Anyone Fancy A Schwimm??? 1/35 Tamiya Schwimmwagen

BIG X

1 hour ago, Foxbat said:

Since I was one of the eejits that prodded you into this it would be wrong if I didn't follow :)

I seem to remember (so it's probably not true) that the upside down star was a trend started by the Canadians, so that tecnically they had the universal allied marking but no one would mistake them for Americans. This article mostly agrees: US Star Markings

Andy

I seem to remember someone telling me that too - it might even have been you :lol:

I believe the Canadians also used a maple leaf at times - as it looks like a five pointed star - but showed they were their own men.  🇨🇦

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

OOH - this is already turning into one of those builds where you can't put things down - I was tidying up a few parts & all of a sudden I had the propeller mechanism glued together...

SCH008.jpg 

I'm not supposed to be starting this until I've dragged the Kubelwagen over the line - I'll try to behave myself - I promise :whistle:

Steve

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

With the Kubelwagen finally finished I can crack on with the captured Schwimmwagen.  The seats look much more "sporty" than the Kubel...

SCH009.jpg

...so I'm going with the black PVC type finish - I suppose it makes sense if they stood the chance of getting wet often...

s-eats.jpg

• Like 6

With the Schwimm being a little like a floating bath tub the interior section "drops in" separately...

SCH010.jpg

...which should make painting the wooden base slats easier than it was on the Kubel. 

• Like 5

I have just got the front axle together - which will need painting before going on to the base...

SCH011.jpg

and I've bit the bullet & stuck the top & bottom halves together - after making sure the interior will fit through the gap at the top - which it does...

SCH012.jpg

The rear axles are in place too and if you are wondering about the white filler towards the top rear...

SCH015.jpg

this is where that fine black nylon mesh is supposed to go - but I can't be bothered phaffing with it - it's only a bit of fun after all.

The dash looks good though...

SCH013.jpg

I'm hoping to get some priming done tonight & start painting a few bits - before the wine takes effect :)

Happy weekend all - Steve

• Like 8

1 hour ago, nimrod54 said:

Cool, a Schwimmwagen with Recaro seats. :coolio: :winkgrin:

If only I knew what Recaro seats were - should I be fitting them in my knackered old Volvo ??? :shrug:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, BIG X said:

If only I knew what Recaro seats were - should I be fitting them in my knackered old Volvo ??? :shrug:

They are often fitted in rally and sports cars Steve.  The company also manufacture passenger seats for some aircraft and you may have unknowingly sat in one. As to whether you should fit them to your Volvo would depend on its value, the seats could be worth more than the car. :winkgrin:

A typical Recaro car seat

50960355927_109db59075_o.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

It's been a busy evening & this is progressing like the "old days" - ooh it's good to be back.   Priming done & a few bits taken to the next level....

SCH016.jpg

soft top wrap/ exhaust / hinges / wing mirror arm / propeller housing / steering wheel / front axel / hook thingy for pulling the prop out of the water....

we could be done by Sunday - famous last words eh :whistle: Steve

• Like 7

53 minutes ago, nimrod54 said:

They are often fitted in rally and sports cars Steve.  The company also manufacture passenger seats for some aircraft and you may have unknowingly sat in one. As to whether you should fit them to your Volvo would depend on its value, the seats could be worth more than the car. :winkgrin:

A typical Recaro car seat

50960355927_109db59075_o.jpg

I did a "we buy any car" search thingy on it (it's a company car) - but I have to pay the soddin tax to drive it - it's worth about a grand - but I'm paying twice that a year in company car tax - I need a bike :lol: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Making great progress there Steve. Keep checking your photos though. I knocked one of the wing mirrors off mine then checked a photo and found the real one was missing both 😄

Andy

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Foxbat said:

Making great progress there Steve. Keep checking your photos though. I knocked one of the wing mirrors off mine then checked a photo and found the real one was missing both 😄

Andy

Wing mirrors are very fraught - as are gear sticks & hand brakes.  I've been working on the one mirror tonight - so I might as well share it now...

