Lightning F.6 Cannon Ports

Bruce Archer

Hi All!!

I am banging away on this Lightning F.6, and found decals for it on a Modeldecal sheet. All was unicorns and rainbows until I realized the aircraft I was doing (XS903, "AM" of 5 Sqn) had cannons in the belly tank, and the kit I am beating into submission does not. I do not have a good image, or drawing as where these cannon ports were. Not even Ian Black's "Last of the Lightnings" was a help.

So does anyone have an image(s) or drawings as to where the cannon ports were on the belly tank? Thanks!

Bruce

Britmodeller’s very own walk around area has some great photos...............

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234976256-english-electric-lightning-f6-xr728/

My understanding is the belly tanks were interchangeable, so an aircraft could have one with cannons fitted one day and changed for a full tank without cannons the next day, in theory!

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Hook said:

AFAIK it's not just the ports, the gun belly pack has some assorted bulges as well. 

What kit / scale are you building? 1/72nd Airfix? 

Cheers,

Andre 

I went into my spares box and dug up a bunch of parts. The basic kit is the Hasegawa F.6, but I am using a lot of Matchbox bits. I have not received my Airfix F.6 and F.2A yet. This is an adventure in seeing I can build something which looks good from spare parts.

Bruce

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bruce Archer said:

I went into my spares box and dug up a bunch of parts. The basic kit is the Hasegawa F.6, but I am using a lot of Matchbox bits. I have not received my Airfix F.6 and F.2A yet. This is an adventure in seeing I can build something which looks good from spare parts.

Bruce

I know the feeling! Reason I ask, the new Airfix F.6 kit comes with both fuel and gun pack parts, I could offer you a spare set of the belly gun pack pieces.

Cheers,

Andre

1 hour ago, Bruce Archer said:

This is an adventure in seeing I can build something which looks good from spare parts.

Sounds like fun! I did something like that once, but I combined Matchbox parts with the Trumpeter kit. The Airfix (and Sword) Lightnings weren't out at the time, so I thought this would be the best way to do it. If it helps, here is my RFI which has a link to the WIP:

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 2/12/2021 at 11:22 AM, canberra kid said:

Hi does this help?

jzs1pG.jpg

John

Re-visiting this topic since I'm building a 1/48 Airfix gun version of the F.6.  Two questions:

1) If i understand the picture correctly, the end of the gun barrels do not extend outside the gun opening of the belly tank.  In fact, they appear to be ~2 feet away from the external opening.  Is that correct?   

2) I would like to build an NMF F.6 (probably  74 sqn Tengah).  I can't find any pictures though of an NMF gun version of the F.6.  Anybody have any pictures ?  

16 hours ago, jcchow66 said:

Re-visiting this topic since I'm building a 1/48 Airfix gun version of the F.6.  Two questions:

1) If i understand the picture correctly, the end of the gun barrels do not extend outside the gun opening of the belly tank.  In fact, they appear to be ~2 feet away from the external opening.  Is that correct?   

2) I would like to build an NMF F.6 (probably  74 sqn Tengah).  I can't find any pictures though of an NMF gun version of the F.6.  Anybody have any pictures ?  

It does have a gun through, it's just not on that drawing.

lH0Ot6.jpg

John

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, 72modeler said:

@canberra kid

John,

Are you sure you're not using all those factory manuals/diagrams to build a 1:1 Canberra and Lightning? :giggle:

Mike

Cheers, mate- thanks, as always, for the references!

LOL! I wish Mike, no such luck, But I have got this

lNXVbd.jpg

And you know what this means? I feel a big wing or two coming on! :) 

John

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, canberra kid said:

And you know what this means? I feel a big wing or two coming on! :) 

If you have been in lockdown for a year John you must have made the rest of the Canberra collection by now?

Hope you are well?

Bob,

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

If you have been in lockdown for a year John you must have made the rest of the Canberra collection by now?

Hope you are well?

Bob,

Hi Bob

I'm ok thanks Bob, how's things with you? 

I wish I had, apart from 3 weeks off with the Covid, I've been working, and when not working at work, I've been hard at work on writing the new Canberra book. I've only managed to build one thing this year and that was one of my dad's P.47 Thunderbolts. 

I'm hoping to be back in the Canberra saddle soon. 

John

• Like 2

2 hours ago, canberra kid said:

I'm ok thanks Bob, how's things with you? 

Lockdown for me being retired has only meant no model club meetings or model shows.  I have kept well and tried to make a dent in the stash but it always seems that no matter how many kits I have the one I want to build is not there.  Luckily Hannants and other kit suppliers have still been allowed to trade so the stash is bigger and I have kept building things.

I've had my first jab, no problems encountered, waiting to see if our model club can start meeting soon.

Bob

On 4/26/2021 at 2:49 AM, jcchow66 said:

I have a feeling that the gun pod on the F6 was done in the early 70's post 74 sqds use of of the aircraft in Tengah.

Edited by fatalbert