Anyone Fancy A Schwimm??? 1/35 Tamiya Schwimmwagen

BIG X

22 hours ago, fatfingers said:

Brilliant 👍

Regards,

Steve

17 hours ago, Cerberus said:

My childish little mind wanted to run with this gem of a quote, lol, but for fear of getting banned before I've even been on the site 5 mins, I shall refrain ;)

Keep up the good work.

Matt

10 hours ago, Hamden said:

This has really come together now and will great along side your Kubel.

Great idea and stunning result 

Stay safe       Roger

9 hours ago, keefr22 said:

That looks tremendous, really do like that! 👍

Keith

Thank you gentlemen - I'm enjoying this one.  The support is always welcome when the mojo has been so low for such a long time.

:clap2: Steve

• Like 1

If you have time here is a quick catch up on last night's progress...

SCH033.jpg

...first off I got the cross member for the chassis in place - which would have stopped me getting the internal tub installed - you can see it here - it's the out of focus bar :doh::lol::blush::whistle:

Next up I got the soft top sorted with it's hinges...

SCH034.jpg

Then got it in place....

SCH035.jpg

along with the exhaust - that is mounted on the top of the back of the chassis - to keep it right out of the water.

• Like 9

This is an awesome build, actually making me want to do some captured German kit..... Maybe lol

The Kubelwagon and schwimwagon are nice kits.... Need to be added to the stash! 

• Thanks 1

So - I got the steering wheel in & the propeller unit on too - along with a machine gun mount & the wing mirror too...

SCH036.jpg

SCH037.jpg

SCH038.jpg

SCH039.jpg

SCH041.jpg

...so everything WAS looking fine until I realised I have mounted the propeller on the wrong way up...

When it is down the 3 part connector should be on the inside...

SCH040.jpg

DOH!!!

As you can see it does move up & down - so I need to see if I can "ping" it & install it the correct way up - happy days eh Steve :lol:

• Like 7
  • Sad 2

9 minutes ago, WYATT said:

This is an awesome build, actually making me want to do some captured German kit..... Maybe lol

The Kubelwagon and schwimwagon are nice kits.... Need to be added to the stash! 

Hey Wyatt - I'm glad you popped by & even more pleased that you are enjoying the fun.  It's not exactly a "work of art" - but it is turning into a bit of "different" project - now if I can only fix that propeller without wrecking it then we will both be winning.

Where did I put those really grippy tweezers :doh: Steve

• Like 1

This is looking great mate - hope you manage to fix the propeller. 

Any thoughts on a figure or two to go with it? I could possibly have a suitable candidate if you are stuck?

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, badger said:

This is looking great mate - hope you manage to fix the propeller. 

Any thoughts on a figure or two to go with it? I could possibly have a suitable candidate if you are stuck?

Hey ben,

I'll bet our going to be even busier in the next couple of weeks - with the news about schools - so I'll be routing for you as always.  I have had a rummage through my figure candidates & can't find anyone like these 2 guys...

Men-of-23rd-Hussars-11th-Armoured-Divisi

...so if you have any ideas - they would be welcomed.

Stay safe & strong - teachers - we luv 'em - Steve

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BIG X said:

Hey ben,

I'll bet our going to be even busier in the next couple of weeks - with the news about schools - so I'll be routing for you as always.  I have had a rummage through my figure candidates & can't find anyone like these 2 guys...

...so if you have any ideas - they would be welcomed.

Stay safe & strong - teachers - we luv 'em - Steve

Hi Steve

May sound weird but I'm actually quite looking forward to getting back into the college. Teaching online is getting a bit tedious now as I feel like I'm just talking to a computer all day and miss the interaction with the students.

May even save me some time as it's quite a bit of work to adapt everything for online, whereas in the classroom I have everything ready and can just pick it up and go. I've definitely felt like I've been busier since we went into lockdown. 

Anyhoo - onto your figures. I have three crew figures from these spare if it would help?

https://images.app.goo.gl/rf9v58xFtdLVgARj7

The two chaps in your photo have black berets indicating an armoured regiment and the 51 on the schwimmwagen is the AOS for 23rd Hussars so these would be ideal in terms of uniform, if the poses would work?

All the best

Ben

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, badger said:

Hi Steve

May sound weird but I'm actually quite looking forward to getting back into the college. Teaching online is getting a bit tedious now as I feel like I'm just talking to a computer all day and miss the interaction with the students.

May even save me some time as it's quite a bit of work to adapt everything for online, whereas in the classroom I have everything ready and can just pick it up and go. I've definitely felt like I've been busier since we went into lockdown. 

