Pacific Coast Models Hawker Tempest

spitfire

3 hours ago, Roland Pulfrew said:

Starting to look seriously good now. I’m glad you decided not to consign this to the bin. Got to love a Typhoon/Tempest; it’s one of my favourite aircraft.

Thank you Roland, and yes the Typhoon/Tempest series are favourites of mine as well, really aggressive looking aircraft but graceful as well.

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, spitfire said:

Thank you Roland, and yes the Typhoon/Tempest series are favourites of mine as well, really aggressive looking aircraft but graceful as well.

Cheers

Dennis

Same, just reading Pierre Closterman's memoir and finding out it's a superb aircraft I knew next to nothing about. It's nice when that happens. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Alan P said:

Same, just reading Pierre Closterman's memoir and finding out it's a superb aircraft I knew next to nothing about. It's nice when that happens. 

Now that’s a good book. I remember reading it years ago, maybe time to reacquaint myself with it.

• Like 2

Well that went well, the Dark Green did need some touch up, this was done and then a lightened mix was randomly airbrushed to take away the uniform finish.

This was the result.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Next up, the markings

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 8

12 hours ago, Alan P said:

Fantastic. Will look brilliant once the rest of the masks come off. 

Thank you Alan, hopefully I can start on the roundels today.

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 1

And the fun begins, using a sharp blade and tweezers I removed the white and red mask sections of the fuselage roundel masks, the yellow ring is already there so just red, white and blue.

spacer.png

Then I removed the white and red mask sections from the underwing roundels, the blue is already there so only the white and red to do.

spacer.png

The removed mask sections are stored safely as once the white is on the white section needs to be replaced so the red can go on.

spacer.png

And then the rest of the model was masked off ready for the airbrushing, the upper wing roundels only needed the red centre section removing as the blue is already there.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

And we are good to go, just the serial and fin flashes to sort out, I may cheat and use a decal for the fin flashes though, we'll see.

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 5

On 3/7/2021 at 11:04 AM, Alan P said:

just reading Pierre Closterman's memoir

On 3/7/2021 at 1:37 PM, Roland Pulfrew said:

maybe time to reacquaint myself with it.

The book has been discussed on here before. I myself have read it several times over the years. I think the general opinion, to be polite. is to use the phrase,

'A little embellished' with tales that may have happened to others. A Bright yellow Fw 190? really?

Dennis, sorry for the small hijack there. It's good to see you back at this and it is looking very nice indeed.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

The book has been discussed on here before. I myself have read it several times over the years. I think the general opinion, to be polite. is to use the phrase,

'A little embellished' with tales that may have happened to others. A Bright yellow Fw 190? really?

Dennis, sorry for the small hijack there. It's good to see you back at this and it is looking very nice indeed.

No problem at all, and thank you for the kind words

Cheeers

Dennis

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

I think the general opinion, to be polite. is to use the phrase,

As long as publishers exist, memoirs will be embellished, tarted up, padded and generally mangled. It's an industry with little regard for reality, so true stories rarely survive untarnished. 

Don't get me started on Bravo Two Zero... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Looking sheer quality Dennis,those painted marking's will take it to another level.

That's very nice of you to say Steve, I always get nervous at this stage as you remove mask sections, paint, replace mask sections, paint and then remove the masks, at which point you know if it's good or bad.

Sometimes it doesn't work but it's great when it does..

Cheers

Dennis

12 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

Late again, as usual.

I have the Special Hobby kit, but I’ll tag along if I may in the hope of ‘ borrowing ‘ some tips.

John

You are very welcome John pull up a digital chair and relax.

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Teuchter said:

Must have been, Aurora kitted it?

also apologies for interruption... Good work so far

Don

Thank you Don.

Cheers

Dennis

Just been back to the beginning and read it properly, great build. I wish I had the patience to mask and paint markings, but when I get to that stage the actual build has usually taken so long that I want together it finished.

John

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Biggles87 said:

Just been back to the beginning and read it properly, great build. I wish I had the patience to mask and paint markings, but when I get to that stage the actual build has usually taken so long that I want together it finished.

John

Thank you John and yes I have a dose of the "dash for the line" urge to get it built that is why I have the Hurricane on the go to keep me occupied while the Tempest is drying.

Cheers

Dennis

Well the white went on well, but now I will have to wait a couple of days to replace the white masks and airbrush the red.

spacer.png

spacer.png

I could not resist finishing off the upper wing roundels though so out with the airbrush and the Colourcoats ACRN22 RAF/FAA Red and away we went, then off with the masks to reveal:

spacer.png.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Now back to the Hurricane

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 4

14 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Looks very nice indeed, great job

Chris 

Thanks Chris, it's very satisfying when it works !

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 1

Hi Dennis,

Very useful tips to on painting codes and roundels, which I may have to use soon. The use of Tamiya tape as a reference to get codes lined up - very useful!

Great thread and excellent build! Thanks for sharing - I'm glad you did!

Cheers,

8 minutes ago, Johnson said:

Hi Dennis,

Very useful tips to on painting codes and roundels, which I may have to use soon. The use of Tamiya tape as a reference to get codes lined up - very useful!

Great thread and excellent build! Thanks for sharing - I'm glad you did!

Cheers,

Thank you for that and you are very welcome, other people's build threads are always giving me good ideas so I am more than happy to pass on my ideas.

Cheers

Dennis

• 5 weeks later...

It's been a while, the Hurricane has been testing me quite a bit so this one has been somewhat neglected, but there has been some progress,

I cheated and used decals for the fin flashes and I was not happy with the under wing roundels so they were sanded off, the wing repainted and decals applied which is a rarity for me as I don't normally used decals other than for stencils.

So this is where it is now.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Just the serial to paint now then have a stab at the HGW Wet Transfer stencils.

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 5