The elephant in the room - Airfix 1:72 Shack MR2

Had a mini session before bed last night. Assembling propellors, attaching engines and finishing off the landing gear. The join between the nacelles and the props is not great, summer filling and sanding required there.

Decided to slide the wings on and dry fit the wheels - she's a big old beast!

IMG_20210615_000151

Looking very shack-like now! Broke an aerial off in the process 😡 getting to the stage where I'm going to have to start putting on so the things I've been leaving off for fear of breaking. Need to get as much sanding/filling/painting as possible done first to minimise breakages..

Al

• Like 9

Progress has been slow of late, partly I think because I'm getting towards the business end of this and its all a bit scarey 😬  I was dreading taking the masking off the white/grey in case it had leaked through, but in a moment of bravery I ripped it off last Friday and was pretty happy with the result.  Little bit of white touch up but nothing too bad at all.  Also finished putting the engines on.  Lot of filling and sanding needed when I mounted the props, although I think I might have overdone it as the join is, I think, now too smooth in a few places.  Trick with filling and sanding is knowing when to stop 😂

IMG_20210622_200856

Also masked and painted the black anti glare panel on the nose which really looks the part.  The airfix paint scheme wasn't quite right in this regard as it has the black wrapping round over the top of the nose to where the guns are.  Luckily I have plenty of photos of this area and, whilst there's some variation, the huge majority have the black finishing just before the end of the glazed panel on the top of the nose.

I think the next stage might be gloss and then decals - planning on doing that before I put the wings on - I'm paranoid about breaking something while handling it.  Last time I tried to gloss the white I ended up with loads of dust and hairs in it - looked so bad I had to sand it back and redo the white.  Nervous about doing that again, but hard to know what I can do with my brushes to stop it from happening 🤷‍♂️

Just going to have to put my big boy pants on and crack on with it I think!

Al.

• Like 8

On 6/22/2021 at 8:23 PM, alhenderson said:

I think the next stage might be gloss and then decals - planning on doing that before I put the wings on - I'm paranoid about breaking something while handling it.  Last time I tried to gloss the white I ended up with loads of dust and hairs in it - looked so bad I had to sand it back and redo the white.  Nervous about doing that again, but hard to know what I can do with my brushes to stop it from happening 🤷‍♂️

Just going to have to put my big boy pants on and crack on with it I think!

Al.

Kepp the cat/dog/children out of the room and don't do any cleaning in the room for a few days befor hand all of which should keep the dust/hair down.

Gondor

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gondor44 said:

Kepp the cat/dog/children out of the room and don't do any cleaning in the room for a few days befor hand all of which should keep the dust/hair down.

Gondor

I have two teenagers who, if left to their own devices, would not leave their rooms at all, so no issues there.  Cats, on the other hand, are almost certain to set up camp in there as soon as they realise they're not wanted 😂  Keeping the wife out only works in the weeks leading up to Christmas and her birthday..  Gonna have to go full hazmat suit and one of those sealed workspaces where they mess with viruses in the movies..

Al.

• Haha 1

Bit the bullet and did some glossing last night. Initially thought I could not do the white and avoid getting hair etc on the there as there are no decals on the roof. But there a few stencils so not going to get away with that 😔

There's a fair amount of hair etc on the grey, but happily it doesn't show up unless you look really hard.  Guess I'll just have to try and spot it as I go and try to remove before it dries 🤷

Fun, fun, fun...

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, alhenderson said:

There's a fair amount of hair etc on the grey, but happily it doesn't show up unless you look really hard. 

Fact of life with painting innit. I painted my 1:1 scale garage door the other day and it's covered in dead insects. What we need is hermetically sealed painting environments! 

Edited by TonyOD
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, TonyOD said:

Fact of life with painting innit. I painted my 1:1 scale garage door the other day and it's covered in dead insects. What we need is hermetically sealed painting environments! 

Bloody insects, going and dying on your paint!  The irony here is that I'm all concerned about the quality of my white finish, but it won't be long before I get to work weathering it and generally dirtying it up! 

Al.

