Jump to content

Market for 3d printed items


Recommended Posts

Greetings Respected members.

 

 My apologies if it is not in the right section. I had fair knowledge of 3d software Maya (learned about 15 years ago) as I did a course of it but due to change in profession am now only doing things related to graphic, Vector and Raster Images (I can refresh myself). However, during covid as I shift from Mumbai to my native place for the time being, I came a crossed a friend who also shifted due to job loss. So, we were talking about 3d printing and other stuff and start a small two men company. He is really good in character modelling when I say, good mean he is really good. But he has no idea about scale modelling so thought we could design and print some models, parts or figures using SLA printer. Since he is from a fine art background he know resin casting etc. My question is there a market for 3d printed parts or figures etc? (I have seen both the result of FDM and SLA, FDM i believe need lots of after work and might be problematic for small parts). 
There is zero market in my part of the world but we are willing to give it a try if there is a hope and ship anywhere. If any members here know about the market, can you please share a general idea, so that we are not going in a wrong direction. A guidance perhaps? Any suggestion or road map would be very nice. Yes, we know designing (graphic and 3d) he is mostly into organic as of now.

 

Thank you very much, really appreciate
 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Seated WW1 and Interwar pilot figures are needed in 1/48 and 1/32 and 1/28 [for the big old Revell kits]

There are very few resin ones available and the kit ones are often terrible looking

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Never mind the pilots - what about the groundcrew?

There not a lot out there for British groundcrew, especially in KD's  ( Khaki Dress, which was essentially shorts and a short sleeves shirt though most of the time we went without the shirts)

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Black Knight said:

Seated WW1 and Interwar pilot figures are needed in 1/48 and 1/32 and 1/28 [for the big old Revell kits]

There are very few resin ones available and the kit ones are often terrible looking

Thanks Mate, for the inputs. Yes, figures is for sure and those one we can surely look into it. Printing a large scale shouldn't be a problem.

1 hour ago, hendie said:

Never mind the pilots - what about the groundcrew?

There not a lot out there for British groundcrew, especially in KD's  ( Khaki Dress, which was essentially shorts and a short sleeves shirt though most of the time we went without the shirts)

 

Ground crews for diorama is very expensive from what I see online. Maybe we can produce at slightly lower price. Yeah, some figures without the shirts for hot tropic climate, even the one based in the part of the world I see some without shirts.
.................

We did like to start with Chindits too, Major Gen Orde Wingate died in air crash in this part of the world and always wanted to make Him and his forces with jungle carbine without horse.

...............

If and when me my friend start our little venture, I would like to send a samples to you @Black Knight @hendie, as token of appreciation for your input as they are invaluable to me and really appreciate it.
 

Link to post
Share on other sites

You maybe looking only at figures, but do consider vehicles too. With the dawn of the new Airfix Vulcan, I believe the world needs a 1:72 AEC Mammoth Major fuel tanker. And maybe even a Leyland Leopard crew bus! 

 

In general fuel tankers are worth looking into. Ww2 is well served and the Cold War quite well served, bit I don't believe there are any models of modern fuel tankers, such as a Scammel truck that might be used to fuel an RAF Typhoon. 

 

Also, while you are here - where are the Indian modellers, and why is there no market? It surprises me with so many great potential Indian aircraft subjects, like Marut, Kiran and Tejas. (All still needing a model!)

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Bangseat said:

You maybe looking only at figures, but do consider vehicles too. With the dawn of the new Airfix Vulcan, I believe the world needs a 1:72 AEC Mammoth Major fuel tanker. And maybe even a Leyland Leopard crew bus! 

 

In general fuel tankers are worth looking into. Ww2 and the Cold War are well served, bit I don't believe there are any models of modern fuel tankers, such as a Scammel truck that might be used to fuel an RAF Typhoon. 

 

Also, while you are here - where are the Indian modellers, and why is there no market? It surprises me with so many great potential Indian aircraft subjects, like Marut, Kiran and Tejas. (All still needing a model!)

Thank you @Bangseat will surely look into those suggestions really appreciate it. As of now we haven't quite figured how to make clear parts, we are thinking vacuform for the time. Small step at the time.
About the Indian subjects, as for Indian market it is there may not be as big elsewhere, my point regarding market was about my home tome, barely anyone even know what is scale model. Those three Indian plane is in my bucket list and surely will make one day for sure. I just hope the Chinese with a factory roll out style doesn't make a huge injection mould production and left us with no business at all. We did tried to make HAL Marut but got stall 
hal.jpgtop fin filter change
we tried to make the landing gear first.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 14/02/2021 at 19:02, Black Knight said:

Seated WW1 and Interwar pilot figures are needed in 1/48 and 1/32 and 1/28 [for the big old Revell kits]

There are very few resin ones available and the kit ones are often terrible looking

A thought; if you could make the pilot figure in pieces eg

1. feet & legs up to waist

2. main torso to neck

3. arms

4. Head

Would this be easier? The modeller can then glue all the parts together into whatever pose they want.

 

Another thought: a company which specialises in Napoleonic Wars figures, Historex, sells bags of body parts, eg, left arms, right arms, left legs, right legs, torsos, heads et cetera, so the modeller can mix the parts and build their figure in whatever pose they want

 

Perhaps you too could sell bags of say, 3 different pairs of legs, some left arms, some right arms, different heads

 

In some aeroplanes the pilots sits with outstretched legs, in some he sits with his legs closer to his seat. By offering a bag of different legs the modeller could buy them to suit his model and you wont have to have several different types of poses in stock

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Black Knight said:

A thought; if you could make the pilot figure in pieces eg

1. feet & legs up to waist

2. main torso to neck

3. arms

4. Head

Would this be easier? The modeller can then glue all the parts together into whatever pose they want.

 

Another thought: a company which specialises in Napoleonic Wars figures, Historex, sells bags of body parts, eg, left arms, right arms, left legs, right legs, torsos, heads et cetera, so the modeller can mix the parts and build their figure in whatever pose they want

 

Perhaps you too could sell bags of say, 3 different pairs of legs, some left arms, some right arms, different heads

 

In some aeroplanes the pilots sits with outstretched legs, in some he sits with his legs closer to his seat. By offering a bag of different legs the modeller could buy them to suit his model and you wont have to have several different types of poses in stock

 

@Black Knight These are really good inputs and I will keep in mind, I guess once a figure is made then we could do rigging and let it do whatever they want squat to jumping and as per iputs like your we can make it different positions and see where we can sliced it and print it. Then for a figure can have a few position and some choices for the modeller. I will have a chat with the friend and see what he says about this suggestion. Thank you very much once again.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...