Revell /Eduard 1/48 Good Bye Tornado F.3 ADV. Update 03/03/21

Hey everyone

I've been busy beavering away on my Revell (Hasagawa) Phantom F.4M (FGR.2) and I'm loving it, but as my work is starting to quieten down I've suddenly had the urge to build a Tornado.

I have the Revell Tornado IDS in the stash and me being me I priced up the AM I want for it and it comes to over £60.00, I nearly pulled the trigger and bought it all, that was until I remembered that I have the Eduard (Revell) Tornado F.3 in the stash that comes with a load of AM as standard - so I'll hang fire on spending more money for now (I say for now coz I WILL get all the AM I can for my IDS variant and build it as a RAF Tornado)..

Anyway a shot of the Box art...

1199753-11991-62-720

I'll make a start on her later, after the rugby and I've finished with my Phantom for today.

Cheers

Iain

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone

Well I haven't been sitting on my laurels for the past few weeks instead I have been working on my Tornado F3 from (Revell) Eduard. Prior to starting the build I had read / heard horror stories with regards to the fit of the kit and many folks had gotten so far only to bin the model because the issues were too great. Well thank the lord for Youtube and a certain Nathan Robinson I have watched his video build of the kit and managed (so far) to avoid the known issues, ok it means going totally off piste regarding the instructions but it does make sense and with a little care you can do the kit justice..

50992386157_19d8aa8719_o

An over all shot of where I am at the moment with the kit, as you can see I've made the wings, flaps, lower fuselage and upper fuselage..

50991572748_4767a9be5c_o

here you can see the seam between the fuselage pieces, I filled the gap (as small as it was) with sprue goo and left to harden for a week before lightly sanding it back, it still needs work but I'll give it a coat of Mr Surfacer 1200 first 

to highlight any faults and make rescribing easier..

50992266791_568ac16e26_o

Another area of the kit that needs careful attention is the upper fuselage deck, the fit here if you follow the instructions is rubbish, but fitting it early on in the build you can overcome the issues..

50992386172_40245d7731_o

..I did however fall into a common trap with this kit, knowing where the sprues finish and the kit parts start I managed to cut off all three flap parts and had to reattach them with sprue goo..

50992266971_d6b0b2e018_o-Edit

..I cut the locking mechanism off both wings so I could assemble the fuselage without having to fit the wings..

50992266991_2897c536fe_o

..I was going to spend a small fortune on AM for the kit but I gotta say the Eduard cockpit etch is very nice and certainly looks the part..

So thats that..

Cheers all, stay safe

Iain 

• Like 4

• (ex)Sgtrafman changed the title to Revell /Eduard 1/48 Good Bye Tornado F.3 ADV. Update 01/03/21

Hey everyone

Time for a little update and first off a picture to show how stupid I can be at times....

File_000

May I present a photo of my semi melted nose cone! What a wally! As you know I've been watching Nathan Robinson on YouTube and taking notes on how he has over come most of the 

fit issues associated with this model and one thing that he mentioned was that you need to add nose weight...not a problem so I decided to first add a blanking plate to the inside front of the 

nose cone to leave a slight void so I can attach a Master pitot probe at a later date, stupidly I used sprue goo rather than white glue to seal it and guess what its melted it! I'll leave it 

well alone for a week or so before I attempt to fix the problem with Milliput (or if anyone has a better idea please shout out?)

Any hoo the rest of the build isn't going too badly, I am encountering fit issues but I don't think they are as bad as the could've been..

File_002

File_003

File_004

File_005

File_006

File_007

File_008

File_009

File_010

File_011

File_012

As you can see there a few monster gaps to contend with but nothing that can't be fixed.

Cheers all and stay safe

Iain

• Like 6

• (ex)Sgtrafman changed the title to Revell /Eduard 1/48 Good Bye Tornado F.3 ADV. Update 03/03/21

Great start. I'm greatly encouraged by your build so far - I have a Farewell boxing of the Tornado which I want to finish as a Granby GR.1 but I've not had the confidence to start it yet. Nathan Robinson's videos suggest that it CAN be done, and your pics are a big help. I'll watch for a bit if I may and pick up some pointers along the way.

Cheers.

Q

Nice work so far! I had an absolute shocker with my kit, nearly found its way to the bin on a number of occasions. Lots of filler needed, but turns into a nice model in the end.

Great progress, I’ve built 3, well 2 successfully so I know the pitfalls. You’ve got a good result round the intakes but this kit always needs filler and fettling. I have this boxing in the stash for when I feel masochistic...