ICM 1/32 Gloster Gladiator (Belgian Air Force) and Gloster Sea Gladiator (Hal Far Fighter Flight, Malta)

Thanks very much gents :) I would at this point be feeling a bit deflated that I had come to the end of a kit that I enjoyed building so much... but I've got another one :) 

DSCN2000.jpg

... and a bit more benchspace now :D 

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 12

Thanks Chris, I try just to keep what I know I will need for the build on the bench, I've got a couple of very untidy shelves and boxes with all the stuff that I won't immediately need as well. Still, however tidy your desk, you still tend to end up working in the six square inches directly ahead of you :lol: 

The Top Notch mask set is designed for N5520 'S' of the Hal Far Fighter Flight which has a slightly lower demarkation line along the fuselage, but with a little twisting and bending is still usable:

DSCN2002.jpg

And once that was fitted and the tailfin and u/c legs masked, the Dark Slate Grey was applied:

DSCN2004.jpg

Today should be more masks for the disruptive pattern, then application of the Extra Dark Sea Grey :) 

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 11

19 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

Still, however tidy your desk, you still tend to end up working in the six square inches directly ahead of you :lol: 

Ha ha yes definitely.  The masks are interesting,  I keep seeing them for sale on the Bay but, as a brush painter, I don't suppose they will be much good for me.  Very interested to see them in action. 

Chris

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks gents :cheers: The collector rings did turn out nicely, I think I finally almost got the result I have been edging toward for the last ten years or so :lol: No doubt I shall never be able to replicate it again and will die bitter and resentful as a result :) 

Chris, no I wouldn't bother with a camo mask set if I were brush-painting, unless I was supremely lazy or clumsy, but it is useful if you are a lazy or clumsy airbrusher :) 

I've got a bit of catching up to do, sorry... 

DSCN2005.jpg

I applied the camo masks, the wings and tailplanes were easy enough, the fuselage a bit more complex and as I went on I had the niggling feeling that something was not right. Eventually I came to the conclusion that the pattern for the fuselage was correct but reversed i.e. for the wings you spray the Dark Slate Grey, mask then spray the Extra Dark Sea Grey but the fuselage masks cover the area for the Extra Dark Sea Grey. 

I raised this with Topnotch and they advised that it was not an error and gave me several reasons in justification of their choice but I do not accept them and while I am not a Sea Gladiator expert at all I would say if you do buy this set in either 1/72, 1/48 or 1/32 then satisfy yourself that you are happy with the camouflage layout before committing to paint. I ended up removing the fuselage masks and applying a pattern that I was happy with using Blu-Tack, Tammy tape and masking fluid:

DSCN2009.jpg

The Extra Dark Sea Grey was applied and the masking removed:

DSCN2011.jpg

... and the tailfin stripe applied, as it will be a hell of a lot easier to do this before the tailplane rigging is fitted:

DSCN2018.jpg

Rigging was added to the upper halves of the lower wings before they were fitted:

DSCN2020.jpg

... the tailfins and ailerons were fitted:

DSCN2022.jpg

The aforementioned tailfin rigging was rigged - if you are judicious in your drilling you can do all of it with just two bits of thread:

DSCN2024.jpg

... and the interplane struts were fitted. Trust ICM here - the struts have a deep and secure footing and will set in the correct position to fit in the corresponding holes in the upper wing.

DSCN2026.jpg

So that's where I am: getting there. I have a later shift today so don't start until 10am, I may get some more done this morning... :) 

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 14

3 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

Thanks gents :cheers: The collector rings did turn out nicely, I think I finally almost got the result I have been edging toward for the last ten years or so :lol: No doubt I shall never be able to replicate it again and will die bitter and resentful as a result :) 

Chris, no I wouldn't bother with a camo mask set if I were brush-painting, unless I was supremely lazy or clumsy, but it is useful if you are a lazy or clumsy airbrusher :) 

😄 I know what you mean about the collector rings,  but you did absolutely nail it with these two.

I won't get the masks although I am lazy!!!

Good to see the paint on and shadow compensation on the lower wing.  Looking great Stew.

Chris

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Duncan B said:

The Sea Glad is looking so good I think I shall take my last one out of stock and build it myself.....

Duncan B

I hope you don't mean the one I ordered this morning Duncan? :D 

Cheers,

Stew

• Haha 3

This is really coming along stew, and looks cracking. I’ve just drilled the holes for the rigging on my 1/72 kit rigging, think they are oversized. 

I’ll watch how you tackle yours and see if I can scale it down! 

rob

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, rob85 said:

This is really coming along stew, and looks cracking. I’ve just drilled the holes for the rigging on my 1/72 kit rigging, think they are oversized. 

I’ll watch how you tackle yours and see if I can scale it down! 

rob

I drill 0.3mm holes for 1:72 rigging, and the correct size of monofilament (or whatever your choice is for rigging) to be in scale is 0.06mm. 

I use this stuff.

20190810_144630

Ian

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks gents :cheers: I really do recommend this kit to you, it's a superb piece of work from ICM B) 

Rob I used 0.3mm drill bits on these and I got through quite a few of them as well, mostly due to my own clumsiness, though I did use a much chunkier bit for the main bracing wires between the wings - I think I could have gone with bigger drill bits all round in this scale. The holes you drilled might not be as overscale as you suspect, check out the pictures in the walkaround, some of the rigging goes into 'holes' in the wings, it's not necessarily as neat and tidy as you might expect. My personal preference for the rigging is Infini Lycra thread, it doesn't add the structural strengthening you get with fishing line or steel wire but the flexibility is a god-send to the ham-fisted or sausage-fingered :) 

Anyway I got the cabane struts and the top wing fitted, and most of the rigging is done:

DSCN2029.jpg

Just the aileron linkage to go and then more transfers... :) 

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 9