1:32 Fokker D.VII (Alb.) Sevens Swabians from Wingnut Wings D.VII (Fok.) "Early"

Xtof P

So here for the start of my second Wingnut Wings kit, actually my second WWI build all together, the beautiful Fokker D.VII. I´ve obtained the kit just two years ago when i decided to start this hobby again after some 30 years of absence. But after doing the Fokker D.II i was on fire again. I decided to do the engine first. I,ve got the HGW super detail set and Taurus spark plugs, timing gear, primer cups as well as the intake manifold nuts... all in for my first WWI inline engine 🙈. I tried copper line from a cable for the spark plugs but was not completedly happy. So fiddly and a bit too thin. Also the bend is not as smooth as i liked. Probably my Hands are a bit too shakey. So for the wires from the distributors i used Prym elastic. I think that worked much better. Just trying out and learning.....

spacer.png

y4m4N6nHMQB-d4kEDl4f6x5ZIqQe2DrHNOWu5AjL

y4mSP0c7agvIbV44b8DV4orhK9a1ZQpX7_1968Uz

y4mG6YpjVTS1qgd6HGn8J-TywjeBLdzYVtDFZ_lN

y4mbIDVSs3DABubn_MYJf816PyroPLxIQGdQWI9Z

y4mkW9vhqWljJiTn53n_HlGPz4Sle2iT_ohPsaej

• Like 9

Thanks John! And yes youre right with WnW - luckily i have most of the single seat fighters in my stash ... still miss the Sopwith Triplane and the Roland D.Vb 😥 And I've really been looking forward to the Lancaster. 

All the best, Christof 

• Like 1

So next i made the Cockpit and interior Framing. I´ve been using the excellent HGW seatbelts and the first bits of Aviattic´s decals set for the "Seven Swabians" and the tester bit of Wood decal from the HGW set for the floor and Instrument panel, which i sanded flat, decalled and put on the Instruments fron HGW as well as Taurus Models Starting Magneto and Magneto Selector Switch. I decalled the dials with a mix of the kits gauges and the ones from Aviattic, simulating the glazing with Micro Crystal Clear. Forr the internal rigging i used EZ Line and Prym Elastic for control cables. Painting is mostly done wit an airbrush using Alclad for the metal stuff and Tamiya for the rest.

So far, so good - but next there woll come the big challenge: decalling the whole thing with the aviattic set. The last large decals i´ve used were on an old truck trailer kit in the mid 1980´s ..... and they turned out to be a complete catastrophy! So that´ll ad a bit of exitement to my life 😉.

Lets see what happens....

y4m699t1JV8zqS8D9oV1z17-WFPi1Q0-18f5iUk5

y4mJ9Mw1O3XJ3g2mH2tflviMkIgNMwSB89ATwDU4 

y4mrdOX_9pdR3EhqNAH8gi4QevApWurC8Z1Wp0_F

y4mkyqamxsQyLCzxGO7-K73dtaq_0Isdqy5241Cp

y4mF3R186yafkL5SD7uN87Gm-BalIO0Ec7wzW8SY

y4mCAFeN_w7SgQ0mBBHhb67qywPgovOz-XLk0PyA

y4mmfD-LJk-z1QMO70Fnx4kNPOoOGn6piiHymHqC

y4m-0yhXrwZ4wCwYHNNNQKspBuRkjioZLMhD4KHW

• Like 13

There is one more issue with this build: for i just have got the Wingnut Wings kit for the D.VII (Fok.) "Early" and i want to make the OAW built "Seven Swabians" i miss the whole "J" sprue with the adequate cowling panels. As the wonderful Melvyn Hiscock heared about this issue - and he is just building some Fokker D.VII himself - he offerd me the missing parts.

Melvin tried sending them indeed - but the customs sent it back saying it was refused entry 😠😡🤬🤔

What the heck could be the reason not to pass a few modelling parts through customs????? Soooo sad!

Edited by Xtof P
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

…. so putting he fuselage together. the fit is just great.

y4mQQn84_nijf4dnPHOKB8Vs-iiD6YTSqKl9NYfs

y4mUkpyWLeH3b3o-ZHQE7KZxn2Z6TcvGLboya9oz

i´ve also pimed the wings with Tamiya gloss White. A bit of preshading. I,ve masked the ribs wit 1mm tape, then applied a light preshading with Tamiya smoke.

y4mkaFoL00ZBiNcpimDg8nJALEWXKC7fRDNlWDvS

And now the thrilling bit: applying the Aviattic lozenghe decals! never done this before!! I´m using Micro Setfirst, then decals tihtly cut and soaked in warm water - just following the instructions. Mico Sol on top. And even use an old hairdryer to smoothen it down:

y4mWcqmEBEio1f5i52Yf5gyQCMMYAKQUQlxZTt5Z

y4mMvEZ0bgw7UoU1jTapLK6dgYcQqsZ23va-6MnZ

These decals are just fantastic! extremely thin but still you hardly can tear them and they go down on the surface so smoothly. Just follow the instruction step by step step and take some care and time. They are of a perfect shape too. just started from the middle section outwards, underside first. I aligned the trailing edge on the underside, the leading edge on the upper side - seems to work both. So happy now 😉

Edited by Xtof P
Bad spelling
  • Like 9

y4mBU29S1LsnqeRhWJr5qeeW9h5iSaZEOFY5ib-a

I´ve installed the triangular panels next to the engine and filled and sanded the gap. For i still havent got the Panels from the OAW J-sprue i used the ones from the Fok. kit and sanded off the moulded hatches. I plan to ad the proper bits later….

