Vickers Wellesley, 76 Sqdn, April, 1937

Just found this OM. As usual a very interesting and informative history with an excellent model. I too have a soft spot for those late inter-war types - on the verge of being modern but clearly not quite there as much experimentation was going on - which is why they are so interesting. Some very informative responses too.

P

• Like 1

On 4/9/2021 at 3:49 PM, pheonix said:

Just found this OM. As usual a very interesting and informative history with an excellent model. I too have a soft spot for those late inter-war types - on the verge of being modern but clearly not quite there as much experimentation was going on - which is why they are so interesting. Some very informative responses too.

P

The photographs put up by the gentleman from Wales are a real find.

It is an interesting period for design, but part of its attraction for me is the air of 'calm before the storm' that hovers about service types in those few years before they were put to unforgiving trial.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I've just been reading the East Africa section of 'Dust Clouds in the Middle East: The Air War for East Africa, Iraq, Syria, Iran and Madagascar 1940-42' by Christopher Shores. There is the sense that RAF personnel in Sudan didn't know what was about to hit them in 1939, but it all became deeply real very quickly. The photo printing is not great (is it ever?) but the day by day accounts are excellent.

I also read 'Under Their Own Flag - A History of 47 Squadron 1916 - 1946' by Owen Clark, which is also very good though on a more restricted subject area.