Belgian Air Force CF-100 Mk 5 Canuck

reini

Belgian Air Force CF-100 Mk 5 Canuck

50939339293_a36309076e_o.jpg

Kit: Hobbycraft CF-100 All-Weather Fighter (HC1391)

Scale: 1/72

Aftermarket: Modeldecal decals and Iroquois Models seats

Paints: Hataka Red Line and Vallejo Model Air and Vallejo Metal Color

Weathering: Flory Models Wash, Tamiya & MiG weathering products

Not a bad kit at all of this little bit more obscure plane. Quite simple cockpit and wheel details but other than that looks like a nice and detailed kit. Added wing extensions from plasticard, the version in the box is Mk.4 and Belgians used Mk.V with the extended wings. Main camo painted with Hataka Red Line acrylics, my first proper paintjob with Hataka paints.

Built for Interceptors GB

Build thread:

50940145037_20a7fffe7f_o.jpg

50940036806_044347daca_o.jpg

50940145017_4af2240af0_o.jpg

50939339318_2aa924a4d9_o.jpg

50939339253_7436c4c2aa_o.jpg

50940036776_c689da2926_o.jpg

50940036731_759e898757_o.jpg

50939339463_791d711ed1_o.jpg

• Like 39

19 minutes ago, 2996 Victor said:

Great build and superb finish of an unusual subject - I didn't know that they'd been used outside of the RCAF!

Belgians used them, but only for few years. From late 50's to mid 60's. They were replaced by Starfighters.

• Thanks 1

Nice to see another Clunk! I wish I had seen your WIP, The Mk5’s all had extended horizontal stab’s as well as wingtips. Ironically, the extended wing tips could be removed, and had to be for the tip tanks to be fitted. When the RCAF hung on to some Clunks for service as EW trainers, they removed the extended tips, kept the extended stab’s and created the 5D.

• Like 1

Beautiful work Reini, I like this a lot!

I have the same kit, still waiting for decals. And after some 20 years a fresh coat of paint would be welcome too. I'm looking for this in 1/48 scale and wish to finish it as an EW trainer of Cold Lake... A CF-100 in 1/32 scale; that would really be something.

Cheers,

Antti

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Antti_K said:

A CF-100 in 1/32 scale; that would really be something.

One of the members on Large Scale Modeler is working on one. It's a 3D print so isn't perfect but a definite starting point. 

I'm hoping that maybe Jetmads will step in and make one. Some of us tried to convince Paul Fisher to do one before the fire destroyed his home and business.

• Like 3

That looks really great and I too have the Mk.IV kit however wanting to make an extended wing Belgium Mk.V. I’ll have to check your WIP to see how you went. 
Cheers and well modelled.. Dave

• Like 1

Yes! Nice one! I love the CF-100, and especially the Mk.5 with extended wings. And Belgian markings too! You managed to build a real stunner from this very, very basic kit. Nice touch on adding the engine intake de-icing bars too.

I was lucky to find the Hobbycraft Mk.5 version (initially I also got fooled by the misleading cover art of the Mk.4B) and I have the same decal sheet ready. I still have to look out for some replacement bangseats, as the kit ones indeed look quite atrocious.

• Like 1

nice work, to add to all the previous comments !!

you could add the pull handles to the top of the MB Mk2 ejection seats :)

for any and all 'Clunk' fans, there is this set on the horizon; http://www.flightlineengineering.com/item_72_cf100_update_set.html?fbclid=IwAR2qiMsA2ZFAMyVjfS2L_g76Fxu8fmoChcrll7B0Hila-w5Ihv0eOhwgwE8

Cheers, Tony

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That's a really nicely done Canuck. Something you rarely see in 1/72.

Probably one of the best I've seen done in that scale.

How did you get on with the Modeldecal decals? Most of the sheets I've used, I've had to really wash every decal.

I also find those red line Hataka paints to be pretty good & good color matches.

Martin

• Like 1