More preshading on the fuselage and control surfaces… a little too much as you´ll see here:

y4mjCO6H7eOLRSWGkib7CeHa-TXYIZiEXxPC5l83

y4mMmZXhQJKDdC4S_E4ZRI66knlu870HarPc0gal

I then painted the panel in front of the pilot as well as the two on the underside as well as the Landing gear wing using a mix of tamiya paints and selfmade masks. no perfect fit yet…. will see how i solve that …. 

y4mNC0YFBBiPicSVy5I4_y4Z-0gbsxDLAVnyo5g9

for the triangular hatches i modified some from the HGW photoetch by cutting a slot and making a bulge with a pointed chisel. 

y4mNWG4EwejKY4VLT5wKC_oyqJmf1SaPh6BeBp3l

next i will drill out the round openings below where the decal is white and see how to produce some caps for there. Does anybody know, if thosse caps had been secured to the fuselage by some sort of wire or chain? Might be looking cool if there is one of them just hanging there with the interior exposed...

Edited by Xtof P
  • Like 9

9 hours ago, Andwil said:

I’m sorry, but the fuselage looks like it is inside out, which spoils an otherwise brilliant model.

AW

.....as i wrote before, overdone the preshading. Those decals are more transparent than i thought. I might try some filters when i finished decaling and sealed it up. Still learning ....

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Xtof P said:

.....as i wrote before, overdone the preshading. Those decals are more transparent than i thought. I might try some filters when i finished decaling and sealed it up. Still learning ....

I certainly hope you can fix it as the model is otherwise exceptionally good 🤞

AW

• Thanks 1

The LMG 08/15 adorned wit all that metal from Master and HGW make two nice Looking pieces of jewellery….

y4m0MDZc0Jpam_FxDF8pHVzmojCYEAqlFcklEmFH

• Like 4

The cockpit and engine are fantastic as is the decaling on the wings. I really hope you can tone down the pre-shading on the fuselage, it'll be a superb looking model if you can. Best of luck and keep going.

Duncan B

1 hour ago, Duncan B said:

The cockpit and engine are fantastic as is the decaling on the wings. I really hope you can tone down the pre-shading on the fuselage, it'll be a superb looking model if you can. Best of luck and keep going.

Duncan B

Tanks Duncan! Still wondering how to do that. Probably some filtering with oils might do the trick..... 🤔 I'm open for any ideas! 

• Like 2

Step 1 on toning down the preshading. I tried to soften the annoyingly bright stripes that came from the masking  before preshading by using soft black pastels and a small stiff brush. I think i will try to make it a bit more uniform still by applying a light sandish-grey oil filter wash thing after varnishing. Never done that before so i might go from SNAFU to FUBAR..... 

y4mbO36tWOXBFuNabqMJ9dlxXLIJfdIl22tHGr7G

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

So before i make any update on my little Swabian i´d like to dedicate this build to the wonderful Melvyn Hiscock who so very sadly passed away. I´ve mentioned him before in this blog when he tried to send me the missing cowling parts to convert my Fokker to the OAW built version i´m doing here. It was a pleasure to communicate with him via this forum. A truely great modelmaker who was so very kind to help a newby like me!

Thanks Melvyn!

Edited by Xtof P
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, sanfrandragon said:

I’m sorry to hear this sad news.  I believe Aviattic are selling conversion parts for the OAW version now.

Thanks sanfrandragon, you´re right. I´ve ordered these parts from Aviattic already . Not very much Progress till they arrive

The decals set is from Aviattic as well and the quality is just outstanding. Sadly for making those decals they seem to have started from the premise the builder would have the OAW kit. So i´m missing the adequate crosses as well as the tiny "Nur hier anheben" stencils for the wingtips. I´ve made my own decals for the crosses and i think about painting a tiny white scribble for the stencils…. Here´s a pic from the model with my decals. The white is a little too less opaque so i´ll have to do some touch up there.

y4md-MQFvFNzK_7bxb5BMSvLKSwnsSmwHxpOc3rq

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Still no progress on this build.... 😴 Aviattic posted the conversion set i'd need a fourtnight ago and now it's stuck in customs.

I think I'll start my Tamiya 32nd scale Zero now and post it in WIP soon. 

Hi Chris, excellent job so far. When you do the toneing down of the fuselage preshading, a point to note is that the top of the fuselage had a plywood covering, so would not have the stripes going across. Maybe you can take those out?  See Mikes' cut-away model at Mikes WW1 Aircraft Models.com. Regards, Pete in RI

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, europapete said:

Hi Chris, excellent job so far. When you do the toneing down of the fuselage preshading, a point to note is that the top of the fuselage had a plywood covering, so would not have the stripes going across. Maybe you can take those out?  See Mikes' cut-away model at Mikes WW1 Aircraft Models.com. Regards, Pete in RI

Thanks a lot Pete! Thats a bit of a blow for me..... how to take those out completedly 🤔🙈 ? No idea how to achieve that yet....