• Like 2

On 6/24/2021 at 4:00 PM, alhenderson said:

I have two teenagers who, if left to their own devices, would not leave their rooms at all, so no issues there.  Cats, on the other hand, are almost certain to set up camp in there as soon as they realise they're not wanted 😂  Keeping the wife out only works in the weeks leading up to Christmas and her birthday..  Gonna have to go full hazmat suit and one of those sealed workspaces where they mess with viruses in the movies..

Al.

Add a keypad to the door which plays a different note depending on the key pressed, just like for lab in 007's Moonraker' :D

Gondor

• Like 1

Its been an interesting weekend - this little chap joined the family - Bailey the Cockerpoo.  Its going to be an interesting (and, I suspect tiring!) few weeks ahead while we all get used to each other 🙂  

Bailey

With less bench time on the cards you'd think I'd be keen to crack on and finish, wouldn't you?  After all, she's glossed up and ready for decals.  Unfortunately, the hairy and bumpy finish has really annoyed me.  I realised when touching some bits up that my gloss has crystallised around the lid, which probably explains all the lumps and bumps I get when I put the gloss on.  As a test I set about sanding hairs and bumps of the underside of one of the wings to see if I could improve it.

IMG_20210627_162622

I bought a bunch of flory models sticks a few weeks back so I'm using some of the smoother sticks here so try and not take all the paint off.  Also thinning the grey I'm putting back on as its a little thick in the tin now.  Having sanded back, wiped down and given it a coat, it looks and feels a lot better.  Now I just need to find an alternative to my humbrol gloss coat.  A rattle can would be best, I think, have found a few options online, but delivery of aerosols is silly money so going to see what the local model shop has..

The saga continues!

Al.

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Well, that's been a frustrating week!  Having got the wing sanded to a smooth finish, I then had to redo the grey, but getting to the bottom of the tin now so it needs thinning.  Tried thinning it with turps - didn't really work - seemed to go on 'weirdly', can't really describe it, but it wasn't right.  Decided to get some thinners instead (having read that turps is not a good way to think enamels - white spirit supposedly OK, but not turps).  That was better, but still a bit odd.  Thankfully the finish was still good so I didn't have to go there again. 

Now, just the gloss coat prior to decals to do..  Except my Humbrol enamel gloss has so much gunk in it its practically useless 😞  So, the search is on for a replacement, recommeded Mr Hobby Super Clear by a few people on Twitter.  Delivery of that is expensive, being an aerosol, so I decided to support my local hobby shop instead and popped in there for a look.  All they had was Humbrol, which I wasn't keen on, but didn't have a great deal of choice.  So I cam away with the acrylic version of their gloss rattle can.

IMG_20210705_204958

Not impressed with the finish on that!  Nothing like gloss, in my book.  I'd say that's satin all day long.  Grrr....

Still, might be good enough for the decals, so I had a go with the yellow walkways from the Revell MR.3 sheet.

IMG_20210706_075152

Two problems now present themselves.  The writing's illegible and I think the lines themselves are different, which is probably no surprise given that they're for an MR.3.  I don't think that gap should be there at the right hand end of the 'Walk Here' path.  I think there's enough spare yellow lines on the sheet to sort that out, and maybe with the final weathering etc, the writing won't be an issue either.  Perhaps?...  

At least the fin flash on the tail went on no bother 🙂

Al.

• Like 4

I feel your pain with your clear coat struggles- it would be marvellous if a UK or European supplier could provide a product comparable to Mr. Hobby's  Topcoat or Mr. Super Clear but I haven't found one despite decades of searching. 

As I don't have a dedicated modelling room I can't always set up the airbrush, especially for clear coats so I bite the bullet and head to ebay for my Gunze Sangyo products- I can spray these onto the kit outside the back door, they dry really fast, rock hard  in around 15 minutes or so and would reduce the time that your models would be vulnerable to pet hairs and other hazzards. 

I've used them on my Lancaster build and I'm really happy with the end results.

Best of luck with the rest of your build, It's looking good- You have me hankering for a Shackleton! 

