HELP ! What color were the 100 lb bombs carried by the U.S.Navy in the 1930’s ?

Corsairfoxfouruncle

Help anyone ... Im looking for the correct colir used on 110 lb bombs used by navy aircraft in the late 1930’s ? I’ve seen zinc chromate yellow Dark green, Red, and Black on bombs from the late 1930’s ? What color is correct, any help will be greatly appreciated. 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

Believe it or not, it is the old standard of olive drab and yellow it they are "live bombs(intended to blow up)". Practice bombs(which might have a smoke marker to show where it is and if you hit your target) would be blue; either entirely, or, a blue ring painted on the nose. There was a "Blue" color to use. I am not sure, but, it might be the "True Blue" which also was used as a paint color on USAAF and USN/USMC aircraft. I can't remember the magazine; @72modeler does, and it has the colors used from WW1(when the colors to use for things that fall from aircraft; or, are shot from cannons) to the present day. Fine Scale Magazine's latest issue has an article where one author shows either 22 or 42 different shades of "Olive Drab". HTH

Joe

• Thanks 1

You have but to ask, Dennis!   Replica in Scale,  volume 2, number 3-4, spring and summer, 1974. On page 129:

Painting and Marking bombs, 1920's-30's

demolition/incendiary/fragmentation: dull, flat yellow

chemical: glossy grey

practice: flat white

empty fragmentation/demolition/incendiary: flat red 

dummy: flat white

There were colored bands applied just behind the cg for each type listed above- if you need those, em me and I'll send them to you.

Hope this helps!

Mike

Edited by 72modeler
added text
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1