Westland Wessex HU.5, Falklands '82, 1/72 Italeri

Another one for my Falklands War collection - 1/72 Westland Wessex HU.5, XS486, 848. Naval Air Squadron, Flight A, RFA Regent,Operation Corporate, May-June 1982 r. Italeri kit + PE parts from Eduard.

Wessex XS486 (produced 1964, serial WA160) served in the Falklands as a machine to transport equipment and people between ships and units on the islands. After the end of the war in June 1982, it took part in Operation Keyhole (aboard HMS Endurance), the purpose of which was to retake of the South Sandwich and South Georgia islands. Most of the XS486's fuselage has survived to this day and is awaiting renovation in the back of The Helicopter Museum in Weston-super-Mare.

The camouflage from the Falklands war period is not very interesting - almost all the original white inscriptions, emblems etc. were overpainted olive green or black to minimize the visibility of the helicopter. So it's like Shrek - ugly and green... :giggle:  On the other hand it`s W O W (so it is written on both sides of the fuselage in capital letters)... :coolio:

Italeri kit itself is simplified, has some flaws and issues, but it was quite pleasant to build. I'm just glad it joined my collection.

Work in progress (in Polish) here:

https://www.pwm.org.pl/viewtopic.php?f=884&t=90571

And now some pictures:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thanks for watching!

• Like 61
  • Thanks 1

Thank you, guys! :cheers:

On 13/02/2021 at 18:20, Booty003 said:

Do you have any more photos of your Falklands War collection - would be good to see.

No problem for me! Here they are:

A-4C Skyhawk, 1/72 Fujimi

spacer.png

Harrier GR.3, 1/72 Italeri

spacer.png

Super Etendard, 1/72 Academy

spacer.png

Wessex HAS.3, 1/72 Italeri

spacer.png

T-34C Turbo Mentor, 1/72 Sword

spacer.png

A-4Q Skyhawk, 1/72 Airfix

spacer.png

Sea Harrier FRS.1, 1/72 Italeri

spacer.png

IA 58 Pucara, 1/72 Special Hobby

spacer.png

A-4P Skyhawk, 1/72 Airfix

spacer.png

Sea Harrier FRS.1, 1/72 Airfix

spacer.png

Wessex HU.5 is number 11. in my "Faklands War collection", but in fact I have 2 more "Falklands birds" completed, but they are "after war":

Phantom FGR.2 from RAF Port Stanley, 1/72 Fujimi

spacer.png

Tornado F.3 of 1435. Flight, RAF Mt. Pleasant, 1/72 Italeri

spacer.png

Few more kits in progress (now Modelsvit`s new Mirage IIIEA is on the bench), and a lot, lot, lot more in stash... 😉

• Like 5