Revell 1/32 Hawker Tempest.

stevej60

Hi folk's, as another year start's with no sign of a new tool Revell 1/32 Hurricane I was delighted to see this re-box

of Special Hobbies Tempest,when Jadlam advertised it for £37 I grabbed it as a birthday present from the family.

It's big! I had once tried to build their Airacobra so was aware of the shiny plastic sometime's soft detailing and a few

rough edges that sure enough are present on this kit but nothing the average modeller like me can't handle and just

look at that scheme!

20210204_190311

20210211_191111

• Like 15

Afternoon folk's,I thought I'd start yesterday with the boxing in of the wheel wells 12 parts make up this stage a dry fit is a must and a little

trimming needed,the leading edge section is a long full length piece and nowhere in the instructions does it tell you which round to fit it so the

angular molded detail towards the outer wing maybe upside down!

20210213_154121

next was the cockpit section and what a beautiful job SH has done on it a little fiddly but will look great under paint.

20210213_151325

• Like 9

It must be the time of year, I'm also building a Tempest mine though is a PCM one, but I do have the SH kit in the stash as well so will be keeping an eye out on this build.

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 2

Yes it looks like the forum name will now be Tempests in progress instead of work in progress.

And I thought we had a lot of Hinds on the go…

Still thankfully I love the tornado/typhoon/tempest family.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 3

Afternoon folk's,today I was determined to get the Me 109 cockpit glazing finished before all else but in between trimming,scraping and a 

bit of swearing I managed to get some paint and detailing done on the Tempest,it really does look nice painted and after this photo was 

done assembled it without issue's.a fine brush was used with watered down NATO black and ran into the recessed areas.

20210214_152811

• Like 12

Hi Steve!  I recently finished my Revell/ Special Hobby Tempest and it turns out great.

I did a WIP that you may find helpful,  including the wheel well walls orientation.   Hope you have less hassle with the wing fitting.  Don't worry,  it's worth it in the end.

Cheers

WIP linked below.

Edited by Bill Bunting
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi folk's,assembled the fuselage without any issues a dry run or two and a little swipe here and there with wet'n dry makes a difference

same process with the tail and elevator's ensure's a good fit.

20210215_171205

• Like 8

Hi folk's,well it's been a long time coming but the first issue's come to light,the two part nose seems to be two different sizes!

I glued it overnight but had to cut it apart today then re-glue the top edge first and leave to set as can be seen that's gonna take

some fixing!

20210216_100435

Then issue number two,the upper wing's took a bit of time to set right but were not as bad as expected however the next stage threw up

a real sod of an issue.

20210216_103704

All look's well now in fact the wing fuselage joint is really nice but to get to this stage I had to cut away the bottom half of the front

cockpit bulkhead and a fair portion of the framework thankfully nothing can be seen looking down into the cockpit,I've checked my

placement of the cockpit tub and the wheel well's against the instruction's and other builds and I think all was correct but the framing

was at least 4-5mm wider than the gap between the wheel well inboard side's.

• Like 5
  • Sad 3

10 minutes ago, B_Bogus said:

Great progress so far.

I got to the stage of joining the cowling halves and ordered a Barracudacast nose!

A wise decision!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Hi folk's,well it's been a long time coming but the first issue's come to light,the two part nose seems to be two different sizes!

I glued it overnight but had to cut it apart today then re-glue the top edge first and leave to set as can be seen that's gonna take

some fixing!

Then issue number two,the upper wing's took a bit of time to set right but were not as bad as expected however the next stage threw up

a real sod of an issue.

All look's well now in fact the wing fuselage joint is really nice but to get to this stage I had to cut away the bottom half of the front

cockpit bulkhead and a fair portion of the framework thankfully nothing can be seen looking down into the cockpit,I've checked my

placement of the cockpit tub and the wheel well's against the instruction's and other builds and I think all was correct but the framing

was at least 4-5mm wider than the gap between the wheel well inboard side's.

That nose problem sounds like it's going to be a bit of a challenge, maybe some more cutting is required, and I can sympathise with the wing to fuselage joint as my PCM Tempest really need some drastic cutting to make it fit, but that's what this modelling lark is all about.

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 3

1 hour ago, stevej60 said:

A wise decision!

The time saved was worth it for me, but correction of the spinner/nose profile is what the set is really about, and once you compare the two it becomes apparent that it's not just a subtle difference either. 

• Like 1

Wow, that's fast progress.  I remember I had to 'narrow' the lower cockpit,  wheel well inner walls and roof and take some off the upper wing inner edges to get a good fit.

Strange about the nose parts, I assembled mine just compare to the Barracuda nose and had no issues at all.

I had a lot of hassle with the Barracuda nose as it was short shot (as I've heard others) so you may not have saved any time there.

Looking good though!

• Like 2