1/25 Revell / Monogram Jaguar E-Type Coupe 1961

Hi all, these are the final pictures of the E-Type, I spent quite a bit of time on this little kit, mainly trying to upgrade some of the parts such as the drivers rear view mirror mounting post. I also scratch built a new door mirror as I did not like the bullet style ones provided in the kit. The front headlamp frames were made from silver solder, bent into shape and flattened with a tea spoon. I did manage to throw away the tiny door handles when having a tidy up, I found one of them, so I had to make a copy in solder and PVA glue.

I found a way to pivot the bonnet by pushing heated metal pins into the front chassis cross bar and sliding on some plastic bushes. These were glued to the lower portion of the bonnet and a wire restraint was super glued to the chassis to limit the travel so that the chrome bumpers did not touch the ground. The US cars had clear indicator front lenses and all red tail lights, I liked the look of that, so found an Illinois rear plate in my spares box and added that.

I gave the car a wash with AK dirt/dust enamels to give it a used cross country dusty drive look. Overall, for a kit dating back to the early 60's I was impressed with the quality of the fit and shape. I look forward to building Revell's latest release and hope you all enjoy the photos. The outside ones were taken in biting -8 degree winds and after 5 minutes my fingers were numb!

Paints used:
Zero Paints - Jaguar Cotswold Blue
Mr Surfacer 1200/1500 black primer
2K Clear coat
Mr Color super metallics
Abteilung oils/matt thinner
UV Resin

UCqCQ1O.jpg
STSjbOi.jpg
LW2N4hE.jpg
oBxZ6Rl.jpg
Tm6YTTE.jpg
74leqlt.jpg
v8y11K9.jpg
vh2K0o7.jpg
FPaCS0Z.jpg
x5DBFUY.jpg
Hg1bjHP.jpg
Zeq8NvX.jpg
OHRTbRr.jpg
jBhZRCK.jpg
RsHAoSd.jpg

• Like 12

That's a nice model.  The hood cover, which I know you worked on, looks more like fabric and less like plastic.  I think I like the profile and rear three quarter views best.  The interior is great too.  My one negative criticism (and it is nit picking) is that the boot lid shut line looks a little soft and I wonder if a bit of a wash in the panel line would have improved it?

My final thought is that I'm fairly certain that the front bumpers on real E-types touch the ground when you open the bonnet; I'm not saying that you are wrong to put in a stop to limit the bonnet opening, I think it's a very good idea to prevent damage to your model.

3 hours ago, johnlambert said:

That's a nice model.  The hood cover, which I know you worked on, looks more like fabric and less like plastic.  I think I like the profile and rear three quarter views best.  The interior is great too.  My one negative criticism (and it is nit picking) is that the boot lid shut line looks a little soft and I wonder if a bit of a wash in the panel line would have improved it?

My final thought is that I'm fairly certain that the front bumpers on real E-types touch the ground when you open the bonnet; I'm not saying that you are wrong to put in a stop to limit the bonnet opening, I think it's a very good idea to prevent damage to your model.

Edited by Lee Chambers
wrong area

Thanks for your kind comments,i agree the panel lines are a bit soft,i did had a wash,but the camera has not really picked it out that well.

I look forward to building the larger 1/24 Revell kit in the future and hope to improve on the next build.

• Thanks 1