Anyhoo - onto your figures. I have three crew figures from these spare if it would help?

https://images.app.goo.gl/rf9v58xFtdLVgARj7

The two chaps in your photo have black berets indicating an armoured regiment and the 51 on the schwimmwagen is the AOS for 23rd Hussars so these would be ideal in terms of uniform, if the poses would work?

All the best

Ben

It is weird indeed - I have been furloughing staff left right & centre for months.  The idea being to keep the company going & save their jobs for the long term.  I have to say I think I've been doing pretty well - we are looking in good shape & the customers that are still trading think we are doing an amazing job.  The staff - though - that's another matter - they simply don't see the bigger picture.

You need them to come in - they are doing a DIY project....

You need them to stay home - they live on their own & they are bored rigid...

I try to keep everyone happy & end up with no one happy...

I'm driving myself round the bend trying to save their careers - whilst I've had 5 days off in 18 months - WHO WANTS TO BE THE BOSS ???

But anyway - I'm not going to let it spoil my day - I'm in a good place at the moment :)

So - do we think these guys can help out...

35-tamiya-british-churchill-mk-vii-1-a9a

I'm pretty sure I could come up with a good back story to fit them in - the 'driver' could be the guy in the back of the wagen & the 'commander' on the right looks like his buddy.

• Like 6

7 hours ago, BIG X said:

I have to say I think I've been doing pretty well - we are looking in good shape & the customers that are still trading think we are doing an amazing job.  

I'm driving myself round the bend trying to save their careers - whilst I've had 5 days off in 18 months - WHO WANTS TO BE THE BOSS ???

35-tamiya-british-churchill-mk-vii-1-a9a

I'm pretty sure I could come up with a good back story to fit them in - the 'driver' could be the guy in the back of the wagen & the 'commander' on the right looks like his buddy.

Sounds like you've been having a tough old time of it trying to do the best by everyone. Hopefully better days are not too far away - fingers crossed!

As for the figures I'll get them in the post to you later today as I've got a parcel to take to the post office already.

Keep up the good work

Ben

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Vaastav said:

Wow mate, it's miles ahead of what I did. Excellent work

You are too kind sir :blush:

14 hours ago, Cerberus said:

Have the 'commander' looking at the upside down star with a puzzled expression on his face... 🤔

Matt

LOL!!! :lol:

11 hours ago, badger said:

Sounds like you've been having a tough old time of it trying to do the best by everyone. Hopefully better days are not too far away - fingers crossed!

As for the figures I'll get them in the post to you later today as I've got a parcel to take to the post office already.

Keep up the good work

Ben

Cheers Ben - got your PM - U R A 

• Thanks 2

Good evening folks - just a small update on my propeller error...

With a deep breath & a pair of really strong tweezers I managed to "squeeze" the prop hinge (without breaking it) to release the prop & then 'ping' it back in the right way round - PHEW!!!!

This is the up position & you can now see where the clutch type thingies come together...

SCH042.jpg

...and here is the down position...

SCH043.jpg

Job done - time for a glass of wine

I'm going to check if anything else needs doing - but I think we are close to a bit of "slight weathering" & we may be nearly done.

Thanks for checking in on my "remedial" action  -Steve

• Like 12

Good job with the prop and it really is looking fabulous.

Mate, you deserve a good long lie down. Here's hoping that it will be soon.

The main thing is to keep the company alive, until something approaching normality arrives.

Maybe yet another email to the staff to that effect would shut them up, It's this or nothing to come back to. 

Everyone where I work was united in that thought when we packed it in. Long live the company and the future!

• Like 2

This tune has been running round in my head all day...

...for those of us "of a certain age" - this will bring back fond memories.

I wonder if they offered Schwimmwagens ??? :lol: :mental:

• Haha 6

48 minutes ago, BIG X said:

This tune has been running round in my head all day...

...for those of us "of a certain age" - this will bring back fond memories.

I wonder if they offered Schwimmwagens ??? :lol: :mental:

From.only £19 per person per week.... where do i book??? 

Regards,

Steve

• Haha 2

As Jack Warner would say (showing my age) Evening All...

OK as this project nears it's end - here are a couple of candidates for the next one...

SCH045.jpg

I'm starting my 11th Armoured "fleet" with the captured Schwimmwagen" - but have plans for more.  I have "real photos" for these 2 - so the question is - which one next.

Any ideas - suggestions / tips / warnings are most appreciated.

Happy Thursday - Steve

• Like 5