L1990....

Caption says night, white aluminium,  note, L1936

3559753440_ba7649c142_b.jpgHurricane mk.I by Etienne du Plessis, on Flickr

split down the centre line

just for completeness

2525590932_97c06bc08e_b.jpgHurricane I by Etienne du Plessis, on Flickr

Might be worth seeing if there is any evidence how the sq codes read on the port side, LR*R, or R*LR? 

4 hours ago, spitfire said:

the fading of the paint on the fabric wings is quite obvious but probably harder to pull off as my weathering skills are a bit lacking and it might look a bit strange on the model so I will have to have a ponder on that one.

Just lighten the paint, I tried using ground up pale grey chalk pastel on mine, yiu can see the smear above the serial,  not totally succesful, and at some point it wasn't faded, 

40570325573_9cd61b22c6_h.jpg

Perhaps mask off the fabric and mist on a very thinned pale grey.   

Be a neat touch if you can get it too work,  it shows up quite well in the pic of L1940.  

HTH

• Like 1

Might give it a go then Troy, with some lightened green and earth, I usually do give the top colours a dash just to break it up a bit.

Cheers

Dennis

Not much progress but some at least, I've pretty much made up my mind to do the undersides in Night and White, split down the middle even though I think the Night, White and Aluminium looks nicer, and I will give the fabric wing sections a lightened version of the green and earth though that will be a bit tricky.

The landing lights were not as nice a fit as I first thought and gave me some headaches but they are fitted now and while not perfect will have to do.

The wing tip lights were drilled and a spot of green and red paint applied to represent bulbs and the back painted silver, these were then fitted and masked off.

The windscreen fouled the gun sight so it was carefully removed shortened and replaced, using some masking tape to stop it disappearing into the fuselage.

spacer.png

The windscreen was then fitted and gaps filled with Mr Surfacer.

spacer.png

The underside amber lamp was made up using an amber Little Lenses lens with the silver backing disc removed, the dimple in the fuselage was opened out a little to make it fit.

spacer.png

spacer.png

The radiator front and rear, landing lights and wingtip lights were masked off ready for painting the undersides.

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 2

On 21/07/2021 at 14:27, spitfire said:

Might give it a go then Troy, with some lightened green and earth, I usually do give the top colours a dash just to break it up a bit.

Neat little update Dennis, regarding the fabric vs metal, maybe worth also either using varnish and/or gentle polishing to show a different sheen between the metal and fabric areas.   Quite possible won't show in photos but maybe will in the person. 

cheers

T

Thanks Troy, what I might do is after painting the undersides I would normally airbrush the complete uppers in Dark Earth then mask and airbrush the Green.

What I could do is airbrush the outer wing panels, (outboard of the metal gun covers) in a slightly lighter Dark Earth and mask it off and airbrush the fuselage and wing centre section in the neat Dark Earth. Then apply the camouflage masks, airbrush a slightly lightened Dark green to the outer wing panels mask off again and airbrush the neat Dark green to the fuselage and wing centre section.

From the photos it is quite a contrast in colours on "mine" and L1940, so is worth a bit more thought

spacer.png

spacer.png

And another one

spacer.png

Cheers

Dennis

Edited by spitfire
Photo added
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well the Hurricane is now in the paint shop, but it wasn't easy, first of all before I got too excited about applying paint I thought that I ought to set up some small details for later.

Looking at the photo of L1909 it had a substantial aerial wire mast on the tail so a quick drilling and bodging session saw this.

spacer.png

But it was bound to be knocked off and lost so this is what I did.

spacer.png

And a hole drilled for the ring and bead post

spacer.png

And masking in progress.

spacer.png

Not forgetting these bits, notice the idiot proofing.

spacer.png

And away we went, I was a bit worried about this part (airbrushing) as it was my first time since having my cataract op so I was not used to using glasses to see what I was doing, quite a change as pre op my close in eyesight was superb, now without glasses it's rubbish. I only have one good eye so the other one doesn't help much.

And with a great sense of relief this was the result.

spacer.png

However on closer inspection I found this, which dodgy eyes or not I could not ignore.

spacer.png

So out with the sponge stick

spacer.png

Second attempt and all is well.

spacer.png

So I will leave well alone for a couple of days and then mask off and paint the black.

To keep me off the streets this has has found it's way onto the bench, glutton for punishment that I am.

spacer.png

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 3

Good recovery on the nose, looking forward to the black and white.

I have a PCM Spitfire XIVc which is destined ( eventually ) to become a XIVe with the help of a Grey Matter cut down spine, wheels and canopy, and an ‘e’ wing conversion from Alley Cat. It keeps tempting me but I’ve promised myself not to start anymore Spitfires ‘til I finish the couple of part built ones sitting in a box.

John

3 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

Good recovery on the nose, looking forward to the black and white.

I have a PCM Spitfire XIVc which is destined ( eventually ) to become a XIVe with the help of a Grey Matter cut down spine, wheels and canopy, and an ‘e’ wing conversion from Alley Cat. It keeps tempting me but I’ve promised myself not to start anymore Spitfires ‘til I finish the couple of part built ones sitting in a box.

John

Thanks John, I am also looking forward to getting the black on, though my thoughts do keep straying to a very dark grey, but that will probably not happen and a tin of RAF Night will come into play.

I also somewhere have a PCM XIV to build, but that can wait, I think the IX will be the last PCM build for a while unless I get the urge to go Italian.

Cheers

Dennis

34 minutes ago, Biggles87 said:

What about NATO black?

I'm an enamel guy and I don't know if Xtracolor of Colourcoats do that one I will have to check, I do have RAF Night in Xtracolor though.

Cheers

Dennis