I've started using pins as wing mirror arms - with the mirror bit tucked on the end - here is the first coat with one of those chrome pens...

SCH021.jpg

....then the next....

SCH022.jpg

It does take days to dry out properly - but the effect shows here....

SCH023.jpg

...SHINY - OR WITH A LIGHT ON  IT.....

SCH024.jpg

SHINY SHINY!!!!

Small things can make you smile - Steve :clap2:

• Like 6
  • Haha 4

Great progress mate and I really like the mirror effect. Will have to remember that one as have one of those chrome pens in for a vintage car I'm building for my dad.

All the best

Ben

• Like 1

Saturday was a VERY BUSY day - I got my vaccine shot - but I also got loads done on the Schwimmwagen.

My shot wasn't until 2:30pm - but I was up early - in anticipation of the big day - so I got to work on some of the big jobs.  I got the tyres / internal tub / outer chassis all painted...

SCH017.jpg

SCH018.jpg

SCH019.jpg

SCH020.jpg

As you can see I've gone for SCC15 - as I'm guessing the boys of the Hussars gave her a complete paint job.

• Like 8

A gloss coat is now drying & I've been fishing round for suitable decals....

As per the original photo of "the real thing"...

Men-of-23rd-Hussars-11th-Armoured-Divisi

I've found a couple of red 51's for the 23rd Hussars / a circled star for the bonnet / 4 bulls for the front/back/sides & finally a couple of upside down stars for the sides.

SCH025.jpg

I'm just waiting for the gloss coat to dry properly first - so these may have to wait until tomorrow.

hurry up & wait as they say - Steve

• Like 8

1 hour ago, BIG X said:

finally a couple of upside down stars for the sides.

Put the stars on the right way up, then everyone can complain that they are the wrong way up, when in fact they are the right way up,...just...they...put...them...on...the, wrong way up.... :thumbsup:

• Haha 4

Great progress Steve and looks very different in SCC15.

Good news about your vaccination as well. Hope they gave you a sticker and a lollipop?

All the best

Ben 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Cerberus said:

they are the wrong way up, when in fact they are the right way up,...just...they...put...them...on...the, wrong way up.... :thumbsup:

That sounds just like something Sir Humphrey Appleby would say to confuse the minister! 

Great work with the Schwimmy Steve 👍

Regards,

Steve

• Like 2

On 21/02/2021 at 15:49, Pete in Lincs said:

Millions of likes from me, Steve. Nicely done.

You are too kind Pete :blush:

On 21/02/2021 at 16:28, Cerberus said:

Put the stars on the right way up, then everyone can complain that they are the wrong way up, when in fact they are the right way up,...just...they...put...them...on...the, wrong way up.... :thumbsup:

Hey Cerberus - That is a really good idea - but I think I'm in enough trouble as it is :lol:

20 hours ago, badger said:

Great progress Steve and looks very different in SCC15.

Good news about your vaccination as well. Hope they gave you a sticker and a lollipop?

All the best

Ben 

Hi Ben - Well I have about a gallon of SCC15 - so I might as well set about using it ;)  I think it does look cool though.

19 hours ago, fatfingers said:

That sounds just like something Sir Humphrey Appleby would say to confuse the minister! 

Great work with the Schwimmy Steve 👍

Regards,

Steve

Hey - Steve - thanks - Steve

• Like 2

I got home early tonight & I've slapped on the 'stickers' - though they are still settling down'...

SCH027.jpg

SCH028.jpg

SCH029.jpg

I've got the gear stick in too - but I still need to decal the dash (2 decals) - I'll bet it get's in my way :doh:

Steve

• Like 9

Gear stick & 2 dashboard decals too...

SCH030.jpg

SCH031.jpg

SCH032.jpg

I think we are nearly there now...

Thanks for popping in again & happy Monday - Steve

• Like 10

6 hours ago, BIG X said:

I've got the gear stick in too

My childish little mind wanted to run with this gem of a quote, lol, but for fear of getting banned before I've even been on the site 5 mins, I shall refrain ;)

Keep up the good work.

Matt

• Haha 2