Pacific Coast Models Hawker Tempest

spitfire

Looks fantastic Dennis!

I used the same masking technique on my 1/24 Spitfire (nearing completion), though I had to make my own Frisket masks. It's amazing how much paint these big kits use, and as with yours, always some post masking/painting touch-up required.

15 hours ago, spitfire said:

then have a stab at the HGW Wet Transfer stencils

I have these for my 1/48 Eduard Tempest, waiting patiently in the stash. I didn't like the colour of the Eduard decs. I've not used HGW Wet Transfers so will follow with interest.

Cheers,

That does look great.  With the markings done.  Will see what these Wet transfers from HGW are like. Was not impressed with their 32 scale rivets to be honest spent ages adding them to the rear half of the fuselage on my Spitfire Mk.V.b and when I had painted you could not see them !!!

Great work 

Chris

8 hours ago, Johnson said:

Looks fantastic Dennis!

I used the same masking technique on my 1/24 Spitfire (nearing completion), though I had to make my own Frisket masks. It's amazing how much paint these big kits use, and as with yours, always some post masking/painting touch-up required.

I have these for my 1/48 Eduard Tempest, waiting patiently in the stash. I didn't like the colour of the Eduard decs. I've not used HGW Wet Transfers so will follow with interest.

Cheers,

Thank you Charlie, I used dry transfers on a build years ago and they came out well so I will be interested to see how I get on with these, though I have seen some good results on other builds,

49 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

That does look great.  With the markings done.  Will see what these Wet transfers from HGW are like. Was not impressed with their 32 scale rivets to be honest spent ages adding them to the rear half of the fuselage on my Spitfire Mk.V.b and when I had painted you could not see them !!!

Great work 

Chris

Thanks for the kind words Chris, I've seen these wet transfers used on a couple of builds now and the seemed to come out well so fingers crossed.

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 1

Time for the HGW wet transfers.

spacer.png

This is what is in the packet.

spacer.png

Instructions

spacer.png

And the instructions, there is also a very helpful video on the internet from HGW.

spacer.png

I have seen a few builds using them and there was a tutorial thread on here a while back.

So on with the show all ready to go warm water, Mr Softener, tweezers, new #11 blade, cotton buds and a toothpick..

spacer.png

I have read that others have use a different decal solution but I was taking no chances and used the recommended one.

And it was really easy, applying them was easier than normal decals as they are a bit more tolerant to handling than ordinary decals.

A tip that I did pick up was to turn a corner up on the film to aid removal.

I did all the stencils on one wing (bottom of) and left them well alone for a day.

Removing the film was easy and I was just left with the stencil, a quick wipe with a wet (water) cotton bud and any residue was gone, and they looked great.

spacer.png

spacer.png

So I am now working on the other ones and it is a very simple process.

On the stencils for the Tempest there is an emergency canopy jam rescue stencil in red which I could not find on any photos of Tempests, a search revealed a post on Britmodeller started by the Typhoon and Tempest guru Chris Thomas which identifies that this is a post war stencil, so thank you Chris.

And so I am getting back to my stencils right now.

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 6

They do look good.  When I used them they behaved very well,  the rivet decals were what I used and could have done with being thicker as they looked great until I painted over them and they were pretty much invisible.   

Chris

• Like 1

13 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

They do look good.  When I used them they behaved very well,  the rivet decals were what I used and could have done with being thicker as they looked great until I painted over them and they were pretty much invisible.   

Chris

Thanks Chris, I've not tried the rivet ones but from your comments I have not missed anything !

10 hours ago, Johnson said:

They look very good Dennis. Thanks for your detailed post. It's surprising that they are not more widely available.

Thank you, I saw the Tempest decals on another build but they were OOP and not available anymore, however I persevered and got two sets from UMM in the US, of course then HGW fetched them out again.

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I thought it was about time that I updated this build so here we go.

I struggled a bit with masking the wing walkways then I remembered my stretchy bendy Tamiya tape and then it was easy peasy.

spacer.png

I did wonder about using a dark grey for the walkways but in the end went for RAF Night (Xtracolor)

spacer.png

Then followed lots of paint touch ups as I had built up the paint too much which had caused ridges to form when airbrushing the green using the masks, so these were smoothed back and the places were I was a bit too enthusiastic were touched up.

