Belkits Opel Manta 400 .

Windy37

The rollcage modification is complete on the Manta . I found a cocktail stick was the same diameter as the supplied rollcage plastic tube . I know , you ask , why not use plastic ? Well all my odd bits of straight sprue  cut offs are slightly too big and I have run out of plastic rod I have used on rollcage mods. before .  Once painted semi gloss black and shaped to fit , it looks right . 
  The helmet holder and seat harnesses were a tight fit behind the seats . 
51094660560_01fe8f72d2_k_d.jpg

I built up the whole rollcage , but didn’t glue the rear section in place so I could cut it later . Masking tape is helping to pull all the sections together while the glue sets . 
51095114333_b9a9ee653a_c_d.jpg

Next I cut the rear section out and shaped the cocktail stick to fit . 
51094652129_249936dc4a_c_d.jpg

The finished article . 
51097795810_28d2b86ddf_c_d.jpg

Also added finishing interior touches , sun visors and a map reading light fitted to top of rollcage - great detailing . The rollcage bar over the front of the dashboard looks scary , unprotected and waiting to be head butted in a heavy accident ! 
51097795680_09a526b926_c_d.jpg

51096993576_1f8287c394_c_d.jpg

Just the door cards to fit and the interior is complete . Thanks for looking  

Gary . 

• Like 14

11 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Nice thinking out of the box with the cocktail stick rollcage mod Gary - looks great! 

Keith

Thanks Keith . Certain people in the house are wondering where all the cocktail sticks are  disappearing too !

Gary

• Haha 1

With all the interior done , it’s decal time for the Manta . Models come alive when this process begins . The decal kit is by Reji , from Spotmodels . Not cheap at nearly £20 plus postage , I can’t afford to make any mistakes . As I have mentioned before, there is very little space between each decal on the backing sheet , so a steady hand is needed when cutting out . So armed with reference pictures I began with the Shell Oils nose band . This places across the triangular air vents on the bonnet , and as I feared the decal didn’t quite match the bonnet vents . Not far off though , I will be able to cut and touch up with white paint when it dries . 
  Decaling in progress with essential tools at hand . 
51110468185_fefd5297bf_c_d.jpg

The decals are thick , so none of the colours underneath are bleeding through . The corner of  the A on Andrews mysteriously went missing so that will need touching up , in a prominent place too .....  

Here’s where I got too , I leave door  rally numbers while last to make handling easier . 
51109689756_9f68236ee7_c_d.jpg

Thanks for looking   

Gary . 

• Like 13

Nice work Gary, very neat! How easy were the decals to move on the body when they came off the backing paper? Last time I used Reji decals they stuck like limpets as soon as they touched - could only get them to move after putting some washing up liquid in the decal water!

Keith

• Like 1

2 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Nice work Gary, very neat! How easy were the decals to move on the body when they came off the backing paper? Last time I used Reji decals they stuck like limpets as soon as they touched - could only get them to move after putting some washing up liquid in the decal water!

Keith

They weren’t easy to move at all . Once on , I just couldn’t move them without carefully lifting and repositioning .  I struggled with the Shell Oils nose band for this reason . Thanks for the washing up liquid tip , I’ll be trying that on the next session . 
  Gary . 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Toftdale said:

Cracking job on the interior 👏 as for the missing part of the A, if you have any old decals with black on it might be easier to use this and cut it to shape rather than painting.  - Andy 

Years ago I used to have some rub down letter sets that would have done the trick . Think they were called Letraset , maybe . Used to use them on school files and books . All those years ago ! 
Thanks for your interest , Andy . 
  Gary . 

• Like 1

Looking good, can't wait to see it finished. Seat & Belts look good to. I hate this part - all those buckles and threading in and out - and have left it till near-last in my Celica build.  Rally cares are worse here -  twice the number of seats!

Edited by galaxyg
  • Like 1

Quick update . As mentioned previously , the decals are proving problematic . The missing corner of the A is now joined by a missing V and a part H . 
51125916308_d06da8d006_c_d.jpg

51126006041_9a8aa9efeb_c_d.jpg

The problem , I think , is due to the decals are so closely printed on their sheet , very little area around each decal is allowed for . So when I float the decal into place , if not careful , the corner folds over before it is slid from backing to plastic . Only a few to go on now , so l will be extra careful with those . The V , of Vauxhall, above , will need cutting and hand painting . 
  Thanks for looking 

Gary . 