Cheers,

Troffa

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Troffa said:

I feel your pain with your clear coat struggles- it would be marvellous if a UK or European supplier could provide a product comparable to Mr. Hobby's  Topcoat or Mr. Super Clear but I haven't found one despite decades of searching. 

As I don't have a dedicated modelling room I can't always set up the airbrush, especially for clear coats so I bite the bullet and head to ebay for my Gunze Sangyo products- I can spray these onto the kit outside the back door, they dry really fast, rock hard  in around 15 minutes or so and would reduce the time that your models would be vulnerable to pet hairs and other hazzards. 

I've used them on my Lancaster build and I'm really happy with the end results.

Best of luck with the rest of your build, It's looking good- You have me hankering for a Shackleton! 

Cheers,

Troffa

It would be great if stuff like that was more easily available.  I can get it delivered, but the delivery cost is at least, if not more, than the cost of the can.  I've just ordered a bottle of pledge having also seen that recommended.  Might try it on the other wing as I'm not entirely happy with putting decals on that 'gloss' coat.

The way this is going, I'm going to need another Shack as well on which to enact the lessons learnt on this one!  There's a real danger that I'm doing too much experimenting in the final stages here and might come a cropper 😬

Al.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Troffa said:

My missus is going to love that my Shackleton arriving

It's a big ole box, alright!

• Haha 1

If only pictures of the upper wings of Shackleton MR.2s were not so hard to find!  It looks like MR.3s and AEW.2s had walkway markings pretty much all the way along the wing, but Airfix think that they went just beyond the outboard engine and no further on the MR.2.  Pictures showing the upper wings of grey/white MR.2s are like hen's teeth, and ones in colour are outnumbered by rocking horse poo...

Al.

9 hours ago, alhenderson said:

It would be great if stuff like that was more easily available.  I can get it delivered, but the delivery cost is at least, if not more, than the cost of the can.  I've just ordered a bottle of pledge having also seen that recommended.  Might try it on the other wing as I'm not entirely happy with putting decals on that 'gloss' coat.

I follow your feed and didn't realise you posted over here.

Your Shackleton is looking great. Just be careful with Humbrol Gloss Acrylic from the rattle cans... I used to use these as a quick and simple answer to a gloss coat, all too many models were ruined after the product turned frosty on the surface. It's very temperamental to moisture and temperature. I found results were better after leaving the can in a bowl of warm water for a while, followed by a very good shake ..

7 minutes ago, NavyWessex said:

I follow your feed and didn't realise you posted over here.

Your Shackleton is looking great. Just be careful with Humbrol Gloss Acrylic from the rattle cans... I used to use these as a quick and simple answer to a gloss coat, all too many models were ruined after the product turned frosty on the surface. It's very temperamental to moisture and temperature. I found results were better after leaving the can in a bowl of warm water for a while, followed by a very good shake ..

Once I found a few modelling types on twitter I found it not only made Twitter a way more appealing place, but was also a good place to ask questions and get answers/recommendations reasonably quickly.  I should probably thank my lucky stars that the Humbrol acrylic varnish has dried OK (if we ignore the fact its not gloss!).

On another note, I have found a picture of a couple of Shacks in a hangar at Ballykelly which *seems* to show the wing walkways as depicted by Airfix - i.e. not all the way along the wing.  Its not the best photo and not conclusive but it might be all I get...

Al.

Decalling continues.  And it occurred to me that I need smaller fuselage roundels than are on the airfix sheet.  Luckily, I think the MR.3 sheet has ones I can use.  Is anyone able to confirm what size roundel #21 on the Xtradecal sheet below represents, please?  Thinking #26 on the Revell sheet is what I need.. 🤞

IMG_20210707_081642

• Like 1

Why not give the old modeller's standby a go for gloss ..... Klear/Pledge/Future...?

