Hart Swedish-style - 1/72 AZmodel

Howard Hughes had to wait many weeks for the clouds to appear while filming Hell’s Angels. It took only two for the sun to appear for me, but finally, here she is, completed, Hawker Hart B4A , s/n 708, F4-58, Wing F4, Östersund 1938.  I was hoping for snowy background, you know, Sweden somehow evokes snowy landscape, and eventually Mother Nature was merciful to me, well except the -11°C.

The build thread is here:

The result is genuine triumph of multimediality. The main parts are from the AZmodel kit, meaning basic parts from styrene, resin engine and wheels and some PE details. Then resin upper wing, fin and rudder by Kora, Eduard steel seat belts, various struts and exhaust pipes from copper and brass wire and various interior and exterior details from diverse spare box material or scratchbuilt. Moreover, I must not forget the rear gun, which is a special combination of Aeroclub white metal body, Mini World barrel and PE details from the AZ fret.

Brush painted with Humbrol, Model Master and Revell enamels. Decals - surplus from the excellent SBS Model J8/J8A Gladiator sheet. I say it again – the best decals I have ever worked with. I dare say that even the strongest antagonists of silver wings will have to confess she looks very elegant with the Tre Cronor over the Silver Dope.

Enjoyed the build a lot. The kit was not exactly easy, but the outcome is worth all the efforts. As usual – no rigging.

20210213-DSC-1261.jpg

20210213-DSC-1260.jpg

20210213-DSC-1258.jpg

20210213-DSC-0261.jpg

20210213-DSC-0260.jpg

• Like 26

Well this looks nothing short of absolutely amazing! I've been considering the AZ kit for quite some time but don't have the confidence to deal with the butt fit of the lower wings. Might I ask, was there something wrong with the kits top wing that led to it's replacement with the resin part? Or does the resin part simply look better?

39 minutes ago, Tweener said:

Well this looks nothing short of absolutely amazing! I've been considering the AZ kit for quite some time but don't have the confidence to deal with the butt fit of the lower wings. Might I ask, was there something wrong with the kits top wing that led to it's replacement with the resin part? Or does the resin part simply look better?

Thanks a lot to all of you!

Re upper wing - yes, it is wrong, you can have a look at the first post in the build thread. The link is here at the top.

And I can confirm, the lower wing attachment was one of the ugliest parts of the build (together with engine and the interplane struts). In general, there are shortruns that look nice in the box and build just as fine (like the Kora Fairey IIIF, I am building now), and there are others, that may look nice in the box, but the look is rather misleading. The AZ kit is exactly the latter sort.

Edited by Patrik
  • Like 1