Honda Prelude by Fnick - Aoshima 1:24

Fnick

Well in the end I went with Andy's suggestion. Worked well as you can adjust the letters and even remove them as they are vinyl and not decals. That will be very handy when doing the rear number plate as I can see that being a bit more fiddly. Here's what the front one looks like.

spacer.png

Just held on by blue tak at the mo. Still needs a bit of work but at least the letters fit! 😀

Cheers, Nick

• Like 8

Looks tidy Nick! Think I'll have to get some of the ones Andy linked to as I do find the waterslides can be a bit fiddly - but that's likely to be more due to my clumsy fungers!

Keith

• Thanks 1

Morning all

Thanks for the comments and hearts! 😍😄.

After waiting one week for the paint to dry I applied two mist coats and two wet coats of clear. After first mist coat a piece of fibre or hair got stuck to the side...😟😠. Managed to remove it whilst the clear was still wet but it still left a trace. Tried to cover it up with some paint but you can still see it a bit. Also in a couple of places it appears that the clear had reacted with the paint (which of course it didn't the first time around...). Here's how it looks.

spacer.png

Have to admit I'm going to leave things as they are. Can't face redoing the body a third time...

Next step is to finish polishing the windscreen (can't get away from doing that either on this build! 😄) And make some masks to paint the surrounds black.

Thanks for looking,

Nick

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

When things have decided to go wrong, they go wrong through thick and thin...I do feel what you probably feel, because I've experimented this kind of misadventures such numerous times, particularly with my Talbot Lago.

It comes a time where you must resign yourself against bad luck, and accept, either doing with, or fighting again.

Don't forget that no-one will take a magnifying glass to inspect your work in depth.

Friendly

CC

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, CrazyCrank said:

When things have decided to go wrong, they go wrong through thick and thin...I do feel what you probably feel, because I've experimented this kind of misadventures such numerous times, particularly with my Talbot Lago.

It comes a time where you must resign yourself against bad luck, and accept, either doing with, or fighting again.

Don't forget that no-one will take a magnifying glass to inspect your work in depth.

Friendly

CC

Very well put CC, and I think car modellers may tend to feel these problems more as we try for that 'perfect' paint and clear finish! :)

Keith

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Evening all

So back to having the body clear coated, sanded and polished. I used some micro mesh 6, 8, and 12K. Really impressed with the stuff!

Next step is to (re...)do all the window surrounds,etc

spacer.png

Thanks fo looking, Nick

• Like 7

That finish is looking good (in the photos at least) and I for one can't see where the rogue hair made its appearance. The micromesh is very good for getting rid of those small imperfections and as you can see it will give a good shiny finish. Whether you want to make the shine deeper with polishing compounds is your choice - it could stand as it is perfectly well.

• Thanks 1

Thanks a lot Spiny! Oh yeah forgot to say that I also used the Tamiya compounds after sanding too!😄 

A couple of rough spots remain but I was far more careful with sanding so although the paint job is not as good as the first the clear sanding/polishing is so I'm still pleased with it. At least I didn't burn through the paint this time...🙄

44 minutes ago, Spiny said:

I for one can't see where the rogue hair made its appearance

Well I did say I was going to display it on the good side!😄 Ok just for you here's the other.

spacer.png

Bottom of the door panel towards the front is where the hair was...

Nick

• Like 9

Well that took a while...

spacer.png

This time around I remembered to mask off the lights and indicators as they also need to be painted black as well as the trim. Starting to see the finish line...

Thanks for looking, Nick

• Like 7

Always a pain masking window seals etc. (although not as bad as the XJS bumpers!), but the end result makes it worthwhile.

Incidentally, you may have been able to save some time on the front indicators which are small enough that if you have a steady hand you can get away without the tape as there isn't a long straight line, but I if you're not confident in being able to do that masking is the right way to go.

• Like 2

Probably could have given the indicators a go freehand but preferred to play it safe. And to be honest masking them didn't take too long. The trim around the sun roof on the other hand...

Trim painted. Lights chromed. Unfortunately a few places had paint bleed through... Hoping to be able to use acrylic thinner to clean it off unless anyone has a better suggestion?

Here's the results.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Next step after cleanup is to put the windows in...

Thanks for looking, Nick

• Like 7

26 minutes ago, Fnick said:

Lights chromed

Well apart from the ones I forgot... Yeah apart from those they are all done...☺️🤦‍♂️

Edited by Fnick
  • Haha 1