1/6 scale walking dead Negan headsculpt

Brundledonk

Back again with another head paint and this one will be a companion piece to the Rick grimes I painted a while back

here’s the little  the little fella out of the packet and after a bit of a dunk in some soupy water to remove any traces of mould release that may be present 

likeness of Jeffrey Dean Morgan is definitely in there but paint hopefully bring it out a bit more 

1/6 scale Negan head paint

Edited by Brundledonk
  • Like 4

First step is to add a skin tone base and for this I mixed my own from mr hobby acrylics really highly thinned with lacquer to keep some translucency and sprayed at low pressure directly over the head with no primer 

I tend to use the skin on the Mack of my hand as a guide to get the tone right but it’s hard to tell how light or dark it’s going to be without the hair, so I roughly blocked that in along with with Vallejo black brown along with the whites of his eyes in Vallejo ivory to give me an idea of how it was looking 

• Like 4

I gave the head a couple of thin coats of Tamiya lacquer Matt clear through the airbrush to seal the base colour and this allows any mistakes from the next stages to be easily erased with a cotton bud dipped in acrylic thinner without effecting the skin 

I use Vallejo washes for this part ( skin wash/ sepia, Umber and red) applied with a fine brush to the creases in the face to add spots and blemishes to the skin and around the eyes 

Edited by Brundledonk
  • Like 5

Bit of a jump here as when I’m painting these heads I get right into the zone and forget to take pictures, so this is now the finished result but I’ll do my best to explain what I did to get here 

the bottom edge of the eyelid had a black line painted on it to mimic lashes and I also added a tiny bit of red wash to the corners of the eyes and along the bottom edge. I didn’t paint eyelashes on there as frankly I’m parts at it (haha!) I find I get one eye looking good but then the other ends up looking like Bet Lynch ( if you’re young then ask your parents who that is lol

Pupils were added and for this I used archer decals then gave the whole eye a good few coats of clear gloss after the final Matt coat was sprayed on

the beard was done with really thin dark grey acrylic and built up slowly over multiple coats then light grey dry brushed gently over, the moustache was done in a similar way but using a mix leaning toward black and the same was done on the eyebrows but in all honesty I’m not happy with how they came out but there wasn’t much in the way of sculpted detail on the brows so I feel it has a bit of a ‘greasepaint’ look, but in hand and to the naked eye it looks ok it’s just the close up pics that make it look worse 

I also added a few more imperfections here and there to the skin using my old faithful Vallejo washes and just kind of added tiny dots using a really fine pointed brush and then dabbing them with my finger to soften the look and I used a tiny bit of white on the bottom lip to highlight 
hair was given another coat of Vallejo black brown and had the hairlines tidied up, and at the roots at the forehead I really lightly dry brushed a touch of the skin colour to soften the transition 

Edited by Brundledonk
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...