Japanese 'Oceanic' camouflage

djos

1 hour ago, Red Dot said:

The Mr Color set is what you need for that scheme. Not sure about getting it in the UK, but search the net

Andy

Thanks Andy - I have ordered a pot of each colour via Amazon from Italy. Due mid-March so finger crossed. £10 in total.

I couldn't find a UK supplier - (that doesn't mean there isn't one!)

21 hours ago, iainpeden said:

Thanks Andy - I have ordered a pot of each colour via Amazon from Italy. Due mid-March so finger crossed. £10 in total.

I couldn't find a UK supplier - (that doesn't mean there isn't one!)

I looked for you too, but they were all sold out. I believe that you can buy the pots individually now, rather than in the set, which frankly was a waste of money, as you got a pot of light grey too. Most of us have the latter in stock already

Andy

Mr Color 375 (JASDF Deep Ocean Blue) and 374 (JASDF Shallow Ocean Blue) arrived this morning from Italy (well packed and no breakages); a couple of WGAF Phantoms to clear off the work bench then it's on to the FineMolds F-4EJ.

• Like 1

I am awaiting the Vic Hobby colours from HLJ to test out on an F-2A. Hopefully they should be with me next week.

Regards

Robert

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

The Vic Hobby paint has arrived from Japan and I am impressed. I have only tried one paint so far and that is CA182 JASDF Sea Blue B, that is used on the underside of F-2A/B. The paint is a little bit thicker than Tamiya and Mr Hobby Aqueous and does not smell as strong as the Mr Color version of the paint. I shook the paint and put some in a shot glass, put some Tamiya X-20A in mixed it and started spraying it.

spacer.png

On the main fuselage/wing, I had put down some Tamiya XF-54 Dark Sea Grey as a primer, then sprayed the Sea Blue onto it. It has come out a bit darker because of the primer. On the tailplane I sprayed it directly onto the bare plastic and it has come out lighter. The paint is very smooth on both surface. I will be doing the darker blue in a couple of days and report back. As I said at the beginning I am impressed !

Regards

Robert

• Like 1

Thanks for the update Robert. It may just be the photo, but it looks a bit too blue, if that makes sense.

Does it look accurate to your eyes?

Andy

The colour is never easy to identify see https://www.planespotters.net/photo/901782/13-8508-japan-air-self-defence-force-jasdf-mitsubishi-f-2a that is why l did it with and without a primer. I am going to wait until l do the darker blue to see the contrast between the two. I have never seen an actual F-2A/B so am only going on photos.

Regards

Robert

That is a good.plan. having seen them, sunny conditions are not good to judge the true colour. The best photos are with light cloud

Andy