Airfix 1/48 Sea Fury FB.11 COMPLETE 05/04/2021

My FW-190 I started this week has hit the point of IDGAF with some fixes I don't feel like doing right now, so onto the shelf of future inspiration it goes. 

So, will do a Sea Fury instead. I think by now it's old hat here, so no sprue shots are needed. 

spacer.png

However, have an Eduard PE set for it! #49878 for anyone curious. 

20210212_183707

So. Will use box markings for the Korean War option, and will never know why they never included the one that shot down a MiG-15, that feat being so mundane and all. 

Anywho. Gonna start getting plastic shaved for PE, and see which parts I got short shot in my box. Huzzah! 

[Edit] - will also use Eduard RAF belts from set #49006. Feel free to point out my faux pas, but I'm dead sure the correct style is included. 

Edited by Evil_Toast_RSA
  • Like 5

8 minutes ago, Jeff G said:

Can't wait to see how it goes

Neither can I. I'm used to my amateur skillz, are you? 😆

Anyway, off to a great start. This is what the tailplane looks like without one of Airfix's " "features" ". 

20210212_185854

Trying to remember where else the features were in this kit. Think one of the bits on the cockpit bulkhead? 

• Like 1

I'm pulling up a seat for this one! 

Be aware that the cowl needs a little bit of effort and the rivet detail on the rudder isn't to everyone's taste ( I elected to remove it on my build!). 

Are you going with the kit decals/schemes? 

@wellsprop I know the cowl is a pig, got my reference builds handy when I get to that part. But, so far none of the problems reported when this kit hit the shelves. Tailplane not short molded. Panel lines equal on both fuselage halves (usual Airfix depth though, but I'm okay with that). The rudder pedals were a bit of a blob though, but PE sorted that out plus it's not easily visible. 

Yup, kit markings, the 801 Naval Air Squadron on HMS Glory. Getting aftermarket down this end isn't the easiest and cheapest way to spend ones time and money, so AM decals are very low on the list. 

On the up side, we don't get the first batch on release here in the ex-colonies(case in point, the new Buccaneer only got here end last year) so hopefully some of the early problems get solved by the time we get our paws on them. 

• Like 1

Been messing around with non PE related stuff today, getting ready for priming internals etc. Ran into a problem, the 20mm Hispano barrels were a tad deformed. So had to come up a solution from my limited supplies. Used hypodermic needles for new ones, cut down with my Dremel. 

Before: 

20210213_123344

After: 

20210213_125817

Not great from my side, but not wonky either. 

• Like 5

The PE application continues. Cockpit tub and rear bulkhead done with all the PE thats unpainted. 

Took some liberty with the seat. The Eduard set contains a PE seat, but the kits seat has some lovely molded detail, so I split the difference and kept the kit seat and added the PE around the plastic seat. Hope it will look okay at the end! 

No, onto the sidewalls..... 

20210213_193545

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

And sidewalls done, most of the PE is colored so will be going on last, was not expecting this! Got the gunsight built up too, no idea why Airfix forgot to put one in, guessing the restored Yeovilton one doesn'thaveone and it slipped through the R&D cracks? Unfortunately primed and got first layer of black down so it looks a bit boring. 

20210214_120918

State of play as of now. 

20210214_121040

Now to get the Hawker yellow primer (called out as Humbrol 74) done. Won't be getting a tin of mystery gloop to do it, so will play around with some VMA 71.107 US interior yellow and either Sky (71.302) or Curtiss Grey (71.296) until I come up with something that might reasonably look close. 

• Like 3

Got quite bit done today. 

- Hawker yellow bits were done with VMA US interior yellow and Curtiss Grey, no set ratio, just played around. Probably hopelessly inaccurate, so hate mail on a post card please! 

- Metallic parts (cockpit firewall, wing duct and filter) done in Vallejo Metal Color Semi Matt Aluminium (77.716). 