• Like 6
  • Sad 2

I have to admit I'd hoped Reji may have improved in their usability since my last experience with them, but sadly it appears not. But I appreciate the heads-up you've given us Gary, will be even more wary when I get to mine now!

Keith

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This is the modeller's conundrum: we want thinner decals, but the thinner they make them, the harder to apply they are! On occasions like these, I try to make the model as wet as possible and keep it wet until I'm happy with the location. I also won't apply all decals at one time if they are very thin.

So how did it go?

• Like 1

On 4/19/2021 at 8:56 PM, Windy37 said:

Quick update . As mentioned previously , the decals are proving problematic . The missing corner of the A is now joined by a missing V and a part H . 
51125916308_d06da8d006_c_d.jpg

51126006041_9a8aa9efeb_c_d.jpg

The problem , I think , is due to the decals are so closely printed on their sheet , very little area around each decal is allowed for . So when I float the decal into place , if not careful , the corner folds over before it is slid from backing to plastic . Only a few to go on now , so l will be extra careful with those . The V , of Vauxhall, above , will need cutting and hand painting . 
  Thanks for looking 

Gary . 

I have had the same problem.

You may try to fold them up with small brush and water. remove the also with a fine brush.

Regards

Andreas

• Like 1

Thanks for the comments.  I managed to get the rest of the decals on at the weekend , just not got around to posting any photos  . 

2 hours ago, Toftdale said:

Is it possible to weather the model in such a way as to hide the missing bits of the decals?  - Andy

I have touched up the missing letters with a cocktail stick . I'm not a fan of weathering,  all that work covered over !

Hopefully an update at weekend . 

Gary . 

• Like 4

Having spent the last few weekends modelling time decaling the Manta , this weekend I have been concentrating on adding detail to the body . But first a shot to try to explain the difficulties I have had with the decals . As I mentioned in earlier posts , the lack of space around the decals on their backing sheet has not allowed enough backing to be able to slide the decal into position without it folding under , and then not being able to retrieve it . Hope this picture shows the problem .

51149908842_a4147406b3_c_d.jpg

So onto body details . The various air intakes have photo etch mesh , which I sprayed to match the part of the car in which they fit . 
51154802565_020b758176_k_d.jpg

The kit comes with two different headlight designs , the big square design as used on Cavaliers from the era , but obviously it’s the 4 light set up this car uses . The tiny lenses were fiddly to fit to their chrome backing pods , blue tac on a cocktail stick the answer . The end result , once the front surround is added , looks great . The front number plate should be on a PE plate , but I forgot to add this before the car went into the spray shop ; I think it looks   better a bit more rally worn around the edges . 
51153699121_b5720859e8_k_d.jpg

51153699046_dc67c489a7_k_d.jpg

The rear lights were simple to colour , using Sharpies . I also have black Sharpied the window surrounds . Masks are provided which makes the job easier . 

51153028917_8ef61037f2_c_d.jpg

This one shows air vents meshed and PE bonnet pins . Incidentally, there is two front grille panels , the other being made up of four spotlights . 
51154801985_48d7fea633_c_d.jpg

And at the back , light lenses , number plate lights and PE boot fasteners . The number plate light holders and door handles are in a very 70s chrome ! There is tiny PE door locks provided ,  but research pictures show the actual car doesn’t have these fitted . 
51153930503_b852b08df5_c_d.jpg

51153698856_6a6df6143e_k_d.jpg

Not far off finished now , thanks for looking  

Gary . 

• Like 10

Despite the decal issues she's looking great Gary! 

I'm really glad of your pathfinding mission with these decals, I always have the habit of trimming decals as close to the item as possible to minimise carrier film - I think I'd have had a complete disaster if I did that with my set of these! 

Keith

• Like 1

Hi Gary despite your issues with the decals that's looking superb mate 👌 👍. The headlights in particular look awesome great work mate 👍. A bit late now but i find that placing troublesome decals in hot water rather than warm water can make a big difference when trying to place them in position on the car. However you deserve a lot of credit for taking on a scheme that would test the skills of any modeller....well done will look fantastic when finished 👏 👍 

• Like 2