Lightning F6 Overwing Tanks

Muzz

Look to see if anyone can tell me when the F6's overwing tanks started to be painted in Light Aircraft Grey? I'm thinking maybe early 70's.

Ì have a copy of Fred Martins Lightning Force but can't find where I've put it. I know there's a photo in it of F6's from either 23 or 29 Sqn landing/taking off finished in NMF carrying gloss painted LAG overwing tanks. If anyone can find the photo  would also be appreciated. 

Edit. Think it was maybe 5 Sqn as I've found a side profile on the Thunder & Lightnings site.

Just got the book out and there are 3 shots of 56 Sqn aircraft with the glossy tanks and NMF dated 1973, plus a 5 Sqn  aircraft in the same fit also from ‘73. 
Edit: The earliest shot I’ve got so far is of 74 Sqn aircraft in all NMF (including the tails), fitted with NMF over wing tanks dated 1967, in ‘Lighting Squadrons of the Royal Air  Force’ by Richard L Ward. There’s a shot of a 23 Sqn F6 with the light grey over wing tanks at Luqa in Tim McLellands Lightning book, but there’s no date.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Hook said:

There's a pic of a landing 56 Squadron NM F.6 with LAG tanks in 1973  on p. 50 of Flightcraft's Lightning volume. Could that ve it?

Cheers,

Andre

No I don't think but thanks and the year is good to know. Cheers

7 hours ago, bobsyouruncle said:

Just got the book out and there are 3 shots of 56 Sqn aircraft with the glossy tanks and NMF dated 1973, plus a 5 Sqn  aircraft in the same fit also from ‘73. 
Edit: The earliest shot I’ve got so far is of 74 Sqn aircraft in all NMF (including the tails), fitted with NMF over wing tanks dated 1967, in ‘Lighting Squadrons of the Royal Air  Force’ by Richard L Ward. There’s a shot of a 23 Sqn F6 with the light grey over wing tanks at Luqa in Tim McLellands Lightning book, but there’s no date.

Excellent thanks, I think it the 5 Sqn one, does it have the white panel on the spine?

Can you make out any serials/tail codes for the 5 and 23 Sqn machines?

Thanks.

Muzz, in Fred Martins book, the landing shot is the 56 Sqn F6 XR773 'N' (which has a white section of spine panel-there is also XR759 'P' which is the same).

There are shots of two 5 sqn F6s taxying with the light Grey over wing tanks (XP726 which has the white spine panel -extended to include the spine front compartment also - and XS898 'K' where the tank is partly obscuring most of where the spine is normally painted white, but the rear part that is visible,is NMF).

The 23 Sqn F6 in Tim McLellands book is XR760 'H' and has the white spine panels.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, bobsyouruncle said:

Muzz, in Fred Martins book, the landing shot is the 56 Sqn F6 XR773 'N' (which has a white section of spine panel-there is also XR759 'P' which is the same).

There are shots of two 5 sqn F6s taxying with the light Grey over wing tanks (XP726 which has the white spine panel -extended to include the spine front compartment also - and XS898 'K' where the tank is partly obscuring most of where the spine is normally painted white, but the rear part that is visible,is NMF).

The 23 Sqn F6 in Tim McLellands book is XR760 'H' and has the white spine panels.

Thanks very much for the info, appreciated.