Asymmetric national markings and serials

Blimpyboy

It seems there are a number of air arms out there that have asymmetric national marking and/or serial layouts. To me, this makes for an interesting modelling - and general discussion - theme, so here's casting the net out there for any aircraft featuring said layouts.

CAVEAT - I'm not referring to the US-style asymmetrical placement of the same type of insignia and serials. I mean instances of two different insignia and/or marking styles on each side of the airframe!

Examples that spring immediately to mind are Canada (way back) and Zimbabwe.

Canada (not the same aircraft but indicative of the historical timeframe)

https://s3.eu-west-2.amazonaws.com/abpic-media-eu-production/pictures/full_size_0336/1503716-large.jpg

and

9463L.jpg

and

89-03d.jpg

Zimbabwe:

http://www.rodbearden.com/South Africa 2018/AAD Airshow/Hongdu K-8 Karakorum Zimbabwe AF 2104E 5.JPG

and

http://www.rodbearden.com/South Africa 2018/AAD Airshow/Hongdu K-8 Karakorum Zimbabwe AF 2104E 2.html

and

DTgrulvWsAAfKWq?format=jpg&name=large

4300910_5a9a7644lr_jpege134be9dbbb40315d

and

Helicopter-0701-HR0092-1-1-PAGE-1.jpg

QBnoBHs.jpg

Over to you!

Edited by Blimpyboy

I know I'm old and not that bright, but I'm just not getting what you mean by " asymmetric " markings.

I know Poland had different sized upper wing markings before the 1939 German invasion, but other than that, I don't know of what you speak.

Chris

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dogsbody said:

I know I'm old and not that bright

Hey, don't knock yourself!

I probably could have worded the title differently - sorry.

I mean the use of different national insignia or titling/serials on the two sides of an aircraft. The photos above show how the Canadian Tracker has English/French titling on different sides of the fuselage, while the Zimbabwean aircraft have a different national insignia on each side of their tail fins.

Most air arms tend to have insignia/marking symmetry on their fuselage sides; however I'm interested in those that may have completely different versions on each side.

I hope that helps,

BB

P.S. The Polish insignia is an interesting one I'd completely forgotten! Thanks!

Edited by Blimpyboy
  • Like 1

Canada does it that way because we have two official languages, French and English. That means that everything in the country, from cereal boxes to a car's owners manual have to be printed in both languages. It's cost the country many millions of dollars since it first became law in the 70's.

Chris

Not sure if it’s what you mean but I’ve always thought it a bit odd how US aircraft often have the Stars & Stripes reversed on the right side of the fin. I don’t think I’ve ever seen an American flag normally with the stars top right, they’re always top left aren’t they? 

Why is the flag the wrong way round on one side?

C608-CB5-F-13-E8-453-D-A1-AB-131650-EDCA

I imagine it's meant to be analogous to a flag on a ship where the star panel of the US flag is next to the jackstaff and therefore to the front (as long as you're going faster than a wind from the rear).  Most countries have rules about how flags must be displayed.

By convention the White Ensign, red duster or blue duster, and similar flags are shown with the Union Flag element top left, but on any ship are reversed if you are looking from the "wrong" side.  

Similarly most aircraft markings like the bars on the tail of RAF planes are reversed on one side, in RAF case so red forwards.

• Like 3