Air New Zealand DHC Dash 8-300

Ray S

Hello all, I have just completed this lovely little kit for the Australian and New Zealand Group Build here on Britmodeller, the build log can be seen here if you are interested:

I was lucky enough to find my way out to New Zealand in 2017, and had a flight in one of these from Christchurch to Nelson, and what a wonderful aircraft it is too!

It was with some excitement that I found out last year that OzMods did a model of one with the white/black fern leaf design that I personally think looks a classic. Opening the box, I found out why it was 'for experienced modellers', but having dealt with that sort of thing before, I gave it a go. I am happy with how it came out, but I did make a few errors (all in the log!). The worst was a slight discrepancy in the masking for the black part of the fuselage. I think I got it about 5mm too far forward, and, when I aligned the cabin window/door strips so the doors where part on the white, part on the black, the windows and forward doors wher too far forward too. I do apologise for that.

I also think there were one or two bits that I could have tidied up a bit more, but basically what you see is what was supplied in the kit (except paint/glue/filler!). The transfers were very good indeed, but you are warned not to use setting agents, only water and washing up liquid. Some of our Forum Members could do a fabulous job with one of these, as for me, I am happy with it.

Anyway, this is what I ended up with:

DSCN6972

DSCN6973

DSCN6975

DSCN6976

DSCN6977

DSCN6978

DSCN6979

DSCN6982

DSCN6980 (2)

DSCN6983

This, hopefully, will set me in good stead for the FRsin ATR-72 I also have, with the earlier bluish-tailed ANZ scheme.

Thanks for looking, and please forgive the errors!

Take care all, Ray

PS, please do pop over to the Australian and New Zealand Group Build, there are a lot of cracking builds of all genres going on there and is well worth a look!

Edited by Ray S
Tidy the post
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 1

Lovely build Ray, thanks for sharing.  

I have the BA version in the stash and your GB thread will be very handy when I come to build it. I wish OzMods had a bigger range - I really enjoyed building their Bristol Freighter a couple of years ago

Dave G

• Like 1