RIP Darrell Burge - Airfix Marketing Manager

Dave Swindell

Ayup All...

Such sad news to hear of Darrells passing. A true Gent and giant of Airfix in the very best tradition. He was always ready to answer my (often vexed) Questions and loved Film Fangs’ display at SMW. Even though we didn’t have many Airfix models on the table in 2019. He listened to my ideas on all things Airfix and gave us some great Airfix ideas to augment our display which would have been for last year going forwards. I think we’ll be doing an homage to him for the next SMW. It was a true honour to know him, and he will be missed so very much by Airfix modellers and modellers in general. Rest in Peace Darrell. And my and Film Fangs’ deepest condolences to your family. 

Edited by Fea
  • Like 2

• Dave Swindell changed the title to RIP Darrell Burge - Airfix Marketing Manager

Very sad news indeed. I have known him since 2006 and his love of all things Airfix was well known. He was very supportive when I set up my own modelling forum at the time of the Humbrol/Airfix crash in 2006 and that quickly morphed into The Airfix Tribute Forum. Over the years he asked me to build many models for the Airfix company and I last saw him at SMW, Telford, 2019 to hand over a build he had commissioned. This picture sums up Darrell - smiling, wearing the Airfix brand, at Telford.

spacer.png

I had written to him just the other day and assumed that he was too busy to reply immediately. Sadly, that wasn't the case. I will miss him as will a lot of people. His shoes will be very hard to fill although I doubt that any one person would be able to take on the huge amount of work he did across the Hornby brands, not just Airfix.

RIP, Darrell

Dave

• Like 10

Sad news indeed.  I'd met Darrell a few times, and corresponded with him by email some more, and he always struck me as a decent sort.  I could always rely on him to help where he could, and will miss him.  RIP sir. :(

• Like 1