Bandai perfect grade gundams

A couple of years ago after many years of building aircraft models, I discovered the world of Gundam and soon found myself sucked in as the engineering and simple push fit of these kits came as a breath of fresh air as not much in the way of seam filling or rescribing and accuracy isn’t even on the radar with these subjects so you are free to do whatever you like colour wise

this is an aile strike gundam in 1/60 so around a foot tall and fully articulated, it has a detailed inner skeleton which I did paint but alas once the armour goes on is mostly hidden from view 

it was painted mainly in Tamiya and Gunze mr colour lacquers and I used a Pearl clear coat over the top and that gives it the metallic finish that is visible in the pictures (mainly on the darker colours )

Perfect grade Strike Gundam finished

• Like 20
  • Thanks 2

I'm not much of a Gundam fan as there are simply so many of them (and all virtually identical to my eyes), but your work makes me want to run out to buy one and build it up...

Excellent work - love the pics and dynamic poses of them.

• Like 1

On 2/13/2021 at 8:24 PM, stevehnz said:

Those look impressive, even though they're not really my thing, I have a son getting into Gundam lately & I think he will enjoy to see these too.

Steve.

thank you Steve, 

I still very much feel that I’m finding my way with these kits in regard of how they should look and keep experimenting with every new build to see if I can find the balance between visually appealing and realistic but I’m finding it difficult as there obviously isn’t any real world reference to use and these are 1/60 scale so when weathering I have tried to keep scale in mind but it’s very difficult for me as I’m used to working in larger scale so tend to overdo things a tad ( I built aircraft exclusively in 1/32 for a long time) but these kits are very enjoyable to do as although complex are very simple to put together, and after years of planes and filling and scribing the seam between fuselage halves they almost feel like Lego in comparison 😂

I hope your son likes them

Pete

Edited by Brundledonk
  • Like 1

On 2/14/2021 at 9:39 AM, Hunter Rose said:

That's is some top notch work! Look great, I especially like the heavy shading on the aile strike

Thank you Hunter,

the aile strike was a a joy and I felt it needed a bit of shading and weathering to try and bring out the lines of the suit, not sure I achieved the picture I had in my mind, but I am still very happy with how it came out in the end 

Pete

On 2/14/2021 at 12:26 PM, swralph said:

Excellent builds.😀

Thank you sir, much appreciated 

Pete

Edited by Brundledonk
  • Like 1

On 2/14/2021 at 5:01 PM, NoSG0 said:

Great work. 

I really like the picture of the mech sitting down.  Not a pose that I have seen before.  Reminds me of Thanos in endgame.  May as well sit while waiting.

Thank you,

the kit has a very cleverly designed mechanism that allows you to unlock the hips and swing them forward and this allows them to move in a way that that when seated gives a very natural looking pose ( it gives the gundam a bottom to sit on lol ) but I can’t take any credit for this pose as I saw it in a picture online I don’t have the builders name to be able to credit but imitation is the sincerest form of flattery so hopefully he won’t take it the wrong way if he sees my take on it 

Pete

On 2/18/2021 at 11:12 AM, Camo Viking said:

I'm not much of a Gundam fan as there are simply so many of them (and all virtually identical to my eyes), but your work makes me want to run out to buy one and build it up...

Excellent work - love the pics and dynamic poses of them.

I was very much of the same mind, and before I dipped my toes into the world of Gundam I just thought they were transformers lol, and thank you the kind words I very much appreciate them and honestly if you’ve not tried one before then have a go as they are a great way to reignite the old mojo if the flame goes out as they are so simple to do, just pick a design you like the look of and go to town with it using your own colours etc

Pete

18 hours ago, rockpopandchips said:

Oh yes they are really nice, big fan of Gundam models, anime and the manga. The Zaku is definitely my favourite of your PG's. 

Did you build the FB kit for the G03? 

Thank you Rock 🙏

I wasn’t a huge fan of the design but I got the zaku for a really cheap price and have to admit that know I’ve done one it’s really grown on me and I have my eye on a few other ones now (psycho zaku in particular) I’m sorry but I don’t really have any knowledge of the Gundam universe beyond the models, not sure what G03 Is 

Pete

1 hour ago, Brundledonk said:

not sure what G03 Is 

Sorry should be GP01 its the Gundam in the middle in your group shot. Or RX-78GP Fb Gundam GP 01. The PG comes with a cage type thing to put the FB or Full Burner add ons, onto. In the anime the GP01 starts off on earth as a standard looking Gundam but when it's goes up into space its not much use without the extra parts, the big thrusters on its back hips and lower legs I think. 

Anyway great looking kits and the physio Zaku is surposed to me a monster of a kit for a 1/100 scale, I can also recommend the 1/100  Sazabi ver K.a.

Cheers Brian. 

14 hours ago, rockpopandchips said:

Sorry should be GP01 its the Gundam in the middle in your group shot. Or RX-78GP Fb Gundam GP 01. The PG comes with a cage type thing to put the FB or Full Burner add ons, onto. In the anime the GP01 starts off on earth as a standard looking Gundam but when it's goes up into space its not much use without the extra parts, the big thrusters on its back hips and lower legs I think. 

Anyway great looking kits and the physio Zaku is surposed to me a monster of a kit for a 1/100 scale, I can also recommend the 1/100  Sazabi ver K.a.

Cheers Brian. 

I understand what you mean now Brian, I did paint all the parts for the ground type too but decided to display it in the FB mode as it just looks more impressive with the added bulk. I still have the cage to do but I’m planning to use it in a diorama of a hangar and hopefully I will get around to doing that sometime later this year, and I got the Sazabi ver ka for Christmas off my wife ( a very nice kit indeed) and this too will hopefully get done in the summer 

here’s the gp01 in ground type

Pete

49874869997_0e0a626f87_b.jpg

49874030003_d5757c7a2b_b.jpg

• Like 4

On 20/02/2021 at 02:51, Brundledonk said:

I was very much of the same mind, and before I dipped my toes into the world of Gundam I just thought they were transformers lol, and thank you the kind words I very much appreciate them and honestly if you’ve not tried one before then have a go as they are a great way to reignite the old mojo if the flame goes out as they are so simple to do, just pick a design you like the look of and go to town with it using your own colours etc

Pete

I agree with what you say about Bandai kits - I built their 1/12 scale 'DeathTrooper' from one of the recent Star Wars movies and it went together so easily and even without any paint it looks great.

I have some kits of Unit-02 from Evangelion in the stash. Maybe once I get the current project finished I can do one of them....

On 02/03/2021 at 05:41, busnproplinerfan said:

Interesting models. How would someone judge one in a contest? I had to before and they always look good.

One thing I think is important - if you're judging them critically - is the scale of weathering and damage/chipping. For example a Sazabi is around 25m in height so a scratch, a hand with in size would actually be tiny on the model, but pretty big on a 1:35 tank.

Michael Rinaldi has a book on that kit with some interesting thoughts and techniques on the subject and seeing a kit weathered to scale does look significantly different - I think. :)