Airfix 1/48 Sea Fury FB.11 COMPLETE 05/04/2021

Where I am right now. Everything is primed with Mr Surfacer 1500 Grey, and some work still needs to be done on the fuselage and 1 wing leading edge.

Except the 3 inch rockets, or at least the mounting rails. Rockets come in 2 parts (left & right) and that already makes me sad. Added to the fact I want the wings folded, (because its Navy and that makes it look different to all the land lubber planes I have with fixed wings), I seriously doubt they would be loaded with the wings folded. Going to cut them off sometime near the end. 

20210227_221716

And it wouldn't be me if I didn't do something completely avoidable and detrimental to the final finish. Cracked the front windscreen taking it off its painting toothpick because I'm an idiot. So yeah. Big crack running up the middle section. [Insert cuss words here in your best Samuel L Jackson impression.]

• Like 6

9 hours ago, wellsprop said:

@Evil_Toast_RSA if it is just the front windscreen (peice F01) that you cracked, pm me your address - I have one spare!

I'm all the way out in the colonies and our postal service is about as reliable as a chocolate hammer. I appreciate the offer and thank you, but I must decline unfortunately. 

Most manufacturers will supply replacements. I got a replacement set of decals from Roden after emailing them ( free of charge I might add)

I might also add that brexit seems to have slowed the UK postal system

down to the level of an asthmatic snail ( it’s never been fast) I’m now waiting six weeks for my KP Avia S199s that I bought on eBay, I could have walked it in that time ( excepting the fact that the Irish Sea is in the way)

@Marklo, I used Airfixes replacement service before*, but the postage alone is 1/3 of a new Sea Fury for me here, and thats discounting our postal service. Pro tip. If you need to get rid of a dead body, post it here. It will never turn up again. Courier is out of the question. 

* - still waiting for my Canberra B.8 decal sheet, its with my brother and seeing as our wedding last year was put on hold due to Covid, it's still in blighty with him. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Update on the weeks slow progress. 

20210302_190122

Vallejo Surface Primer (73.602) applied. As a traditional primer you can sand, it's not that great. As a unified layer that future layers of Vallejo adhere to very well, I like it! 

20210303_211850

Basecoat of EDSG (71.110) applied, and started breaking up the monotone grey by adding Dark Gull Grey (71.277) to the EDSG. Yes, I'm aware these planes are known for being well maintained, but want to create some visual interest so "Artistic License " card is played. 

20210304_215940

Very thin layer of Dark Gull Grey applied to high spots and panel centers, and a thin glaze of EDSG (1 paint:10 Glaze Medium) applied over everything to tone it down a bit and unify the fading. 

Now, masking. Should be okay but the tail area demarcation is a bit of schlep from previous experience. 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Been a while, but got the Sky down! 

Used VMA 71.302 Sky Type S and lightened with plain old white (71.001) for the same effect as the EDSG. Also did the metallic panels behind exhausts in Metal Colour Jet Exhaust (77.713). 

Gloss applied, next, my favorite, decals. Fortunately not many stencils so should be quick-ish. Still need to do the prop tips and tail hook tip in yellow. 

20210315_205146

• Like 7

Decals done, huzzah! Very thin ones with minimal carrier film at that, ran into a few problems with the under wing serial numbers (one folded over at the very corner of the 6) and prop markings (ditto), meaning the props lost there decals unfortunately and the one 6 looks a bit iffy when viewed up close. I need to pay more attention. 

20210322_200618

Anyway, now I need to gloss coat again and wait for the weekend to do the oil panel lines, and another week to dry, matt varnish and any more oil weathering. 

• Like 7

• Evil_Toast_RSA changed the title to Airfix 1/48 Sea Fury FB.11 COMPLETE 05/04/2021

I'd have to say this build is  fan-dang-tabulous! Watching this Sea Fury come together has not only been a delight to watch unfold, but educational as well. I have the Export version stuffed up on the shelf that I'll get one of these centuries. Now I know what to watch out for. Thanks!

• Thanks 1

Good job all-round, especially with the cowling. I too wimped out and bought the Barracuda one and it’s sitting with the export version in the stash. Yours is good inspiration to actually retrieve it and get started!

• Thanks 1

Nice neat build Evil, a very special FAA subject.

I don't think the guys overseas believe we have a non existent postal service. Well yes we have a system but not a service. People who want a 'job' but don't want work! Two packages I ordered in November arrived (thankfully) mid February. Christmas cards forget it, I'll open them the end of this years.

Anyway, enough of a rant, how are thigs up in Durbs? I'm along the coast in Sedgefield.

Colin

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, heloman1 said:

I don't think the guys overseas believe we have a non existent postal service. Well yes we have a system but not a service. People who want a 'job' but don't want work! Two packages I ordered in November arrived (thankfully) mid February. Christmas cards forget it, I'll open them the end of this years.

Anyway, enough of a rant, how are thigs up in Durbs? I'm along the coast in Sedgefield.

Colin

It's one of those things. Last time I used SAPO was 2013, and my item from the US took 4 months to clear and looked like they played soccer with it. Good thing it was a foam carry case! 

Durbs is Durbs. Was full of vaalies and now is empty. But guess you have this problem too in December.... 

Oooooo yeah, I like that, looks fantastic,  I had the same issue withsome keep off decals on my Vampire  just could not get them straightened out.  It was cheaper to by tge Revell kit for replacement decals, although now I have another Vampire with two keep off decals missing.  Will have to get another kit!!!

Great work on your  lovely Sea Fury.

Chris

• Thanks 1