I've been using it for years and it's very forgiving, long lasting (my bottle is around 20 years old now) and very cheap. Can be airbrushed on, or hairy stick'd. Thin with about 50% water with a tiny drop of washing up liquid to break the tension. Two or three coats (depending on how matt the underlying paint is) should give you a rock hard high gloss that dires quickly, and being wax based, it doesn't seem to mind enamels or acrylics either under or over it.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Model Mate said:

Why not give the old modeller's standby a go for gloss ..... Klear/Pledge/Future...?

I've been using it for years and it's very forgiving, long lasting (my bottle is around 20 years old now) and very cheap. Can be airbrushed on, or hairy stick'd. Thin with about 50% water with a tiny drop of washing up liquid to break the tension. Two or three coats (depending on how matt the underlying paint is) should give you a rock hard high gloss that dires quickly, and being wax based, it doesn't seem to mind enamels or acrylics either under or over it.

I have a bottle of that on order, should be arriving today.  Who'd have thought I would be excited about buying cleaning products? 🙂  Do you recommend thinning when brushing, or is that just when air brushing?

Thanks,

Al.

I thin it in both cases. You need to apply it in thin coats (good practice anyway) or you can get pooling in crevices. A soft, flat brush works almost as well as airbrushing. Can also be used to bed decals down if you don't have, like using or have had bad experiences with decal solutions.

• Like 1

It's been a frustrating week! I did something nasty to my hamstring when running last week meaning I've been unable to sit or stand comfortably for any length of time. Meaning that modelling was a no go for most of it 😔

I did get some pledge on the wings to test it against the Humbrol "gloss varnish" and I'm pleased to say it was much better. Also a doodle to put on, and pretty quick drying. Hopefully my gloss varnish problems are solved going forward 🤞

I got very tempted while lying around trying to get comfortable to sand down the fuselage and try again to get a smooth finish. Happily, those thoughts have passed - don't think the amount of effort and potential for cock ups would be worth it. I think the finish will forever annoy me, but I'll use it as a lesson and move on, I think!

So decalling has resumed with some stencils - there are a lot (Although probably not "Airfix Phantom" level!).

IMG_20210712_181552

Having my usual conondrum as to which way the writing should go on these. So far have gone for "what feels right" 🤷 also annoying that the crossway yellow lines are too long and overlap at the back. Made me think I had them in the wrong place but I don't think I do. Will have to touch up with some grey later.

Hopefully I can crack on now and start to make some real progress. I have a Lightning that I'm quite keen to start on 😁

Al

• Like 4

Now we're talking!  The red/white squadron numbers and codes are what epitomise Shacks in my mind.

IMG_20210718_205722

Have had to order a sheet of roundels from Hannants as the ones I've got are too big.  In the meantime I'll work around that.  In placing the decals I'm reminded of my comment in the first post of this thread - "not going to sort out windows etc".  Of the windows in the shot above, I don't think the second from the left should be there on a Phase II machine.  I thought about filling it this afternoon but then had a word with myself - filling existing windows is one thing, but making the news ones is a different matter - esp when you leave it until this stage of the process!  I also think my prop tips should be yellow rather than red/white - oh well, not to worry.  Hard to tell some of these details from the many B&W pictures from the period.

Might be getting onto a roll now.. Although hollibobs in a week's time so there will be a brief hiatus.  Plus I have to put her into storage when we're away as we're house swapping with some friends 😬

Al.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Have been trying to get some momentum going on this. I'm getting close to the finish now. I'm now done with all the decals (I think) so now it's a case of going back over the instructions and finding the bits I didn't assemble for fear of breakages 😁

That might not be as easy as it sounds, I've had a couple of half hearted attempts at putting the bomb bay doors on, but the fit's not great. Also tried the transparency under the nose, it also needs some fettling.

Had planned to tackle some of this tonight but after an impromptu pub visit for dinner I've decided discretion is the better part of valour!

I dry fitted the wings for a little photo op and then retreated downstairs 🤣

IMG_20210813_205805

Like @Vulcanicity I also sourced yellow wing walkways from elsewhere. Unfortunately mine are from an old Revell MR.3 and they look ropey next to the modern Airfix ones, but needs must!

Anyway, I think another beer might be calling!

Al

• Like 4