Sherman - The M4 Tank in WWII Casemate Illustrated Special - Casemate UK

Julien

Sherman - The M4 Tank in WWII

Casemate Illustrated Special

ISBN : 9781612007397

spacer.png

The Sherman, its hard to think of a more iconic allied tank of WWII. There were plenty of different tanks out there but the M4 Medium Tank was the most numerous. It was used in all theaters of WWII by all the allied nations. While the Sherman may have been out gunned by the heavier Axis Armour the sheer force of numbers combined with the way it was deployed and supported won the day. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

This book from Casemate in their Illustrated Special range is just slightly smaller than A4 in size, hard back with 240 pages. The book is illustrated throughout with black and white photos, with some colour photos, plates & drawings towards the back of the book. The book looks all aspects of the Sherman in service, all the tank variants, and other uses,; along with post war use by other nations. Full contents of this expanded Casemate Illustrated Special are;

1. Origins
  2. Production
  3. The Chassis
  4. Turrets
  5. Armament & Ammunition
  6. Crew
  7. Evolution for the Sherman
  8. Logistics, Supply and Backup
  9. Numbering and Markings
  10. Unit Composition & Organisation
  11. The Success of the Sherman
  12. Sherman
  13. since 1945

spacer.png

spacer.png

Conclusion

This is a quality publication looking at this most important of Tanks in WWII. All aspectrs of the tank, its development, use and support are considered. There are great photos throughout which will be of interest to the modeller and WWII buff alike. Very Highly recommended.

bin.jpg

Review sample courtesy of

logo.gif

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, fatfingers said:

Thanks for reviewing this Julien. I've seen this on Amazon for a reasonable price so now I've seen your review it's been added to my 'to buy' list.

Regards,

Steve

I really like these Casemate Illustrated books and this is one of the biggest to date covering the Sherman. Its well laid out and not full of unnecessary technical jargon.

Julien

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Had this land on the mat today. Only had a flick through so far but have to say i'm rather impressed with it. Nice clear illustrations and photos throughout. I particularly like the info on French armoured regiments as its not something i've seen before. As @Julien says in his review above It's not too technical, unlike 'The Son Of Sherman' book I have and should be a nice easy read 👍

Regards,

Steve

• Like 1