A Walrus's Big Brother - Stranraer 1/72

Tweener

Good evening all,

Today I have the early stages of Matchbox's 1//72 Supermarine Stranraer, which has turned out to be a far larger model than I had expected it to be. Following the build of (and information from) @Vulcanicity, I have scratched some interior detail, though my final result will be slightly less impressive. 

Ultimately, I hope to add depth charges under the wings, new engines (and maybe new cowlings), new machine guns (Brownings, instead of Lewis Guns) and I have the Thunderbird models mask set ready to use. 

Here is what I have so far:

Stranraer Interior

Wish me luck on the rest!

Thanks all,

Stay safe,

Tweener

• Like 16

16 hours ago, Robert Armstrong said:

Looking good so far, I watched Vulcanicity's double build of this and the Heyford, so you've got the right guy helping you with info etc... .

I remember building this in the early 80's as a teenager. 

4 hours ago, Vulcanicity said:

Nice start, I shall of course be following! :)

15 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

It does look good so far, I also watched the double build and sgree with Robert above.  I have one of these in the stash, and will tag along.

Chris

Thanks you three! Hopefully I can do this fine kit justice. Just today I have gone and added some more framing, as well as one of the kitchen units and the start of one of the bunks. Hopefully tomorrow I can finish and add the other bunk, as well as something of a floor for the rear gunners station. I have 2 photos of the area that I am aiming to match as best as I can.

Here is how she looks now:

Supermarine Stranraer

Additionally, work on the top wing and tail has begun. Next up I plan to get started on the bottom wings by cutting out the bomb recesses. 

That's all for the moment,

Tweener

• Like 14

I shall follow with interest, I've just started the same kit! (When I say started, I mean I've decided it's next on the chopping block. I will probably look at it for a week before anything close to progress is made 😳)

What paint scheme are you going for?

16 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

The interior details look great.

Cracking job

Chris

14 hours ago, Team Aer Lingus said:

Excellent work so  far Tweener very nice 

thanks for sharing

Eamonn

2 hours ago, dogsbody said:

Chair pulled up and I've got a full cup of coffee.

Chris

1 hour ago, Quiet Mike said:

I shall follow with interest, I've just started the same kit! (When I say started, I mean I've decided it's next on the chopping block. I will probably look at it for a week before anything close to progress is made 😳)

What paint scheme are you going for?

Thanks for the kind words all; hopefully I won't disappoint as work continues.

@Quiet MikeAs for the paint scheme, I am (as of now) undecided, but I rather fancy some of the RCAF schemes I have seen. The decals that came with my boxing weren't any good, so I will have to take a look around and see about replacements and / or sourcing alternative decals.

Today I finished assembling the tail section, and for now, it looks like this compared to the Matchbox Hawker Fury I have going as an easy side project:

Stranraer Tail Comparison

To say this build will take up some space in the case is an understatement, but I look forward to continuing on none-the-less.

Wish me luck,

Tweener

• Like 10

On 2/15/2021 at 12:51 AM, Martian said:

Good progress. For some reason I can never get enough of seeing this kit and the Matchbox Heyford getting built.

Martian 👽

I've got some good news then - a Heyford is definitely in the future plans!

On 2/14/2021 at 8:06 PM, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Oh, the colors!  Great project--looking forward to seeing this progress.

The sure sign of a MB Classic!

Last night, a walkway was added to the rear fuselage and the left side bunk was completed. Once this was done, painting began. I decided to paint the walkway with Vallejo Neutral Gray to break up the interior green, but it is far darker than proper NG and will probably look not far short of black once the fuselage is closed up. 

I decided that it would be cool for the piece that is the base of the middle gunner's position to be removable once the model is finished in order to be able to see some of the detail I've added, as otherwise a lot of it will be all but invisible. To that end, the gunner's position was built and the paint is currently drying on it as well.

For now, the interior looks like this:

Stranraer Interior

That's all for the moment,

Stay safe everyone,

Tweener

• Like 5

I'll be following this, hopefully to pick up some ideas for interior detailing. I have an Airfix Sunderland which I haven't built mostly because I have no idea what to do with the very empty interior.

John.