A classic Monogram/Revell kit: B-17G in 1/48

I had a lot of fun with this classic 70ies kit. Detailing is not up to today´s standards, but the fit is great. I had lost a part of the landing gear, so I used a white metal replacement from SAC. Apart from that and Eduard masks it is OOB.

One great thing about this kit is that you can attach the wings without glue for better storage. I tried it and it came out perfect. The gap is hardly visible. When everything was finished I made photos and looking at them I saw that I had forgotten to spray the anti-glare in front of the cockpit (see the last photo). So I had to mask and spray again and in the process I destroyed part of the "Scorchy" decal. I decided to leave it like that. The base colour is Tamiya LP38 with several panels in Alclad airframe aluminium. Unfortunately there is little contrast. The panel lines were highlighted with thinned Tamiya "Smoke". Decals are from the Revell boxing and did not behave well.

Now I have to think where to store it. There is definitely no place to exhibt her in my house. Span is 66cm:

spacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thanks for looking

Volker

• Like 44
  • Thanks 1

That was quite a kit in its time. It took me two years to finish mine (1986) because you easily loose your mojo with painting the huge panels. Looking at your fine model I'm ashamed of my much less advanced efforts - restoration urgently needed.

• Like 1

Great to see one of these built up, built the monogram model years ago, being inspired by Shep Paine’s diorama, tried to weather it naturally by leaving it out on the flat roof of the garage, it didn’t end well!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Farmerboy said:

tried to weather it naturally by leaving it out on the flat roof of the garage

That's an interesting method - unheard of. It might need a few years exposure, tough...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Threadbear said:

Again, remember building this kit as a youngster and being very proud of the result. I remember building "Nine-0-Nine" and using pastel chalks for the first time on the exhausts,

Same here regarding the exhausts. I also incorporated for the first time shade variations of olive drab on random panels. It was one of my best efforts as a young builder.

• Like 1