Hunt Destroyers HMS Chiddingfold and HMS Middleton 1/700

33 minutes ago, Terry1954 said:

Both those videos are great, and certainly helped me to understand how the ties worked etc. So after the initial fibreglass bonding strips between the ties are set, the ties come out then more fibreglass in the gaps where the ties were?

Nice MG Midget in the background too!

Terry

That's right - the tie-wraps disappear and continuous strips of 75mm wide glass tape is laid across both the 50mm strips there now and covering the gaps at the same time. I've got a roll of proper bi-directional glass cloth to fibreglass the whole inside of the boat because I'm a coward and would happily trade some weight for far better puncture resistance. It's got in-built buoyancy and if I can try to ensure bumping a submerged log or whatever doesn't puncture the boat then it should be quite hard to sink. I'll probably buy more to do outside the boat also for exterior ding resistance. It's a funny thing, composites. Many would think that you glass the outside of the boat if you want to prevent punctures but if you study the fracture mechanics of wood it's the grains on the inside which are subjected to tension as you poke into the wood from the outside that let go. So, you let the fibreglass on the inside offer a big increase in tensile strength which enhances the plywood's ability to have a sharpish object poke it hard from the outside.

This design seems pretty idiot proof so far. I've never built one before and I'm a superior class of idiot that can overcome the less sophisticated barriers that stop common idiots :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

That bit on the bridge? It looks all right to me :) Still, if it doesn't look good enough for you, I've no doubt that you will now do something very technical and pull the rabbit out of your hat :D 

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1

If you mean the two very slight paint ridges on the middle part of the bridge, perhaps some gentle sanding with a buffing stick will sort it?

Until you mentioned it I hadn't noticed it... And even then I had to look hard to see the problem. Don't be too hard on yourself. 

Love the 1:1 boat!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Captain Efficiency here arranged all the fiddly little parts on a stick for airbrushing in the same session as the hull. Then someone asked me on Facebook how I'd found the Finemolds Nanodread stuff and I realised the PomPom was still sealed in its box. Hence, this post shows you all the rather fine Finemolds Nanodread 1/700 Quadruple PomPom in injection moulded plastic, unpainted... :whistle:

resized_324f8f10-4a86-47ff-bdd4-05357861

• Like 8

On 11/04/2021 at 17:16, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

resized_d79cc5f1-426f-4c85-8055-2ec71a4e

It looks really tasty now!

(Mouth-watering main course, sharp cuttlery and  tidy napkin)

Edited by socjo1
  • Haha 3

Blimey Jamie, it looks brilliant, you have painted and assembled a good portion in the time it has taken me to mask a deck 🤪. Camo looks fantastic and so does the mast. Keep up the great work.

Mick

• Thanks 1

Thanks Mick :)

I thought I'd edit the photo above into black & white to have a direct comparison with the photo of the real thing. It's handy to see if the paint tones are right!

resized_50b6b514-b196-4d6c-a029-2b2022f4

cb103f36-ca21-48cb-90b1-75e483a35284.jpg

Not too bad. I'll try again at a similar angle and under similar lighting which is clearly from bow-on on the real ship. I'm pretty confident the Pendant Number is MS3 there. I should have cut the masks at the same time as the hull... Oops.

• Like 9

Hi Jamie, if its any use to you , I have a spare sheet of Starling models hull numbers you are welcome to, just checked the darker of the grey ones against your MS3 colourcoats and its quite close. If you want them send me your addy in a pm and I will get them in the post to you asap.

spacer.png

Mick

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, smyfe said:

Hi Jamie, if its any use to you , I have a spare sheet of Starling models hull numbers you are welcome to, just checked the darker of the grey ones against your MS3 colourcoats and its quite close. If you want them send me your addy in a pm and I will get them in the post to you asap.

spacer.png

Mick

Hi Mick, thank you for the generous offer. It's very kind of you! I can save you the hassle of posting though as I started drawing the pendants already in Illustrator and I've got the mask-cutter-y-machine right beside me so I can whip them up quick as a flash. Someone less fortunate will get far better use from those :D

• Like 3

On 12/02/2021 at 08:57, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

As well as single 20mm Oerlikons

Jamie.
If I’m going to try to convert my Naiad kit to represent Hermione, which I believe had a refit, are these the Oerlikons I would need ?

Jon

2 hours ago, Faraway said:

Jamie.
If I’m going to try to convert my Naiad kit to represent Hermione, which I believe had a refit, are these the Oerlikons I would need ?

Jon

Strictly speaking there were three shapes of splinter shields available with Oerlikons. Assuming they were singles rather than powered twins, then these are the correct basic gun. I haven't studied Hermione to know which are the correct sub-variant though. That said, you can give anyone who picks you up on the wrong Oerlikon splinter shields in 1/700 a slap with my blessing.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

Strictly speaking there were three shapes of splinter shields available with Oerlikons. Assuming they were singles rather than powered twins, then these are the correct basic gun. I haven't studied Hermione to know which are the correct sub-variant though. That said, you can give anyone who picks you up on the wrong Oerlikon splinter shields in 1/700 a slap with my blessing.

I have a photo that is supposed to be on board Hermione, showing a single barrelled Oerlikon, and the shield looks to be very similar. Pity the parts have to come from NZ, it makes the postage more than the parts, don’t think the old credit card can manage that. And anyway, I only need 5, so buying 24 is a bit excessive.

Jon

• 4 weeks later...

That's another month passed. I need to stop saying stupid things such as "quick build". In fact I should probably just stop posting as I'm not sure it's a help or a hinderance knowing how infrequently I touch models nowadays.

I had to clear off my wooden stick with blutac on to make space for HMS Middleton, so the easiest way to do that and not lose everything was to glue it to HMS Chiddingfold.

resized_c5687ac1-206b-4d9d-b2d8-82dffb7d

• Like 12

Jamie, she looks brilliant, and believe me your posts are always a help and never a hinderance, especially to a not as capable modeller such as myself and probably many others. As you can see, there are over 2.5k views on this thread alone, so you must be doing something right. Just do them as you fancy there is no rush, I for one will wait to see any updates.

Mick

• 2 weeks later...

Motivation remains a serious issue and not just for modelling. I'd like some time off without annoyances and irritants.

It's taken weeks but I got the minutes' worth of painting done on HMS Middleton now, so it's starting to catch up with HMS Chiddingfold again.

8b9063b1-3ffd-4cbd-8609-f4cf77f8f015.jpg

• Like 12

17 minutes ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

Motivation remains a serious issue and not just for modelling

Jamie. I know how you feel, sometimes its best just to wander away.

Have to say though, those two do look good.

Jon

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

I'd like some time off without annoyances and irritants.

OK I will say nothing  :whistle:

except for cracking work so far

Stay Safe

beefy

• Haha 2