Tornado flown by a professional crew - with a loose panel?

Blimpyboy

If that is real, why is the pilot a different 'scale' to the nav!

I think the nav could be real but the pilot has been photoshopped for greater effect. The positioning doesn't look right and that shadow across his face doesn't match the width of the frame.

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/24/2021 at 1:00 PM, Des said:

No mention of any photographs having been taken but in the book 'Tornado F3-  25 Years Of Air Defence' published by Squadron Prints a former 23 Squadron member relates a transit from the UK to Malaysia for an exercise in 1992 when one of the pilots ate something dodgy during a stopover in Muscat and then suffered a very personal 'explosive decompression' over the Indian Ocean and at one point was stripped off as far as possible , kneeling on his ejection seat facing backwards towards his Navigator hoping that the box his packed lunch had came in was up to the task he was putting it to.

Geez, I hope ICM doesn't read this. They might make it their next diorama set after that field toilet....

I wonder if that particular cockpit (or pilot) got any nicknames afterwards? I hope the Nav got councelling...

Incidentally, with the aircraft (presumably) not being a Twin sticker with it being on an exercise, did the Nav have any way AT ALL of flying the jet?

Cheers,

WV908

• Haha 1

On 4/29/2021 at 11:22 AM, WV908 said:

Incidentally, with the aircraft (presumably) not being a Twin sticker with it being on an exercise, did the Nav have any way AT ALL of flying the jet?

Account suggests that their faith (and fate) were in the hands of the auto pilot or equivalent system on the F.3.

• Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 2/14/2021 at 12:35 PM, Troffa said:

And can I just state, for the record, that we RAF Pan Trash / Line Swine did remember to correctly secure almost all of the the panels and doors almost all of the time ! 🙂  

Once upon a time before BM was a thing I posted a query on Pprune to get the details right on a Phantom  QRA diorama that I still haven't finished. In one of the responses someone confessed to having once sent Q1 off with all the yelllow noddy caps still on the Sidewinders. 

Edited by stuartp
  • Like 1