- Cockpit was a toughy. It's always a pain in the derriere to make black not only interesting, but less toy like than using straight black. So, used VMA RLM 66 (71.055) as basecoat, then added incremental drops of Neutral Gray (71.051) to try highlight. Seat done in VMC Khaki (70.988). Need to check pics for what, if any, bits and bobs need to be picked out in not-black. 

20210214_202205

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Evil_Toast_RSA said:

And sidewalls done, most of the PE is colored so will be going on last, was not expecting this! Got the gunsight built up too, no idea why Airfix forgot to put one in, guessing the restored Yeovilton one doesn'thaveone and it slipped through the R&D cracks? Unfortunately primed and got first layer of black down so it looks a bit boring. 

20210214_120918

State of play as of now. 

20210214_121040

Now to get the Hawker yellow primer (called out as Humbrol 74) done. Won't be getting a tin of mystery gloop to do it, so will play around with some VMA 71.107 US interior yellow and either Sky (71.302) or Curtiss Grey (71.296) until I come up with something that might reasonably look close. 

i don't know if this is a useful data point or not, but i made a primer by tinting Tamiya White Surface Primer (square bottle) with Tamiya Yellow Green. I think it would also work by adding Mr Color Yellow Green to their Base White 1000. In fact it might work better, because the Tamiya primer went on a bit rough around the wing root...and it required a bit of sanding to smooth out. Mr Base White seems to go on smoother.

Primer 008 Primer 015

Just in case you were curious.

-d-

Edited by David H
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Evil_Toast_RSA said:

@David H that looks much better than my attempt, will probably try that tomorrow, sure Tamiya XF-2 will make a suitable replacement for the white primer? 

Not sure, because of its sanding properties. Plain Tamiya will probably scratch off the model if you try to sand it.....but i'm sure it has finer grain, too.

-d-

Not a thrilling update, just a lot of part prep and getting the internals ready for a oil wash.

However, it wouldn't be an Airfix kit without some or other mould problem. 

20210216_205239

That is the rear cowling ring that the exhausts attach too. Are those meant to be raised rivets with some or other detail on it, like a reinforcing plate type thing? A slight faux pas and should be smooth? Answers on a postcard please.... 

Done the oil wash on the wheel bay and cockpit Thursday eve, so waiting for that to dry for a few days before I proceed (tomorrow?). Been playing with other sub-assemblies. Tackled the problem child known as "engine cowling". 

It looks as though the side parts (A 2 & 3) are too small by a few millimeters. So, didn't follow the instructions which call for them to be joined together before attaching the engine front and exhaust ring parts. Been reading up on this, and the internet hive mind suggests the following. 

20210220_191325

Attached A 2 & 3 to the engine front part separately. That particular part (A 3?) was the worst fitting of the two, it seems to have tried to straighten out after being molded. Some TLC using plenty of MEK and brute force got it aligned to the curve. Attached the other parts and voila. Not exactly pretty but no proud parts to sand down and ruin the shape, will fill the gaps with bits of strip styrene.  

20210220_192702

• Like 6

Will be watching this one , hopefully inspire me to get going on with my one, when I've finished my 190D multi build.!  I'd already wimped out of tackling the cowling, and got one from Ali, ( actually I think I may have got both, Barracudas as well )

Anyway ,  Huzzah, Glad to see someone else is enjoying "The Great".   

• Thanks 1

Things progressed relatively smoothly this week. 

There seems to be a slight mould mismatch on the outer wing parts. A slight difference in size that causes the ailerons to not fit very well. Some scraping/sanding/[insert preferred poison here] will sort that out. 

20210225_200834

Otherwise, got cowl sanded and replaced some raised latches I sanded off, as well as some raised panels between the cockpit and cowling, used various strips and sheets of Evergreen. Need to reduce the thickness of 2 of them tomorrow. 

20210226_224815

20210226_224837

Otherwise, primed all the other parts to check for issues. 

Still need to attach some more PE on the fuselage and canopy (shudder...), then starting priming and seeing how many little oopsies I need to fix. 

Should start applying paint hopefully by Monday, if not earlier, sprog dependant of course 😆

Edited by Evil_Toast_RSA
Spellingz
  • Like 10