Jump to content

Anyone Fancy A Schwimm??? 1/35 Tamiya Schwimmwagen


Recommended Posts

Ooh - nice choices!!

 

Of the two I imagine the tamiya M3 would be the easier build, although I am very partial to the Humber myself

 

All the best

Ben

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, BIG X said:

As Jack Warner would say (showing my age) Evening All...

 

OK as this project nears it's end - here are a couple of candidates for the next one...

 

SCH045.jpg

Aye up Steve,

 

For a totally stress free build i'd go for the Tamiya M3A1. Build one a bit back and its a real beauty 👍 Funnily enough i've also got the Bronco Humber in the stash too. A nice kit but a bit 'fiddly' looking. Whichever one you go for i'm looking forward to following the build.

 

Regards,

 

Steve

 

Edited by fatfingers
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, badger said:

Ooh - nice choices!!

 

Of the two I imagine the tamiya M3 would be the easier build, although I am very partial to the Humber myself

 

All the best

Ben

 

47 minutes ago, fatfingers said:

Aye up Steve,

 

For a totally stress free build i'd go for the Tamiya M3A1. Build one a bit back and its a real beauty 👍 Funnily enough i've also got the Bronco Humber in the stash too. A nice kit but a bit 'fiddly' looking. Whichever one you go for i'm looking forward to following the build.

 

Regards,

 

Steve

 

 

Thanks guys - I think you may be both be right with the Tamiya - I remember watching yours @fatfingers Steve.

 

These are the "real pictures" for it - featuring Major Pip Roberts...

 

1942-BAIV-M3-A1-4-x-4-White-Scout-Car-12

 

The-British-Army-in-the-Normandy-Campaig

 

I already have the right decals for it - courtesy of Star Decals.

 

The photo for the Bronco is this though....

 

11tha.jpg

 

...it does look good...

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the Humber. Not too much bigger than the schwimwagen. And you get a crewset. Then work your way up to the M3.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/22/2021 at 7:05 PM, BIG X said:

Gear stick & 2 dashboard decals too...

SCH032.jpg

 

I think we are nearly there now...

 

Thanks for popping in again & happy Monday - Steve

Top smart. Love the wooden floor and the rest is very nice too. Your Hussars are obviously a lot more conscientious than my Polish boys, my Schwimmy has markings pretty much at random and sod the rule book :D 

 

Andy

  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

 I vote the Humber as well, for one simple reason, look at those rear view mirrors!!  SHINY!! SHINY!!, you can't resist the SHINY SHINY :frantic:

 

  Matt

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Foxbat said:

Top smart. Love the wooden floor and the rest is very nice too. Your Hussars are obviously a lot more conscientious than my Polish boys, my Schwimmy has markings pretty much at random and sod the rule book :D 

 

Andy

let's see a picture :)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just found the build thread and it was the Kubel that was the bigger culprit. I did a penny shot with them both for you right at the end :D

 

They were a bit of fun right at the start of lockdown 1 and are a bit of a mess, but they kept me sane (for values of sane obviously)

 

Polish pair

 

Note the Kubel has the PL plate on the front instead of the rear, the stars are only roughly star shaped and the division/arm of service markings are on the wrong side, where they exist at all. Nice  big 'Poland' though, for anyone who hadn't already guessed.

 

Andy

Edited by Foxbat
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I WAS uncertain - but now I'm not sure & ultimately undecided :whistle:

 

:lol:  we have a few days yet & I could swing in either direction (push over) I think I'll sleep on it :sleep_1:

 

Though I am edging towards the Tamiya (coward) rather than the Bronco (fool hardy) - feel free to push me - I'm easily led :blush:

 

Steve

  • Haha 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Foxbat said:

Just found the build thread and it was the Kubel that was the bigger culprit. I did a penny shot with them both for you right at the end :D

 

They were a bit of fun right at the start of lockdown 1 and are a bit of a mess, but they kept me sane (for values of sane obviously)

 

Polish pair

 

Note the Kubel has the PL plate on the front instead of the rear, the stars are only roughly star shaped and the division/arm of service markings are on the wrong side, where they exist at all. Nice  big 'Poland' though, for anyone who hadn't already guessed.

 

Andy

 

WOW - I've just spent a very happy 10 minutes or so viewing a thread I completely missed...

 

That is amazing work Andy :clap2:

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I would go M3.... It's a tamiya kit so nice build. 

 

Either one sounds a good build 😀

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Love what you've done with the Schwimmwagen.

Personally I would like to see the Humber as you don't see many of those built

 

   Stay safe       Roger

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Geo1966 said:

Heres my attempt at the Bronco Humber:

 

resized_13a3719c-1768-4179-8637-bb281c56

 

George

Hi George - that's very nice work.  Did you do a WIP thread I could crib a few tips from - Steve

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 19/02/2021 at 23:30, BIG X said:

Wing mirrors are very fraught - as are gear sticks & hand brakes.  I've been working on the one mirror tonight - so I might as well share it now...

 

I've started using pins as wing mirror arms - with the mirror bit tucked on the end - here is the first coat with one of those chrome pens...

 

SCH021.jpg

 

....then the next....

 

SCH022.jpg

 

It does take days to dry out properly - but the effect shows here....

 

SCH023.jpg

 

...SHINY - OR WITH A LIGHT ON  IT.....

 

SCH024.jpg

 

SHINY SHINY!!!!

 

Small things can make you smile - Steve :clap2:

👍This is why Dak soldiers removed the mirror from their vehicles! 😉

Ciao

Filippo

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Phil1960 said:

👍This is why Dak soldiers removed the mirror from their vehicles! 😉

Ciao

Filippo

Argh... Das Afrika Korps...  According to the "conflicting" evidence - the Schwimm was actually captured from the Hitler Jungden - 12 rather than 21 SS PD - which makes more sense. The DAK may have had too much sand in their shoes in Normandy.  So - if we go with the theory that the Jungend were handsome young lads - then they would no doubt appreciate a mirror to comb their beautiful blonde Arian locks in.  Pity they lost their ride...

 

Remember - this is a bit of fun mate ;)

  • Like 1
  • Haha 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Morning Big X, with regard to the Bronco Humber there is no WIP i'm afraid. I do remember fitting the wheels being a nightmare. There is hardly anything to fix them to the axle. Also for the size of the kit it is quite expensive, so go for one of the ones with figures included. It has a full interior and engine, but nothing can be seen, so a fair few bits went in the spares box.

 

George

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Geo1966 said:

Morning Big X, with regard to the Bronco Humber there is no WIP i'm afraid. I do remember fitting the wheels being a nightmare. There is hardly anything to fix them to the axle. Also for the size of the kit it is quite expensive, so go for one of the ones with figures included. It has a full interior and engine, but nothing can be seen, so a fair few bits went in the spares box.

 

George

Morning George.  Thanks for the "heads up" - I had heard / read somewhere that the front wheels & axel were a bit "challenging" & fragile.  I'm forever snapping bits off models & trying to fix my errors with metal pins - so I'll be ready for that DOH moment :doh:

 

I already have the kit in the stash & it comes with figures.  The box shows a very dashing looking Michael Caine figure - but none of the figures look anything like him :shrug: and even if they did - by the time I'd finished with him he certainly would be unrecognisable :lol:

 

I won't be bothering with the engine or interior - as I would just get bogged down & lose interest.  I'll do it "buttoned up" to speed things up I think.

 

We shall see - I still need to finish the Schwimm first though.

 

Thanks again - Steve

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...