Then it was time to damp down the glossy Xtracolor finish, for this I used Xtracolor Satin XDSS, as the Tempest in 1/32 is a bit big I decided to do this in two shots, so first of all the undersides were airbrushed. Usually I think up a cunning way to hold the model and airbrush both sides at once but was stumped this time.

spacer.png

This was left to dry and then holding onto the model by a wing the upper sides were airbrushed, notice the still shiny bit where I was holding it, this was airbrushed when the rest was dry.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Then it was time to wrap things up and add all the finishing touches

spacer.png

spacer.png

The prop assembly looked a bit of a puzzle, it reminded me of the old resin conversions that I built years ago, and there was not template to get the angles right, however after a couple of dry fits I was happy that I could get the angles on the blades correct using the cut outs on the spinner and back plate using diagrams and photos of the real thing.

The central hub was not a great fit to the back plate but a bit of sanding and scraping improved the fit, the blades were then dry fitted to the hub and the hub glued to the back plate.

spacer.png

And the spinner was then fitted, not a great fit but it will do.

spacer.png

That's all for now

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 6

5 hours ago, spitfire said:

Then it was time to wrap things up and add all the finishing touches

Always great to get to that stage, and nice to see it coming together. It's all looking very good!

2 hours ago, Johnson said:

Always great to get to that stage, and nice to see it coming together. It's all looking very good!

Thank you for that, it is really nice to see it all coming together now, soon be there

Cheers

Dennis

• 2 weeks later...

Well finally on the last lap, I've just finished putting the decals on the wing tank fairings and as others have mentioned the decals are one line short so I have had to resort to silver paint.

The under carriage going on.

spacer.png

All the final bits and pieces

spacer.png

and the wing tanks

spacer.png

Prop loosely attached

spacer.png

spacer.png

Just the aerials, wing tanks gun barrels and some dirtying up to do now and she's finished, the attachment points for the wing tanks are a bit vague so I will probably use canopy glue to attach them and wipe off any excess with cotton buds.

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Nearly there, the wing tanks have been giving me grief, though it's my own fault as usual, it took a while to get the clear fairing frame decals in place, then I had to paint the areas were I was short of one decal.

Then I decided to dirty the tanks up a bit so I held the tanks with clamps on the clear fairings while I did this.

Fair enough, it went well but when I removed the clamps I also removed the decals that I had so carefully applied, so out with the paint again, not a great job but it will have to do, it's shame as the PCM decals for the tanks are better than the HGW Wet transfer versions.

I also decided to drill the wing and fit pins to the tanks to fit them to the wings rather than just glue them to the wing, it's not accurate as the fuel pipes were at the rear of the tank on the real thing but never mind.

I don't normally do things under wings but the Tempest tanks are so much a part of the Tempest story that I had to fit them.

I also realised that I had forgotten to remove the masking disc from the various underside lamps so it was nice to remove them and see the finished results.

spacer.png

And the corresponding holes in the wing.

spacer.png

Then the radio aerial, it is showing on the photo as black but it's steel in real life as I believe they were stainless on the real thing.

spacer.png

And the gun barrels, for this I used drilled out plastic rod painted with metallic black.

spacer.png

Test fit of a tank, not the greatest fit, but no one will see it apart from me, and you lot.

spacer.png

And the IFF aerial, again painted with steel

spacer.png

And the semi finished state it is in at the moment, I am rather pleased with the result as it looked a bit iffy if I would actually finish it at the start of the build.

spacer.png

That's about it, I'm just waiting for the varnish on the other tank to dry before I can fit it and then I'll take some more photos for the RFI.

Cheers

Dennis

Edited by spitfire
Grammer
  • Like 4

On 6/26/2021 at 1:58 PM, Biggles87 said:

I’ll be pleased too if mine turns out like that when I eventually build it.

Tempest II next?

John

Thank you John, if I had known it would have turned out as nice as it has I might have done some things differently but in the end I have a nice completed model and the second part of the build was very enjoyable.

As to a Tempest II I was tempted but as it has only been released in the Hi Tech version which is quite expensive and it is outside of my chosen WW2 period I passed, if they ever release a non Hi Tech version I might reconsider.

On 6/26/2021 at 2:58 PM, bigbadbadge said:

Very nice indeed

Chris

Thank you very much Chris, it's appreciated.

Cheers

Dennis