Tamiya's 1/24 McLaren Senna

Tyas

Since the day one McLaren announced Senna to the public, back in late 2017, I immediately know I want one. Sure, it is nothing like a beautifully sculpted design like P1 on 675LT, instead looking more like it was designed with pickax, but the fact that it pretty much obliterate all other road cars on track is enough to make me want one badly. Even better, there was a rumour that at least 4 or 5 Sennas are coming to Indonesia. Thanks to the murderous tax here, though, all the owners I knew who ordered one decided to keep their car in Singapore, bar one unit in basic spec. And it's not like I can spend north of GBP2.5 million to import one here.

When Tamiya suddenly announced that they're going to release the kit of McLaren Senna, I decided I have to get one immediately. Took me almost 2 months in waiting, but in the end I managed to snatch the last available stock before scalpers snatched the rest and sold it at exorbitant price. It is, in short, an amazing kit. The fit is second to none, even though it is very complex and not exactly easy to build. I pondered for about 2 days as to how to start building it, but in the end it took me about 36 working hours to finish it. The trouble did not come from the kit but from both my own cack-handedness and from tools that refuses to work, like accidentally wiping the glazed door upper panel with wrong thinner, causing it to craze and forcing me to polish it and paint it with dark tint (which is fortunately something I observed was right in cars like 720S and 765LT), and that moment when my old cheap airbrush decided it does not want to work anymore after 5 years. Once it's all done, though, I couldn't be happier.

The spec? Well, my dream spec is inspired by the MCL35 F1 car from last year, the car that brought McLaren back to podiums after God-knows-how-many-agonizing-years of being embarrassed as a McLaren fan. It is in Papaya Spark with Cerulean Blue accent packs and blue-tinted carbon parts. I planned on using carbon decals, until I found out how almost impossible it is to source one here. Out goes carbon decal with clear blue coat and in comes Blue FS15050 of Blue Angels fame. The Papaya Spark is replicated by Mr Color Orange Yellow with Clear Orange top coat, while Cerulean Blue is done by Clear Blue topcoat over Silver. The end result is one of my best result yet. 10/10 will buy again and will build again when stock appears.
 spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

IMG-1649.jpg

IMG-1659.jpg

IMG-1669.jpg

Hope you guys like it, I know improvement is still pretty much necessary so I hope I will get another chance with this kit.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Can't say I like the car, but that is an absolutely stunning model!

Superb work - excellent photos too!

Keith

Thanks, it really helps learning from doing photoshoots with real cars. Kinda hard doing it in lowlight, though 😅😅

• Like 1